Training Axeman’s training reports and discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

According to the AFL Prospectus, Brand ranks 7th in the comp for defensive 1 on 1 win rate.

He has deficiencies, but there's no one else knocking the door down. I expect he'll be played whenever the opposition's forward line demands another tall defender. We can't go with Sicily or Stratton as lockdown KPDs.

According to the AFL Prospectus, Brand ranks 7th in the comp for defensive 1 on 1 win rate.

He has deficiencies, but there's no one else knocking the door down. I expect he'll be played whenever the opposition's forward line demands another tall defender. We can't go with Sicily or Stratton as lockdown KPDs.

I like the potential of Scrimshaw more....

I like the potential of Scrimshaw more....
Different roles but yes Scrimshaw has the tools more suited to Clarko's gameplan

The issue with Brand is really that if he doesn't come on it leaves our KPD stocks even worse than they currently are

Scrimshaw won't be a KPD, neither will Sicily or O'Brien, we need at least one decent sized bloke on the list who can play down back when Chip retires

Well, the AFL prospectus is flat out wrong. He had a contested defensive loss percentage of 42.9 to Frawley's 18.4 last year. He lost 9 from 21 one-on-ones.

Interesting side point: Sicily, Hardwick, Stratton and Frawley combined only conceded 20% of defensive one-on-ones.

Brand and Burton combined for 41%.

Last edited:
Brand will be an interesting one. Agree he is suspect 1v1 sitting under a high ball. If the ball comes in a bit quicker (6-6-6) format out of the middle I would back his speed and judgment to get to the ball /contest more and acquit himself well.

Agree with Bumps"N"Grins that Mohr is a cheap Frawley back up. Constant migraines can be and ass an debilitating for several days.

Different roles but yes Scrimshaw has the tools more suited to Clarko's gameplan

The issue with Brand is really that if he doesn't come on it leaves our KPD stocks even worse than they currently are

Scrimshaw won't be a KPD, neither will Sicily or O'Brien, we need at least one decent sized bloke on the list who can play down back when Chip retires

I imagine that's where we're looking at Koschitzke playing in the future, hopefully sooner rather than later considering the size of the kid.

For the time being Stratton and Frawley are more than capable of handling most 1st and 2nd talls, but as others have said Frawley is declining and losing the pace that made him such an effective stopper.

Mohr is good cover for Chip, and good support for Kosi as he develops at VFL level - but due to our focus on systems I don't feel our KPD situation is that dire. Defense starts in the midfield.

On the surface I know you sound right.
But, watching Scrimmers highlights he's very clever reading the flight, Excellent speed, NOT making contact with his opponent unless working him under a deep moving ball, and a nice mark. All skills I think Brand lacks.
Also think young Scrimshaw can learn when to play safe with the big fist arriving late as opposed to just being a biggish body under the ball, which again is more what I see Brand trying to do.

I reckon Scrimshaw would have a sneaky chance to be a quality CHB, in the Ashley McIntosh (192cm 99kg) / Dustin Fletcher (198cm 92kg) style of play with a nice leap and then be a real zinger bringing it to ground, quicker than his CHF opposition, and such a beautiful quality outlet with that left foot.

Kaiden Brand: 198cm 98kg
Jack Scrimshaw: 193 88kg

On the surface I know you sound right.
But, watching Scrimmers highlights he's very clever reading the flight, Excellent speed, NOT making contact with his opponent unless working him under a deep moving ball, and a nice mark. All skills I think Brand lacks.
Also think young Scrimshaw can learn when to play safe with the big fist arriving late as opposed to just being a biggish body under the ball, which again is more what I see Brand trying to do.

I reckon Scrimshaw would have a sneaky chance to be a quality CHB, in the Ashley McIntosh (192cm 99kg) / Dustin Fletcher (198cm 92kg) style of play with a nice leap and then be a real zinger bringing it to ground, quicker than his CHF opposition, and such a beautiful quality outlet with that left foot.

Kaiden Brand: 198cm 98kg
Jack Scrimshaw: 193 88kg

I wouldn't make that comparison, as McIntosh combined his athleticism with raw strength. Wayne Carey rated him as the physically strongest opponent he ever played against. Fletcher also had a wiry strength and targeted lack of coordination about him.

Scrimshaw has neither of those and it'd be playing more to his weaknesses than his strengths to ask him to become a CHB.

I think Brand has shown enough in his time here to be a very serviceable key defender.

Hope we persevere with him and give him plenty of game time this season.

I think Brand has shown enough in his time here to be a very serviceable key defender.

We don't have much else, so if his form warrants, he will get games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brand has also struggled with decision making with ball in hand.

He coped an expletive laden spray during the intra club from smith and cegs when he clearly went against teams rules and sent the ball back across from where it came.

He's still a big ? If he comes good it would be a huge bonus.

Yeah Brand isnt a player with Footy IQ in spades but in the match v Carlton his kicking was impressive. Must've been a good spray

A serviceable key defender, and a classic swing man, and a ripping forward: tall and fast. When he lines up for his fourth in the last quarter in round 1 vs the Crows to put us 41pts up, the Brandwagon will be in full swing.
A re-Branded Brand? You betcha!
And if anyone tells me I'm getting ahead of myself, I'll spew up.

Last edited:
I see Mohr as insurance cover for Frawley rather than competition for Brand. My observations from the many sessions I have attended over the Summer are that Brand seems to have much more confidence in his own ability and has moved past needing a Hodge or Burgoyne to tell him where to be. His performance in the intraclub backs that up. Looks to me like a guy that is ready to take his game to the next level.

I see Mohr as insurance cover for Frawley rather than competition for Brand. My observations from the many sessions I have attended over the Summer are that Brand seems to have much more confidence in his own ability and has moved past needing a Hodge or Burgoyne to tell him where to be. His performance in the intraclub backs that up. Looks to me like a guy that is ready to take his game to the next level.

I'd go as far as saying Mohr was recruited to do the heavy lifting at Box Hill to allow Kosi time to develop.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surprised by some of the stuff I am reading about Brand.

Needs a massive year.
ditto, seems like he invented sliced bread pre-season, I hope the other guys are right

Hope so, mate.

I watched him in the intra-club, and he did appear more confident. I'll never write anyone off because confidence is key to everything (remember Jonathon Hay's demise) and if he takes that confidence into the season that will manifest progression.

Surprised by some of the stuff I am reading about Brand.

Needs a massive year.

Yep, I’m not convinced yet.

Clarko has dropped Brand too many times in the past. I presume he’s not always following team rules.

Let’s see what he brings in 2019.

Yep, I’m not convinced yet.

Clarko has dropped Brand too many times in the past. I presume he’s not always following team rules.

Let’s see what he brings in 2019.
I think the constant dropping of Brand is a big part of the problem with his development.

For me Brand is the classic "confidence" player who needs a coach to back him in for a solid run of games to really get the best from him.

Honestly TOB had a crap load more games in the seniors than Brand for less output than Brand produced in his hand full of games (in my opinion anyway) so I say Brand is worth an investment of say 8 games straight to see what he can produce.

I think the constant dropping of Brand is a big part of the problem with his development.

For me Brand is the classic "confidence" player who needs a coach to back him in for a solid run of games to really get the best from him.

Honestly TOB had a crap load more games in the seniors than Brand for less output than Brand produced in his hand full of games (in my opinion anyway) so I say Brand is worth an investment of say 8 games straight to see what he can produce.
We play a team defence and brand just wasn’t where he was supposed to be. That is concentration and knowing your role. Let’s hope he has over come those issues as he has the physical attributes to be a good defender.

We play a team defence and brand just wasn’t where he was supposed to be. That is concentration and knowing your role. Let’s hope he has over come those issues as he has the physical attributes to be a good defender.

The modern professional game is far more mental than physical at the edge of elite performance. Confidence in a player's physical gifts is a first or second year problem only. After getting some meat on the bones and some size, the difference between top tier performance and the seconds is decision making, pure and simple. This is evidenced by some players who are built like a Greek god but are always half a step off the play despite their physical gift, contrasted against players like Lake who carried a little extra and was never ripped but had phenomenal decision making skills on the field (shame about his off field decision making).

So Brand, or any other player for that matter, will live or die by his ability to be in the right place at the right time (see Spangher who played every game like it was his last but was a middling player in physical gifts). It's a mental thing at the top level. Can you decide and act faster than the other guy? It's that simple.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back