BBL Game 6 Sydney Thunder v Brisbane Heat 1845hrs @ Manuka Oval

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Im gathering Channel 7 and/or Kayo must have missed the wide ball earlier in the over. (first ball of that over)
No they didn't.

Are you aware of what I'm even referring to?

The second ball of the over (after the wide ball). The one that led to the LBW review.

Just to set the scene. The Heat were on 19 runs after three overs. With the first ball of the fourth over, there was a wide, taking the total to 20. With the following ball (the first legal delivery of the over) the ball hit the pad. Initially the umpire called 'Not out' and the ball deflected off the pad and went for two runs.

The score ticked over to 22, but the Thunder appealed a potential LBW. The appeal showed the ball hit the pad and not the bat, but the umpire's call remained after ball tracking revealed it was close. So although the decision remained 'not out', those runs shouldn't have counted. So Flemmo said there's no way those runs should count and he'd expect those runs to be removed.

With two balls remaining, the TV score showed 24 runs. The next ball, there was a wicket. The TV coverage went to an ad break. On return, with the new batter at the crease, the TV score adjusted to 22. Betfair was still showing 24 runs.

There was a single off the final ball taking it to 23 runs. This was on both Channel 7 and Kayo.

On return from the ad break, the score still showed 1/23. It then ticked over to 1/25 prior to the fifth over commencing.

Check it out... Let me know your thoughts. I'd be interested :)

Scoreboard on Kayo went like this:

24/0 off 3.4

after Josh Brown got out it went to

22/1 off 3.5 overs
then
23/1 off 4.0 overs

Definite Kayo Scoreboard mistake.

I like to have: Cricinfo, Cricbuzz and online scoreboard open. And you just never fully trust any scoreboard as it can be open to human error at times.
Channel seven would be even better if you can watch that... With Flemmo and Lisa commentating. There was a fair bit of commentary about it.

You've mentioned Cricinfo which I use as well. There was commentary there also, evidenced by the arrow in the below screenshot.

1702428467206.png

Check it out... Let me know your thoughts. I'd be interested :)
I watched it on Kayo again. (Dont have the Channel 7 replay )

Start of the 3rd over

Thunder were 21/0

3.0 Wide . Brisbane 22/0
3.1 LBW Appeal. Went to decision DRS. Given not out . The 2 runs are counted to the scoreboard despite it hitting the legs.(leg byes) Had that been given LBW, the 2 runs wouldnt have counted. Brisbane 24/0
3.2 Dot ball. Brisbane 24/0
3.3 Dot ball. Brisbane 24/0
3.4 Dot ball. Brisbane 24/0
3.5 Wicket. Brisbane should be 24/1

Foxsports take 2 runs off change score from 24/1 to 22/1

3.6 1 run. Brisbane 23/1 on scoreboard when it should be 25/1

Vaughan, BJ and Mark Waugh didnt make mention of the adjust in score either.

Not sure what Fleming said on comms but anyone with cricket knowledge knows if you run on LBW decision and the players go through with the run/runs - they count.

I watched it on Kayo again. (Dont have the Channel 7 replay )

Start of the 3rd over

Thunder were 21/0

3.0 Wide . Brisbane 22/0
3.1 LBW Appeal. Went to decision DRS. Given not out . The 2 runs are counted to the scoreboard despite it hitting the legs.(leg byes) Had that been given LBW, the 2 runs wouldnt have counted. Brisbane 24/0
3.2 Dot ball. Brisbane 24/0
3.3 Dot ball. Brisbane 24/0
3.4 Dot ball. Brisbane 24/0
3.5 Wicket. Brisbane should be 24/1

Foxsports take 2 runs off change score from 24/1 to 22/1

3.6 1 run. Brisbane 23/1 on scoreboard when it should be 25/1

Vaughan, BJ and Mark Waugh didnt make mention of the adjust in score either.

Not sure what Fleming said on comms but anyone with cricket knowledge knows if you run on LBW decision and the players go through with the run/runs - they count.
Thanks for your feedback.

Regardless, there are consequences when data is displayed incorrectly. Someone is wrong (your cricket knowledge is superior to mine so I value your input highly). I just can't shake the fact that Flemming, a former international Cricketer, should know the rules. It wouldn't surprise me if he is wrong on something, but the amount of professional sportspersons who aren't completely over the rules of their profession is outrageous.

Channel seven would be even better if you can watch that... With Flemmo and Lisa commentating. There was a fair bit of commentary about it.

You've mentioned Cricinfo which I use as well. There was commentary there also, evidenced by the arrow in the below screenshot.

View attachment 1870903
if you have the Channel 7 link id be keen to how they commentated on that? I watched the Kayo feed for the first 10 overs of Brisbanes innings, then switched over to channel 7 in the 2nd half of their innings.

Cricbuzzs commentary at the time:

View attachment 1870916
So that seems to suggest the umpire shouldn't have given it as runs?

Does an umpire have to make a decision then and there?

Couldn't the third umpire communicate with the on field umpire to adjust the runs total before the next over commences? Obviously this didn't occur. Is that something that would normally happen?

Thanks for your feedback.

Regardless, there are consequences when data is displayed incorrectly. Someone is wrong (your cricket knowledge is superior to mine so I value your input highly). I just can't shake the fact that Flemming, a former international Cricketer, should know the rules. It wouldn't surprise me if he is wrong on something, but the amount of professional sportspersons who aren't completely over the rules of their profession is outrageous.
If it makes you feel better, I wont lie to you, I have been stung by scoreboards in the past as well. My advice would be to do your own headcount of the score as well as reference check on reputable: Cricinfo and Cricbuzz.

You take your own risk when you read their feeds/view their scoreboards. Television companies unfortunately arent liable for providing wrong info for your bet slips.

if you have the Channel 7 link id be keen to how they commentated on that? I watched the Kayo feed for the first 10 overs of Brisbanes innings, then switched over to channel 7 in the 2nd half of their innings.
Unfortunately I can't assist.

For some reason 7Plus don't have the BBL. You can't even watch it live on 7Plus. Something to do with the channel seven contract. They can show it live on 7mate, but not on 7Plus. It's bizarre.

Same as during footy season. I know this applies to Saturday night (perhaps Friday night and Sunday also), but you can't watch the live match on 7Plus. It has to be through normal channels.

If it makes you feel better, I wont lie to you, I have been stung by scoreboards in the past as well. My advice would be to do your own headcount of the score as well as reference check on reputable: Cricinfo and Cricbuzz.

You take your own risk when you read their feeds/view their scoreboards. Television companies unfortunately arent liable for providing wrong info for your bet slips.
Yeah, thanks mate.

Very annoying but we move on.

I actually got lucky BF suspended the market immediately. My loss could have been in the thousands, and would have been in the thousands had the market not suspended.

So that seems to suggest the umpire shouldn't have given it as runs?

Does an umpire have to make a decision then and there?

Couldn't the third umpire communicate with the on field umpire to adjust the runs total before the next over commences? Obviously this didn't occur. Is that something that would normally happen?

Watching the footage again , the umpire was about to signal leg byes. (Kayo didnt show it but the umpire was indicating he was going to signal 2 leg byes runs before the camera panned away). Umpire Davidsion(think thats his name), was gesturing towards signalling leg byes.

Yes if the umpire thinks it wasnt an LBW, he has to signal leg bye/s (again Kayo who are pretty woeful with their camera work as a whole ) if run/s are taken. Around that same time, Chris Green signalled the T symbol for a Review. So you may have missed as a TV viewer be cause Kayo went to the replay. Kayo was more focussing on Chris Green and his signal for DRS at the time. (the timer and Chris Green were in focus)

Ive seen instances where runs have been adjusted at the end of the over or end of an innings. Although the latter is a more of a rarity these days.

Back