BBL Match 44 Melbourne Stars v Brisbane Heat 1845hrs @ the MCG

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Cartwright survive with his Fielding?
To me Hilton has long been the unsung glue of that team. Whenever highly touted OS duds have gone missing or local stars have been out of sorts, injured or unavailable, it is Cartwright that has so often stood tall. Never flashy or spectacular but I would take him over the likes of Stoinis any day.

You could say 7-8 of the players tonight should not be

Seymour gets a pass and so does Zampa and Rogers

Who else?
David Hussey as coach has to go first.

My report card for the Stars this season

Joe Clarke C-
Tom Rogers B
Cartwright B-
Beau Webster C
Stoinis F
Nick Larkin D+
Glenn Maxwell N/A
NCN D-
Luke Wood D+
Campbell Kellaway E
Adam Zampa B-
James Seymour B-
Hinchliffe C-
Liam Hatcher A-

Everyone there is up on the firing line bar: Liam Hatcher, Zampa and Tom Rogers. It is a shockingly assembled side. And reading from the social media posts, the Stars fans are sick of David Hussey now. A suggestion for Stars to chase? how about go and Chase Cameron White, get someone with a Victorian cricket feel to get this team up and going again.

To me Hilton has long been the unsung glue of that team. Whenever highly touted OS duds have gone missing or local stars have been out of sorts, injured or unavailable, it is Cartwright that has so often stood tall. Never flashy or spectacular but I would take him over the likes of Stoinis any day.
Agree he's a 100,% competitor.

My little theory on Stoinis is that he wants to play for the Stars because in his world, the man with the big rig and the big strut sees the mecca of Aussie cricket as where he deserves to strut his stuff 7 times a season. If the Stars win the title, that's a bonus. Harsh? Probably but that's how I perceive him anyway.

And I doubt if he would be on half the $ the endless list of big-name flops have received there. So many times he has gone out and repaired an innings after they have dudded it up.
I think the Stars should stop looking for the big international player.And pick from the local Victorian competition.Players that would love the opportunity to play BBL.

My little theory on Stoinis is that he wants to play for the Stars because in his world, the man with the big rig and the big strut sees the mecca of Aussie cricket as where he deserves to strut his stuff 7 times a season. If the Stars win the title, that's a bonus. Harsh? Probably but that's how I perceive him anyway.
He pulls out the one great innings each season that keeps him on the books. When it was revealed that he and NCN had missed a game to go home and spend time with their families at Xmas, my daughter said, "If they can't be bothered to turn up to play, why should we turn up to watch?"

Who would win the Stars player of the year? Webster? Zampa? NCN even...? Not a great deal to choose from
[/Q
He pulls out the one great innings each season that keeps him on the books. When it was revealed that he and NCN had missed a game to go home and spend time with their families at Xmas, my daughter said, "If they can't be bothered to turn up to play, why should we turn up to watch?"
New years eve

Joe Clarke C-
Tom Rogers B
Cartwright B-
Beau Webster C
Stoinis F
Nick Larkin D+
Glenn Maxwell N/A
NCN D-
Luke Wood D+
Campbell Kellaway E
Adam Zampa B-
James Seymour B-
Hinchliffe C-
Liam Hatcher A-

Everyone there is up on the firing line bar: Liam Hatcher, Zampa and Tom Rogers. It is a shockingly assembled side. And reading from the social media posts, the Stars fans are sick of David Hussey now. A suggestion for Stars to chase? how about go and Chase Cameron White, get someone with a Victorian cricket feel to get this team up and going again.
A bit harsh on Clarke there (Although fair if you are including his W/K)

I think the Stars should stop looking for the big international player.And pick from the local Victorian competition.Players that would love the opportunity to play BBL.

When their team is called the Stars they need to try and attract big name players to justify their name. When they started up they had the likes of Kevin Pietersen and Shane Warne in their team, genuine stars, the team they have now is pretty much devoid of stars especially with Maxwell out injured.

Joe Clarke C-
Tom Rogers B
Cartwright B-
Beau Webster C
Stoinis F
Nick Larkin D+
Glenn Maxwell N/A
NCN D-
Luke Wood D+
Campbell Kellaway E
Adam Zampa B-
James Seymour B-
Hinchliffe C-
Liam Hatcher A-

Fair although harsh on Kelleway hasn’t had that many opportunities

As for the coach I’d go after someone not associated with Vic cricket think they need someone completely different. Zampa as captain doesn’t enthuse me much either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does Cartwright survive with his Fielding?

Has he been above C grade this year? That’s the problem. Hate using the Sixers as a comparison but Silk is fairly similar and you’d say Silk has had a much better year. You might keep Cartwright but not at number 3/4. Should be at 5.

Great going from the pea hearts, even when I want the duds to wins they pull out a typical Stars finishing performance.

They should target good players from other sides that can't get a regular game for a start.

They would be a better side straight away with Kelly and Bancroft from the Scorchers.

Fair although harsh on Kelleway hasn’t had that many opportunities

As for the coach I’d go after someone not associated with Vic cricket think they need someone completely different. Zampa as captain doesn’t enthuse me much either

They have the perfect coach with their team now and perhaps a future Australian coach.Glen Maxwell whose days as a top line cricketer are nearly over because of that injury.His future if not as a coach surely is also in the media,knows a lot about cricket and is easy to listen to.

They have the perfect coach with their team now and perhaps a future Australian coach.Glen Maxwell whose days as a top line cricketer are nearly over because of that injury.His future if not as a coach surely is also in the media,knows a lot about cricket and is easy to listen to.

As good a brain Maxwell is do feel that’s a silly idea they need a complete reboot and getting someone completely external should be paramount

As good a brain Maxwell is do feel that’s a silly idea they need a complete reboot and getting someone completely external should be paramount

Fair call but Maxwell as a coach else where makes sense and even in the media in the future even better.,Sadly his cricket future is there and as I have said on BF numerous times the biggest waste of talent in cricket I have seen for a long time because the Australian selectors would not give him the chance to play red ball cricket.

Fair call but Maxwell as a coach else where makes sense and even in the media in the future even better.,Sadly his cricket future is there and as I have said on BF numerous times the biggest waste of talent in cricket I have seen for a long time because the Australian selectors would not give him the chance to play red ball cricket.
Maxwell is still earning millions of dollars as a player.
Can't see him coaching anytime soon TBH.

Hussey is going so you will need a new one.
I still think the place needs a clean out.

Here is another few for Stars fans to contemplate over?

Chuck Berry- I think he is doing a pretty good job at the Canes.

Damien Fleming- rough horse but he comes from a winning background. eg 1999 World Cup

Both would be a breath of fresh air in the Stars camp, I mention David Hussey is on the firing line because of results and there seems to be an acceptable standard which is 'mediocrity'

I'm personally all for a good Mankading, but it's becoming a bit ridiculous in the BBL at the moment. The warning Webster gave Kuhnemann last night was a joke. I believe it was Gilchrist who summed it up well. Bit rich to give a Mankad warning when you've clearly pulled out of the delivery. Wonder how much they're being premeditated.

I'm personally all for a good Mankading, but it's becoming a bit ridiculous in the BBL at the moment. The warning Webster gave Kuhnemann last night was a joke. I believe it was Gilchrist who summed it up well. Bit rich to give a Mankad warning when you've clearly pulled out of the delivery. Wonder how much they're being premeditated.
Kuhnemann hadnt even left the creaseg when Webster pulled out of the delivery, he walked out after Beau had run through the crease.

Kuhnemann hadnt even left the creaseg when Webster pulled out of the delivery, he walked out after Beau had run through the crease.
I said it at the time, I reckon it was purely a tactical ploy to try and unsettle Renshaw but considering Renshaw at the time was absolutely spent, I reckon all it achieved was allowing Renshaw more time to get his breath back and settle his mind which contributed to the match winning shot on the last ball

Back