Rumour Beams coming on heavy, hot and strong (Beams & picks 41 & 44 for 18, 56, COL's 2019 1st rd)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Think with Beams there's a clear distinction between leadership and maturity.

You can't rewrite history and forego his contribution to the club - he stepped up in a period of instability and drove a cultural change. He was a great captain, the best since Brown (admittedly not a Melbourne Cup field) and stepped up in big moments on the field.

However, he has handled this situation poorly. I have all the sympathy in the world for his circumstances, his family and his battle with mental illness. But those factors don't exempt him from being mature. From the Caroline Wilson response, to the BnF, communicating with the club and a frankly poor choice of words in the aftermath of the trade, it's pretty clear he is lacking in this department... frankly it's the reverse Rockliff.

I presume people have seen his video he posted to Magpies fans...

"My heart has always been with this footy club (Collingwood)...I've got to thank the club (Collingwood) for allowing me to go to Brisbane four years ago to spend some time with my Dad"

The language and choice of words speaks volumes doesn't it? Beams was NEVER on board with the Lions. Obviously he had no intentions of sticking around or honouring his contract...contrary to his twitter posts/BnF speech/war of words with Caro. I'd have respect for him if he had been silent rather than making such a strong stance that he was staying. Very two-faced and the club/playing group has every right to be angry. Makes you wonder back then if he would've just as likely taken a contract with the Suns, given it was just a ticket to get here.

On the flipside, we got a good return on the trade so everything resolved itself in the end.

Think with Beams there's a clear distinction between leadership and maturity.

You can't rewrite history and forego his contribution to the club - he stepped up in a period of instability and drove a cultural change. He was a great captain, the best since Brown (admittedly not a Melbourne Cup field) and stepped up in big moments on the field.

However, he has handled this situation poorly. I have all the sympathy in the world for his circumstances, his family and his battle with mental illness. But those factors don't exempt him from being mature. From the Caroline Wilson response, to the BnF, communicating with the club and a frankly poor choice of words in the aftermath of the trade, it's pretty clear he is lacking in this department... frankly it's the reverse Rockliff.

If it wasn’t for fronting up in a Collingwood polo (likely publicity stunt, but whatever); and he thanked the Lions for the opportunity first and foremost rather than launch into how he was rapt to be heading back to the Pies with his heart always with them, I might have been less receptive. I get the whole sentiment about him ‘returning home’ but it was poor form. But it’s all about the publicity and it wouldn’t have rated otherwise.

Don’t doubt what he did for us up there but yeah happy now to see the back of him.

Real classy exit from Beams (Not)! Thanks for sending me that video link Brab (Not)! Do you still hold fast to your views from yesterday after what has transpired? And to think that we made this bloke captain! His conduct & attitude towards our club in his departure was disgraceful! Sure he has gone through a very traumatic period in his life (hey I really do understand that, having lost 2 sisters at 30 & 58 & my mother at 54 to breast cancer). It's very very tough to get through that. I just sincerely hope that he gets the help & support that he needs in Melbourne.

Pretty happy and smiling in all his videos. Don't think he has any issues at all. The only issue (now resolved) was clearly playing for the Lions and not Collingwood!

Nope. Noble's comments this morning on radio were pretty damning discussing lack of buy-in and needing to build a culture. He sounded pretty disappointed with the whole thing tbh.

For how professional and level headed Noble is in every interview I've heard that's the equivalent of a serious, serious spray.

Noble truly is incredible speaking with the media.

He just posted a really nice message on Instagram.

"I've gotten to marry the best women in this world"

Well there's his issues right there. Polygamy is against the law.

He just posted a really nice message on Instagram.

Shame he didn't release this prior to last night appearance on NINE.
Might have saved a lot of the vitriol flowing today.

But I guess it was worth quite an earn ( for him & Connors) to get on the air straight after the Trade Period closed and to prioritise the Magpie Multitudes ........ over the lowly Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Popular guy, especially with the young players sure, but after whats come out, a leader.... not so sold on that one.

Yeah me either. A lot of the pieces are falling into place with things you hear over a longer period that make me wonder about things.

I think that popularity factor may have initially been appealing in calming and settling younger recruits at a time for us that that seemed critical but it has some severe limitations to your ability to lead if that's what you rely on. Hodge's arrival may have highlighted that alarmingly I'd say, who knows it may have been why we went looking for him in the first place.

It's for that reason that I think, while there will probably be some short term hurt amongst the younger guys (older ones noticeably absent on the well wishes still) it won't take long to cover his loss as the professionalism of the group ramps up.

My real hope is some of those younger guys relish the opportunity to fill the void.

All in all I just feel a bit used. All the nice words in the aftermath aren’t going to change that. Enough buzz and talent in this group to keep moving on our upward path for me to be agro.

On a positive note after years of losing the genuine drive to hate Collingwood, the real feral nature of their club supporters has reignited the flame. Long may it burn within us.

I don't think the players take the departure as hard as some fans do. Have a read of some of the love for Dayne in the comments from Nick Robbo.

It's over, it's done. It hurt, but it's time to look forward.

(Says the girl who is still heartbroken over Patfull leaving. Happy for him though, he's living the high life right now!)

I've had a chance to think about this and there is no need to criticize Dayne Beams, because his own conduct is testament to his character. I actually think we did well out of the trade, particularly if Collingwood has a trash 2019 (here's hoping) and we pick up a low-ish first round pick from them.

I actually think that they paid over the odds on Beams and so do plenty of pundits. They think they can buy their way to a Premiership and we all know how well that has worked for them over the last 60 years.

Collingwood's HUBRIS is their fatal flaw.

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that Insta didn't come out prior to that cringeworthy clip with him "thanking Collingwood for letting him go to be with his Dad.

Maybe I'm being cynical here but that subsequent Instagram feels like it has been stage managed by Connors as damage control.

Ah well.....time to move on .

Over and out from me from this tread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back