Behind the scenes: How team selection works

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wow, what an insight, great stuff Nicksy. So you talk about players and make a decision, amazeballs. And OMG, sometimes you even strategise about whether you need more run from defence before settling on doing absolutely nothing different whatsoever. Is this intended for us or for the same market as the logo?

Matthew Nicks has provided a behind-the-scenes look at how Adelaide’s coaches select the team each week.

On The Optus Crows Show, Nicks details the open forum used once a week to select Adelaide’s best fitting 22 for the upcoming round.

“What we’re looking for (in the room) is representation from our development coaches in terms of how our young players are going,” Nicks said.

“Most of our coaches get out to those games as well.

“It’s coming together with a decision there in terms of who’s putting their hand up and who deserves to play at a higher level.”

Nicks said having an open discussion where “no idea was wrong” was crucial to a successful selection process.

“Throw up how you feel, how you feel the group is going… it’s all about making us better,” Nicks said.

“Some of that (the decisions) aren’t just on form, some of it is the balance of the side, if we’re looking for more run from half-back, how do we create that?

“We’re spending a fair bit of time looking at how much balance we have in our group, both in terms of experience and youth, and in terms of run versus contest.

“It’s also important to know what the opposition are bringing and what their weapons are, making sure we’ve got answers for those.”

The Optus Crows Show airs on Saturday at 1.30pm ACST on Channel 7 in Adelaide - right before the game against North Melbourne.

Interstate fans can catch the full episode on afc.com.au shortly after.

Wow, what an insight, great stuff Nicksy. So you talk about players and make a decision, amazeballs. And OMG, sometimes you even strategise about whether you need more run from defence before settling on doing absolutely nothing different whatsoever. Is this intended for us or for the same market as the logo?

Matthew Nicks has provided a behind-the-scenes look at how Adelaide’s coaches select the team each week.

On The Optus Crows Show, Nicks details the open forum used once a week to select Adelaide’s best fitting 22 for the upcoming round.

“What we’re looking for (in the room) is representation from our development coaches in terms of how our young players are going,” Nicks said.

“Most of our coaches get out to those games as well.

“It’s coming together with a decision there in terms of who’s putting their hand up and who deserves to play at a higher level.”

Nicks said having an open discussion where “no idea was wrong” was crucial to a successful selection process.

“Throw up how you feel, how you feel the group is going… it’s all about making us better,” Nicks said.

“Some of that (the decisions) aren’t just on form, some of it is the balance of the side, if we’re looking for more run from half-back, how do we create that?

“We’re spending a fair bit of time looking at how much balance we have in our group, both in terms of experience and youth, and in terms of run versus contest.

“It’s also important to know what the opposition are bringing and what their weapons are, making sure we’ve got answers for those.”

The Optus Crows Show airs on Saturday at 1.30pm ACST on Channel 7 in Adelaide - right before the game against North Melbourne.

Interstate fans can catch the full episode on afc.com.au shortly after.

Can't help but feel like the opposition shouldn't be the last thing to talk about. Like why do you decide we need more run off half back and then talk about the oppo?

I seriously feel like the order he discussed this in is backwards.

I imagine Matty is staying calm and collected in these meetings after every loss
tumblr_n900jlL5kZ1qbhf9zo4_250.gifv

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets hope, irrespective of how your lot select the team it works tomorrow, as I've put half the farm on the Crows singing the song after the game...?

1596210487194.png

ps. be good to see the bloke with no first name kick 10..!

Last edited:
Nicks is such a ******* amateur.

He's the absolute certain next dickwad that finds there highest ever role in the AFL industry to be at our club. There are many that he can enjoy the company of, few get out. Most career die under our club's watch. Nicks an absolute certainty to be sacked and never, ever, get a senior coaching gig.

Lets hope, irrespective of how your lot select the team it works tomorrow, as I've put half the farm on the Crows singing the song after the game...?

View attachment 924390

ps. be good to see the bloke with no first name kick 10..!
I would cash out. I don't feel confident at all. That team we picked is one of the worst I've seen for some time from us. Reeks of desperation which usually gets found out. Doedee is a massive loss and Walker and Himmelberg will struggle to kick goals. If they are cut out of the game which is not hard we will struggle to kick 2 to 3 goals.

I would cash out. I don't feel confident at all. That team we picked is one of the worst I've seen for some time from us. Reeks of desperation which usually gets found out.

Really, but you're playing a bunch of headless chooks that often forget which way they are kicking, which also includes a clown that runs in from the car park every time he lines-up for a goal....

Really, but you're playing a bunch of headless chooks that often forget which way they are kicking, which also includes a clown that runs out into the car park every time he lines-up for a goal....
Personally I would steer clear of that game. I have done ok betting against the crows all year but not touching this game. 2 terrible sides. Its a bloody lottery.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back