Remove this Banner Ad

MG MG

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 20, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, CA, Sydney FC
Watching Fox Footy as they are replaying every game of the season. Seen a few of the Bombers matches now and some good wins. What is your favourite?

Mine would be Carlton (Rd 4) or West Coast (Rd 7). Carlton because I just hate them like crap! Any win over Carlton tastes sweet as, and my best mate is a Carlton supporter. Particularly as they were "Premiership Favourites".

West Coast was probably the biggest scalp of the season, with West Coast being undefeated a the time, and premiership favourites. We went in big underdogs despite being 5-1 with the loss being only 1 point. Was just a hammering, and it we played the that we want to play. If we could do that every week we would be premiers I reckon.

Have to agree with you MG in tossing up between those 2, sticking the boot into Carlton was great, but I think the Eagles game is just ahead for me. Belting the top side by 10 goals was pretty sweet. Also worth noting our game vs the Tigers the next week, as they had defeated Sydney the week earlier, and the Hawks the week after, they were flying at the time(but so were we :cool: ).

Putting aside my hate for Carlton, that was a great win.
The west coast win I believe was our most complete performance but I feel they were undermanned.

But my fav win for the year or the one that meant the most to me was against freo. We have been known in previous years to topple a league power and then lose the following week. So I do expect us to win those games like the ones above. What made me feel "hey this team is going somewhere, they are building mental strength" was coming back in the final quarter and winning interstate.

On another point I felt we played better in some of our close losses than some of our wins over lesser sides.

The Carlton win was fantastic to be at, the atmosphere was incredible.
The West Coast win was something else though, I'd rate it as probably the most complete Essendon domination of the past 10 years.

The Carlton win was fantastic to be at, the atmosphere was incredible.
The West Coast win was something else though, I'd rate it as probably the most complete Essendon domination of the past 10 years.

We did play great. But did their outs diminish that at all in your opinion? From memory they were missing a few big names

We did play great. But did their outs diminish that at all in your opinion? From memory they were missing a few big names
It was their forward line, and IIRC we didn't even let it get there.

Freo for me, simply due to Perth

A little bit, but I was so stoked I didn't really care too much.

It was their forward line, and IIRC we didn't even let it get there.

Freo for me, simply due to Perth

True The pressure was amazing. Hell I'll have to watch the game again just to remember how good we were playing at the time. Might do it on mute though as from memory Darcy the flog started drooling over us around then.

True The pressure was amazing. Hell I'll have to watch the game again just to remember how good we were playing at the time. Might do it on mute though as from memory Darcy the flog started drooling over us around then.
Was on Fox Footy this morning. Missed the boat ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i thought the game against Richmond in round 8 was a great game to watch. Decent battle.

To rephrase the question without going too off topic, given the best wins of this season, Freo, Eagles, Carlton etc, Which team in 2013 will be the real bench mark? Putting aside Carlton and Collingwood due to rivalry, not sure who Essendon 'struggle' to get Past. For us its west coast or st kilda.

Was on Fox Footy this morning. Missed the boat ;)

Nuh I'm unlucky not to have foxtel. I do however have every game from last season on my harddrive so no issue there :p

Looking forward to hopefully getting Foxtel this season. Want to try watch more footy this year.

i thought the game against Richmond in round 8 was a great game to watch. Decent battle.

To rephrase the question without going too off topic, given the best wins of this season, Freo, Eagles, Carlton etc, Which team in 2013 will be the real bench mark? Putting aside Carlton and Collingwood due to rivalry, not sure who Essendon 'struggle' to get Past. For us its west coast or st kilda.

I think beating the teams that people are grouping us with us the bench mark. Wins against north,tigers and freo are key to our year. Of course the blues also

I find it hard to comment in these type of threads since the only time its good to look back on a win is if its a flag,

Having said that i reckon if we had of somehow pulled it off in Adelaide in round 19 i reckon that's the one we'd all be talking about.

Our season was cruelled by injuries, and we almost knocked off a top 4 side in their home state after losing Winders who'd kicked 4 goals up until half time or whatever it was...

If we'd won that game we may have kicked on and beat North and the Tigers to play finals... but i just knew once we lost that all wind was taken from the players sails and we ended up getting smashed in the last 3rounds..

I think WCE game, it was awesome to watch...granted they were missing a few (Kennedy, Lecras, Nicoski) however this didnt seem to effect them after the loss to us?

1. West Coast

It's been nearly a decade since we toyed with a top team in the way we did with the Eagles that night. I think it gave us all a taste of what we can expect when we're one of the top teams once again. If only we displayed this mentality in every game (Melbourne game).

I'm still dirty that my Essendon supporting girlfriend decided to have her birthday dinner that night, meaning I couldn't go.

2. Carlton

No one gave us a chance. Lloyd even suggested we just concede this game and build for ANZAC Day. Carlton supporters were at the height of their arrogance, with calls such as only Watson, Zaharakis and maybe Hurley would make the Carlton team. The result? A 30 point belting that could've been so much more if it weren't for the fact we had another game 4 days later. Crameri ran riot with 5 goals and 6 behinds, Stanton and Watson got 30+ disposals while we physically intimidated a team for the first time since 2004 through our sheer ferocity at attacking the ball.

Again, it would be great if we took the mentality of this game into every match (GWS game, where we tried to intimidate them behind the play, rather than attacking the ball).

3. Fremantle

Our first win in forever at Subi, perhaps the biggest thing to come out of this was Hurley's breakout game as a KPF, going past his PB of 4 goals for the first time to kick a bag of 6. It paved the way for him to kick 5 next week in another dominate performance before he pulled his hamstring as he threatened to really dominate the comp.

4. Richmond

They were absolutely flying when we took them on. Absolutely flying. This is by far our most under-rated win of the year.

To put some perspective to it, here is Richmond's form leading up to and beyond our match.

Round 5 - Lost to the undefeated West Coast by 10 points in a thriller of a game.
Round 6 - Did what needed to be done and dispatched of Port Adelaide at AAMI by 37 points.
Round 7 - Outplayed the eventual premiers Sydney by 29 points at the MCG.
Round 8 - Essendon v Richmond
Round 9 - Smashed Hawthorn by 62 points on a miserable day at the MCG.
Round 10 - Defeated St Kilda by 8 points in what of the best games of the year.

As you can see, we were fantastic in the first half, getting the margin out to 42 points at one stage. The Tigers were playing well, but they were playing a team that were tapping into their potential. Then, the Tigers came roaring back, indeed the Tigers even took the lead during the fourth quarter as we looked to be shell shocked. In the end, we steadied as a team and managed to recover with a 19 point victory.

It was a telling a match in the end, as the mentality on display in that third quarter was unfortunately present in our upcoming games, resulting in us struggling against GWS for a half and culminating in being the only non-expansion team to lose to Melbourne.

Carlton for the... emotionality of it.

West Coast for the comprehensiveness. If I were looking at it dispassionately, it'd be that one.

I'm not sure, our game against West Coast was being built up all week as the match of the round and perhaps the biggest game of the year to date.

To go out on the big stage in a game such as that and deliver what we did is something we really haven't in a while.

It was like a more skilled version of our 2009 game against Carlton, where we went out and smacked them by 10 goals after that was built up all week as the battle for a spot in finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back