Universal Love Best Moments/Photos - New GFC background

Remove this Banner Ad

I am currently in the process of designing the background for our board, and I saw a wall at KP that featured some of the greatest moments in our clubs history, each with a photo. I was thinking of doing something similar, so I thought I could draw some inspiration from everyone.

Anyway, if you had to list your top five moments that you have witnessed as a Geelong supporter, what would they be?

I'll take "moments" literally so not just say the flags:

1. Chappy's snap 2009
2. Varcoe's end to end run 2011
3. Ablett Snr's "hand of God" 1994 Prelim
4. Ablett's mark over Pert
5. Ablett's 1000th

Saw all in the flesh, as it happens. :)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

1. Tom Hawkins goal after the siren, I remember nearly crying with delight
2. 2009 toe poke, just incredible.
3. 2007 breaking the drought, my Dad went to the game and when he came home we didn't speak, just hugged.
4. Round 1 of this season, had been pumping us up as a top four lock all offseason to all my mates, then we go out and smash the Horfies whilst one of the greatest players of the modern era debuts for the club and smashes records.
5. Return of Menzel, unbelievable goal too.

Probably my favourite Geelong moment of all time. Surely it must rank among the best goals in Grand Final history? Just an astonishing individual effort on the biggest stage possible, and a persuasive argument for waiting until AFTER the finals series to award Goal of the Year.

From recent years I would pick:

1. Bob Davis holding up the cup in 2009
2. When the siren sounded in the 2007 GF
3. Hawkins' face after his goal after the siren
4. Ling's sealer in 2011
5. Cats and Swans players running through the joint banner last year

Probably my favourite Geelong moment of all time. Surely it must rank among the best goals in Grand Final history? Just an astonishing individual effort on the biggest stage possible, and a persuasive argument for waiting until AFTER the finals series to award Goal of the Year.

It was casual, but that's just his way...

1. Abletts 89 finals series (specky against the dees and Bombers, snap form the boundary against Hawks, one handed market in the pocket against Hawks, two bounce goal from the boundary outside fifty against the Bombers etc)
2. Last five minutes of the 2009 gf (toe poke, chapman goal, Rooke and Taylor marks and the giant group hug I received from two random teenage girls and 120kg pot bellied biker who were sitting next to me in the stands).
3. Abletts goal of the year and game against the pies in 89
4. Abletts mark against pert (never have heard a crowd go up like they did when that happen - really surreal)
5 being at the 2007 gf as the siren went.

Other ones: bartel point against Hawks, Billy's after the siren goal against the doggies, Abletts 14 against the Bombers and tigers, hawkins goal after the siren against Hawks, Abletts goal of the year against the Bombers in 95 and second half come back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Since you noted it's for the design of the background I won't name genuine moments as most are too hard to capture in a single moment so instead will go for photos or events that can be.

In no particularly order.
1. Toe poke
2. Ablett Snr vs Pies in the wet, goal from 50, the moment after he has kicked it and he's sitting on the ground and slaps his thighs.
3. Billy Ryan's mark.
4. Varcoe 2011 GF sealer celebration.
5. Scoreboard photo 2011 vs Melbourne, 37. 11. 233 with a colourful and gloomy Geelong skyline.

I'd have to say a moment from each flag (2007 podium, 2009 Chappy's snap or Scarlett's toe-poke, 2011 Varcoe's or Ling's goals), something from Ablett Sr (ie. Pert mark) and then maybe something from Polly Farmer's career?

But that shot of him jumping in the air has been the lock screen on my phone for ages now, love it.
The look on his face makes me smile every time, no matter what. I also love the view of the stands after the goal, with everyone jumping around like crazy:

giphy.gif

But probably not relevant.

Going further back, something from the '63 flag? What a great win that was.

The look on his face makes me smile every time, no matter what. I also love the view of the stands after the goal, with everyone jumping around like crazy:

giphy.gif

But probably not relevant.

Going further back, something from the '63 flag? What a great win that was.

I watched the last 5 mins of that game in a teeny tiny computer room in Florence like a zillion times.

I watched the last 5 mins of that game in a teeny tiny computer room in Florence like a zillion times.

It's funny you mention that, I was standing outside some random coffee shop in a shopping mall in Prague stealing their wifi to follow the scores. Talk about not knowing what was going on - checked the score at about quarter time to see we were 9 goals up and said "Oh ok, can go back to shopping now." Came back later to wondering WTF and then seeing that we won. Didn't know what had happened until I read the news reviews!

1. Toepoke to Gaz, to the square, to Chappy, to premiership.
2. Jimmy's point after the siren
3. Varcoe's end to end goal in 2011 GF (followed closely by Jimmy's mark and goal deep in the pocket in the third quarter)
4. Hawk's face after winning us the game v Hawks
5. One that hasn't been mentioned... Rooke's bump on Brad Johnson and crumbing goal which sealed the 2008 prelim.

Agree with what's been submitted - here are some esoteric ones:
1. Harry Taylors mark in 2009 (followed by the crowds "Harry Harry" chant when on stage at Fed square that night)
2. The look James Kelly gave Linga after his goal in 2011 - 'We've won this!"
3. That passage of play at KP, staring deep in our backline, Jimmy/Boris keeping the ball in from the boundary, through nearly every pair of hands in the team, via a Wojcinski run to end in a goal. (team goal of the century)
4. Moons talking to Hawkins in the 2011 GF half time break - 'Its up to you'
5. Chappy's 'too many passengers' blast that put the team on track to greatness.

(and for a 6th - When Jarad Rooke became Max)

Going to add one more, Steve Johnson's final quarter goal in the 2011 grand final: "He must have thought he was no chance... but here he is... on the main stage... kicking the match winning goal!"

Loving the love for the Varcoe Goal.. Best goal I've ever seen in a Grand Final.
Hawkins Goal after the siren though is probably my favourite moment outside of the Flags.
Close second was the last quarter and laps of honor in SJ, Kel and Stokes' last game at KP. Nearly shed a tear, truly the end of that era. Was beautiful.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back