Player Watch Best young Key Forwards -Curnow,Hipwood,Naughton,McKay, King Brothers

Remove this Banner Ad

Hipwood had to, and has to be, one of the most overrated key forwards.

Was spoken about highly in some of the early pages of this thread. Has now played 8 seasons and highest goal tally is 39 from this year, includes feats of 35 in a 23 game season in 2019 and nothing over 30 in the 2020-2022 seasons. All the while playing in a perennial finals and top 4 contender.

Dude is not it.

Hipwood had to, and has to be, one of the most overrated key forwards.

Was spoken about highly in some of the early pages of this thread. Has now played 8 seasons and highest goal tally is 39 from this year, includes feats of 35 in a 23 game season in 2019 and nothing over 30 in the 2020-2022 seasons. All the while playing in a perennial finals and top 4 contender.

Dude is not it.
He works well as a second tall but is probably never going to be a number 1 guy.

But quoting nothing over 30 for a covid year and the two half years when he was out with his ACL is a bit disingenuous

He works well as a second tall but is probably never going to be a number 1 guy.

But quoting nothing over 30 for a covid year and the two half years when he was out with his ACL is a bit disingenuous
Still played 16 and 17 games respectively in 2021 and 2022, so not sure i'd count those as two 'half years'. I wasn't even aware he suffered an ACL.

Still played 16 and 17 games respectively in 2021 and 2022, so not sure i'd count those as two 'half years'. I wasn't even aware he suffered an ACL.
Yes in the 16th game of 2021 and then came back mid 2022. He was rushed back in 2022 (I dont think he played a VFL game but could be wrong) when every other tall got injured and didnt really find form till the finals. Which is pretty typical in taking a little bit to get back to form after an ACL.

If you didnt know he had done an ACL then you probably arent the best person to comment on him

Yes in the 16th game of 2021 and then came back mid 2022. He was rushed back in 2022 (I dont think he played a VFL game but could be wrong) when every other tall got injured and didnt really find form till the finals. Which is pretty typical in taking a little bit to get back to form after an ACL.

If you didnt know he had done an ACL then you probably arent the best person to comment on him
Charlie Curnow did an MCL, fractured patella and other injuries and missed two years of football and since then has come back and kicked about 30 goals more than the next best over the past two years. I don't think you need to be in too much of a position to say that Hipwood is a bog average.

Charlie Curnow did an MCL, fractured patella and other injuries and missed two years of football and since then has come back and kicked about 30 goals more than the next best over the past two years. I don't think you need to be in too much of a position to say that Hipwood is a bog average.
Is anyone trying to make an argument that hipwood is better then curnow? Maybe early on in this thread they were. But curnow is miles ahead of anyone at this stage.

Hipwoods ACL has hurt. But even if he hadn't I don't think he'd be near Curnow either.

That's not what I said at all. I said looking at his goal numbers for the covid year and the injured years isnt a fair comparison. Its the same as no-one would look at the goal numbers from when Curnow got injured or his two years out and judge that. You are judging him on his now fully fit return.

I also said that its clear that Hipwood is not stacking up as a number 1 forward but is a reasonable number 2 key forward in a team with 2 other 50 goal forwards. The only number 2 key forward who kicked more goals than him this year is Hawkins. The only key forward who had more Goal Assists than him is Naughton. In fact off those numbers he is more than reasonable and would be arguably in the conversation as the best number 2 key forward for the year

I take Curnow. Looks like another David Schwartz. Flies at everything, takes a hanger, can kick goals from 55+. Even has the same extravagant kicking style. Covers the ground unnaturally well for his body shape.

Not saying he will reach that level but he might. That’d be great.
David wishes!

Jye Amiss is the best of the rookie key forwards in the competition right now, well ahead of the rest of those within his draft class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hipwood is still far too weak and skinny. Should he told he needs to come back 10kgs heavier this off season or he's not welcome back. He gets thrown around too easily to be a leading forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back