Bigger impact - Lake to Hawthorn or Tippett to Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, maybe. Maybe next year, or the year after, but after that? You guys would want to hope you win a flag in the next two years, because the failure that will follow is going to hurt for a while I'd say. :rolleyes:

We could always do things the Geelong way.

Be the very definition of mediocrity for 50 odd years and then get hit in the ass by a rainbow called the father son rule. I mean you guys know all about sustained success over a number decades don't you ?

Whatever happens, the two best sides of last year should play off in the GF again. They now have no obvious weaknesses.

Yes, the Hawks have traded away a lot of picks (could be a huge difference between pick 21 and 27), but you have to do everything you can while you're in the window.

Nothing wrong with Lake as a pickup. Nothing wrong with filling your perceived holes.
Hawthorn arnt idiots...do people honestly think clubs are stupid enough not to have weighed up and factored in everything from age, injury, remuneration and recent form ?

The genuine risk is inconsistent appearance...which is as big a factor as anything you can think of. STABILITY in a defence can be easily as important as personnel. To me Hawthorns so called defensive issues (which are usually exaggerated) are largely due to a more inconsistent lineup over the last season or two, usually caused by injury to a cpl of key blokes they hoped to be relying on by now. You stick a bunch of them together for long enough they start to work well...add some genuine spoiling and marking ability no matter what age it is and it can only help in the near term.

Its not as though they need midfielders or forwards...and you cant just pluck experienced key defenders or young stars off trees when they're entrenched at their clubs. Club must also be seen to be addressing issues for their membership base.

Good pickup...Tippett isnt at Sydney. Thats just an assumption right now.

Oh so Swans title Blood Brothers is just a metaphor....
At Hawthorn, players are on contracts that they would get more at another club, but they don't want to leave the club cause they've made great mates & they are united as a playing group

As they are at the Swans.. what's your point.

Hawks have enough soft kick chasing backman....

That's my knock on Lake, his one-on-one ability is diluted by his penchant for chasing stats. Hawthorn will require him to be accountable. I guess we'll find out whether he has another yelp.

Good trade by the Dogs in any event.

Jealous of what? Another desperado Hawks fan trying to cling to this old chestnut, in an attempt to drown out their own club's epic failures. We've won 3 flags in 6 years, blooded 20 new players and lost 6 premiership players the past two seasons yet remained a finals team and Hawthorn still can't beat us through the years they were mean't to be the next great dynasty and continue to choke under the weight of their own expectation. What's there to be jealous of?

Who are you trying to convince?

Sydney need to reinvigorate their list (given no less than 5 of their starting 22 were over the age of 30), so its completely understandable why they're willing to splurge upwards of 800k on a second ruckman cum second forward that delivered in one game last season and has obvious issues with concession
??
Hawthorn's best 2 performed players of 2012 - S.Mitchell will be 30 in a few days, Sewell will be 29 before the opening bounce next year.

Add to them

Hodge, turning 29 in 2013
Burgoyne, 30 in a few weeks
Gibson, 29 in 2013
Guerra, 31 in 2013
Hale, 29 in 2013
Lake, 31 in 2013

8 Hawks will be 29 or above in 2013.

With that taken into account, it makes sense for the Hawks to try to fill a weakness....as they are striving to get Hodge, Mitchell et al another flag before it is too late.

The Sydney salary cap situation is a complete farce and blight on our game. By constantly defending it, you are defending everything that's wrong with the AFL.

You are prompted to say that by the fact that we are able to chase one of the highest paid players at another club right after winning the Premiership, and seemingly not having to lose a star player. A few kicks difference and the situation with you recruiting Lake would be the same, and all our players would still be being paid the exact same amount.

Is a pretty interesting comparison (I think).

Hawthorn, considered the best attacking team in 2012, with a vulnerable defense.
Sydney, the best defensive team in 2012, with lackluster forward options.

Both gone to the trade table to retify their perceived weakness.

My question is, who do you think will benefit more from the aforementioned trades (short & long term).

For mine, long term should be Tippett, given his age, however short term is less clear cut.
At the moment we're better off as the deal is signed, where as Sydneys wallet is still loaded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether Lake gets back to his best or not isn't as important as how it will structurally change the Hawks. Lake #1 forward, Shoe takes #2 and Gibbo is now free to play more 3rd man up. Can see it as a win for Hawks. Even if Lake is just "solid" will go a long way to Hawks winning 2013.
SShhh no common sense here.

Lake is finished. How bad are Hawthorn going to be after their premiership window closes. Their older players are stars, their younger players are useless. Drafting veterans such as Brian Lake is not thinking long term at all. In my opinion they will bottom out hard.
What's young Rioli, Breust, Gunston, Shiels, WhiteX, Smith, Suckling, Birchall, Stratton, Shoenmakers?

Yeah good on ya write off players why don't ya... too bad if karma hits the Pies... some of you supporters are stupid, Lake got third in the B&F count at the Dogs this year, also two years doesn't go that quick, I think it will be 3 or 4 years. Anyway we wanted a gorilla defender that is good now, not one that will be good in two years time, cause we have got Schoenmakers!
No he didn't... He came 10th.

Lake got destroyed when he played against Essendon earlier in the year, 1st thing I thought was he is finished.

Looks like Clinton Young is out the door so you would say at this stage, it has had a bigger effect than Tippett, who hasn't forced anyone yet.

Can't seeing Gilham and Murphy hanging around now. Although they are average players, depth ensures the bottom 6 of your 22 perform or they are out the door.

Hawthorn's just got eroded because of a foolish trade.

The hawks have got a player to fill a missing link in their side, whilst the window is still open. Also it cost them very little, if anything.
The swans however have not got Tippett yet, so it would depend on what they lose to get him and how that changes the fabric of their side.

Looks like Clinton Young is out the door so you would say at this stage, it has had a bigger effect than Tippett, who hasn't forced anyone yet.

Can't seeing Gilham and Murphy hanging around now. Although they are average players, depth ensures the bottom 6 of your 22 perform or they are out the door.

Wishful thinking

You know what they say: forward lines sell memberships, defences win premierships.

Lake - Best key defender in the competition

Tippett - Not in the top 5 (maybe top 10) key forwards.
6fe.jpg

With Lake coming in, we would probably try and push Suckling up to a wing anyway. Brad Hill will most likely play more of a role next year as well. So while it would be disappointing to lose Young, I don't think it would be a big loss

Lake really is a strange one. It's not as though he is still performing at his best, He is well and truly past his AA form of a few years back. 31 heading into 2013? Weird. Will be interesting to see how it goes. Might be able to perform a role considering the ball will be in the Hawks backline a lot less compared to the WB's one.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back