Toast #BringBackTheBars - Our Heritage, Our History, Our Right! Part 1

Assuming there were no obstacles, would you prefer the PB/Pylon guernsey to be our home colours?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
* the Crows. They don't deserve to be on field with the PB's.

To begin with, if it was our home showdown and Anzac day, that would suit me better.

I had a dream where we were losing by 7 goals at 3qtr time of the GF. Ken took the boys into the rooms and nobody had a clue what was going on. We then came out in the PB’s Mighty Ducks style to a massive cheer.

Ended up losing the game by 10 goals though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was a roller coaster.

fu** the Crows. They don't deserve to be on field with the PB's.

To begin with, if it was our home showdown and Anzac day, that would suit me better.

What if the AFL decided we only have one Showdown each year. Then we only wear the PBs once every second year!

Needs to be for One Showdown each year - a home one every year if we have them, or else alternate home and away ones if the AFL revert to just one a season. Plus a game of our choice every season, be it Anzac round, or just any round where we celebrate previous premiership anniversaries.

So twice every year.

What if the AFL decided we only have one Showdown each year. Then we only wear the PBs once every second year!

Needs to be for One Showdown each year - a home one every year if we have them, or else alternate home and away ones if the AFL revert to just one a season. Plus a game of our choice every season, be it Anzac round, or just any round where we celebrate previous premiership anniversaries.

So twice every year.

Apologies for double posting but I just put this in the gameday autopsy thread on the main site also.

If we had the choice of wearing our real jumper during the following occasions I would be happy:
- Home Showdowns
- ANZAC Day
- Finals against everyone but Collingwood

These are the special times for a club and should be honoured with the jumper that has earnt that honour.

On last nights game, its easy to lump praise at this time but I want to make a few observations:
- Collingwood are the Terminator of the AFL - you can fill them fill of holes and they get back up. I respect that. They are 50/50 next week.
- On only one occasion last night did I notice a Collingwood player duck. And I don't remember a single instance of them overtly playing for a free. They again earn my respect for that.
- As much as I hate mini-Packer and his Toorak/Briiiighton buffoons, I respect Collingwood the club and consider them as 50/50 against the Eagles. I'll be barracking for them in their next game. I like the theatre of Collingwood and I would love the opportunity of hosting them at Adelaide Oval in a semi-final surrounded by my prison bar brothers should we not beat the Cats.

On reflection 2020 has taught me a few things.
When times get tough clubs and families survive. Franchises often don't.
When I look at who is playing in the finals this year, its all Clubs.
Ourselves obviously, Brisbane with its heart in Fitzroy, Collingwood, Richmond, West Coast, who have transformed from a franchise to a club through a number of baptisms of fire, Geelong. And the dogs don't give up. The saints are in an upswing and I wish them well. Franchises that have not yet had the opportunity to make the generational change to be clubs have often splintered. But after splintering one of two things will happen. They will be tempered by the experience and actually become clubs, or not.

2020 has been a marathon to date for everyone. I have never been prouder of my club than I am right now. Not even in 1977. Not even in 1990 when we played in the premiership we had to win. Not even when I look back at my grandfathers photos from when he was on the Port Management Committee back in the 1950's. Even now I am only just understanding our vision of "We exist to win premierships". I personally feel like we just won our grand final. I am content. But my club isn't. They've been through WWI, WWII, the great depression, survived them all and then still busted their butts to win 6 in a row in the 1950's. They understand what clubs must do. In my 50's, as a member of a generation that has truly lived through the best of times, I'm starting to understand.

Whatever happens over the finals I'm going to enjoy it.
The clubs, the great clubs have earned the right to be there and it will be grand.
And people everywhere in this country deserve to enjoy it.

Bring on the finals and FFS bring back our prison bars (as above).
We have bloody well earned them this year and only a narcissistic buffoon afraid of the response from his own people would argue otherwise.
Prove to me that you are not that.

The more and more I think about it I hope we push for playing just 1 showdown a year. They mean more to the campaigners down the road than it does to us. Im over their sh*t
Don't let the fatigue blunt you.

That's exactly what the AFL and Eddie want, it's why they keep delaying they hope the attrition burns it out.

Regardless of the guernsey itself, the point behind it all (about sovereignty etc) remains.

Getting 1 Showdown is still a massive win. Having the PBs recognised by the AFL as an official guernsey Port Adelaide wears every single year is a massive step forward on the current situation of having begged for it to be worn 5 times in 24 years.

Getting 1 Showdown is still a massive win. Having the PBs recognised by the AFL as an official guernsey Port Adelaide wears every single year is a massive step forward on the current situation of having begged for it to be worn 5 times in 24 years.
This type of 'sideshow' also helps galvanise the club.

Whilst I want to wear the guernsey at our discretion, one Showdown a year isn't a show stopper (for now). Do that for a year or two and show the world hasn't fallen in on Collingwood and casuals haven's mistakenly bought 60,000 Port memberships when they really intended to buy a Collingwood membership and we then go again for more.

Whilst one Showdown a year is an obvious improvement, 2 games a year is much easier to shift from later to more, then from 1 game a year. Get 2 Showdowns a year, as it recognised as allowed as it's acknowledging our heritage, then we can start talking to Brisbane about playing them in their Fitzroy kit, or Swans in an old South Melbourne design etc, as both celebrating heritage.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whilst one Showdown a year is an obvious improvement, less than 2 games a year is much easier to shift from later then 1 game a year. Get 2 Showdowns a year, as it recognised as allowed as it's acknowledging our heritage, then we can start talking to Brisbane about playing them in their Fitzroy kit, or Swans in an old South Melbourne design etc, as both celebrating heritage.

So much run around. I know the heritage angle has been a ploy but I still believe that the club has aimed low given that they had certain large football personalities acknowledge the jumper should be worn more times. The PB jumper should not have to rely on special heritage celebrations to be worn.

Last edited:
The more it drags on the more it appears it’s just Eddie with the issue.

The gurnseys sell out quickly, a beer with it sold out quickly.

Money talks.

Especially now. Allowing PAFC to bring in revenue from PB merch is vital for the AFL in the post Covid washup.
Current circumstances have tipped things ever so slightly in our favour.

The more it drags on the more it appears it’s just Eddie with the issue.

The gurnseys sell out quickly, a beer with it sold out quickly.

Money talks.
Have we bribed AFL officials yet? Have we given them a slice of the action? That's when money talks for the AFL.

It still niggles at me that we will be allowed to wear the PBs once or twice a year on the proviso the club signs a contract that states we will never request to wear it more than 1 or 2 times a year for all of eternity and the club will buckle and sign it

So far we've refused and the AFL/Eddie know that we intend to wear it more, and so they give us one game every umpteen years after a massive bitch-fight. I kind of trust the club's mini-step approach but I question whether it is best to just ask for all home games.

I'd be surprised if this element wasn't included in our pitch.
The whole financial aspect of being allowed to sell PB is in he pitch.

For the last game at Footy Park Koch and Cardone did a deal with McGuire because we had so little money, and we sold over $700k of jumpers - inc $260 for your name on it x 1,600 names = $416k.

The whole financial aspect of being allowed to sell PB is in he pitch.

For the last game at Footy Park Koch and Cardone did a deal with McGuire because we had so little money, and we sold over $700k of jumpers - inc $260 for your name on it x 1,600 names = $416k.
That was way back when Cardone was worth his place and we had a ‘joint venture’ with Collingwood.

McGuire could now be accused of openly undermining said joint venture, whatever it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back