Oppo Camp Brodie Grundy (Traded to Melbourne 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not going to get a free agent over if you leave him to the last day of trade week - if another trade happens.

Personally, I think we were underplaying our interest in Mitchell and that trade was always going to happen.
I really hope it was the case that Mitchell was a high priority. He made our trade period last year.

We shouldn't have targeted McStay as a free agent. We should've learnt our lesson around targeting average players in free agency after QLynch, Clinton Young and Mayne.

For his cost and output as a "someone who takes away a defender", we might as well have gotten Weideman for cheap.

Meanwhile we're paying him the same amount and contract length as Grundy after subsidy.

Anyone who thinks Grundy is finished and isn't going to play any good footy over the next few years is kidding themselves. But he's also very unlikely to get close to justifying the amount of contract that we were able to clear.

3 rucks and Kreuger injured for the next few weeks and we'll probably get a bit of carry on about missing him, claims of a big mistake that the club made, but it's a ridiculously short term point of view - in comparison to the 5 years of very big money that the decision covers.
Mistake was to trade him to Melb and strengthen a flag contender.

Round 3

Grundy - 25 HO - 4 qtrs game time
Cameron - 24 HO - 3 qtrs game time

I really hope it was the case that Mitchell was a high priority. He made our trade period last year.

We shouldn't have targeted McStay as a free agent. We should've learnt our lesson around targeting average players in free agency after QLynch, Clinton Young and Mayne.

For his cost and output as a "someone who takes away a defender", we might as well have gotten Weideman for cheap.

Meanwhile we're paying him the same amount and contract length as Grundy after subsidy.

Comparing McStay and Weidmann.....sheesh

“Brodie Grundy stepped into the No.1 ruck role in the absence of injured skipper Max Gawn, giving the Demons a fresh look and an air of unpredictability around the ball.

He was one of the Demons' best, finishing with 25 hitouts, 21 disposals and five marks.”

He has played 3 games in the last year. So he won’t reach full match fitness for another month or so.
Curious to know why you and eugene41 are so much on the Grundy bandwagon? What point exactly are you trying to prove? It seems to me that you both think you know better than the club's brains trust and would have kept Grundy during last year's trade period, and nothing that happens from here on in will change your points of view.

Right or wrong, the club has made its decision now, so what's the point of agonising about what-if's and revisiting history? What does it achieve exactly? Will you be satisfied if Grundy stars at Melbourne because it would vindicate what you would have done, which is kept him at Collingwood (when incidentally there is no guarantee that he would have found form again if he had stayed).

Why not back the club in, knowing we've made our decision, rather than constantly sitting on the sidelines saying how you would have done it better? Maybe apply for Wrighty's role next time?

Meanwhile we're paying him the same amount and contract length as GruMndy after subsidy.

Not true but keep spreading lies.

Curious to know why you and eugene41 are so much on the Grundy bandwagon? What point exactly are you trying to prove? It seems to me that you both think you know better than the club's brains trust and would have kept Grundy during last year's trade period, and nothing that happens from here on in will change your points of view.

Right or wrong, the club has made its decision now, so what's the point of agonising about what-if's and revisiting history? What does it achieve exactly? Will you be satisfied if Grundy stars at Melbourne because it would vindicate what you would have done, which is kept him at Collingwood (when incidentally there is no guarantee that he would have found form again if he had stayed).

Why not back the club in, knowing we've made our decision, rather than constantly sitting on the sidelines saying how you would have done it better? Maybe apply for Wrighty's role next time?
I thought this was a footy forum where we discuss players/teams form and question/support list management decisions?

I was all on the Tom Mitchell bandwagon last year, especially after we were letting Grundy go. He was the only one that replaced the level of talent Grundy leaving would create.

I wasn't big on Frampton but his form has prove me wrong in his last game. I definitely was against McStay and nothing he has done has been different to what he has done in his career so far which is be an average KPF that doesn't command much respect from opposition defenders.

Mistake was to trade him to Melb and strengthen a flag contender.

He had to agree to the trade

He wanted to stay in Melb (funny how he used return to Adelaide in contract negotiations.

He wanted to go to a team competing at the top.

Not sending him to Adelaide a couple of years ago was a howler. Eddie & Co blinked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They are chirping up because we lost 2 ruckman within a week and are going down the "what if" path.

He had to agree to the trade

He wanted to stay in Melb (funny how he used return to Adelaide in contract negotiations.

He wanted to go to a team competing at the top.

Not sending him to Adelaide a couple of years ago was a howler. Eddie & Co blinked.
Adelaide offered us two firsts from memory. Perhaps a second or third as well.

He gives a reliable contest and is a team oriented capable tall. He's worth a bit.

The list management mistake we made was not having enough tall defensive depth not ruck depth. Even now we have a fit guy who has played as a ruckman, it's just that we need him even more in defence.

You can't have 20 ruckmen on your list. We had Cox, Cameron, Begg, Kreuger, Frampton all as potential ruckmen with McStay a designated gameday relief ruck. That's plenty.

This crying over an ex-player in Grundy is thus incredibly sumb. He has his own injury concerns and luck could just as easily fall that he goes down next week.

The list management mistake we made was not having enough tall defensive depth not ruck depth. Even now we have a fit guy who has played as a ruckman, it's just that we need him even more in defence.

You can't have 20 ruckmen on your list. We had Cox, Cameron, Begg, Kreuger, Frampton all as potential ruckmen with McStay a designated gameday relief ruck. That's plenty.

This crying over an ex-player in Grundy is thus incredibly sumb. He has his own injury concerns and luck could just as easily fall that he goes down next week.

Whilst I agree with you about your point about Grundy….

Aren’t begg Kreuger frampton ( and Dean Kelly and Markov) all tall defensive depth? Ruscoe too at a pinch.

Mayne ended up being a pretty good player for us in the end.

I take your points on the cost of McStay. I don't disagree with his performances either. But we are three weeks in.

When it's all said and done, Cameron and Cox have been doing a solid job in the ruck. We're only sitting around chatting about Grundy because of a very unfortunate run of injuries.

I said I agreed with the club’s decision. I‘m happy with how things stand.

I‘m just pointing out that all those who banged on about him being finished should have a think about their one-sided thinking. I am pretty sick of people who can’t see that life is complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back