Past #23 Buddy Franklin - Thanks Buddy

How long will Buddy play for Sydney?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy-Franklin-has-hit-300-games.-Photo-via-Fox-Footys-Facebook-page..jpg

Lance Franklin
Lance Franklin is a giant of the game. The star Sydney Swans forward has played 300 AFL games, won two premierships with Hawthorn, is the seventh-greatest goal-kicker in VFL/AFL history, is one of just five men with eight All Australian blazers and is the most recent player to have kicked 100 goals in a season. The Western Australian is also one of just two players in the game’s history, along with former Swan and Saint Tony Lockett, to have booted 300 goals for two clubs. Franklin was added to a leadership group for the first time in his career ahead of season 2020, joining co-captains Josh Kennedy, Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, as well as Callum Mills. But the 33-year-old, who was named captain of the 2018 All Australian team, has long been considered an exceptional unofficial leader, so great is his impact on Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Ben Ronke and the rest of Sydney’s young forwards.

Lance Franklin
DOB: 30 January 1987
DEBUT: 2005
DRAFT: #5, 2004 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Dowerin (WA)/Perth (WAFL)/Hawthorn

Last edited by a moderator:

After watching that. Any concerns about dryg use or any other rubbish can be put to bed. You could tell he was very genuine, and had trouble talking about his mental health.

Glad to see him doing well.

Welcome back lance buddy franklin
As a man who has had struggles with depression and ptsd since leaving the army i personally found it great to see big bud on TV saying he was struggling and put his hand up for help in a no shame, strong and positive manner. Have not all ways been his biggest fan but that softened me up a fair bit, great to see and im proud of him for how he handled it. :)

The competition needs its superstars fit and firing - when I heard the news that Buddy's troubles seem to be behind him, it put a big smile on my face. Hopefully the big fella can get back to his best in 2016: it'll be a far better competition with him playing his part.

The competition needs its superstars fit and firing - when I heard the news that Buddy's troubles seem to be behind him, it put a big smile on my face. Hopefully the big fella can get back to his best in 2016: it'll be a far better competition with him playing his part.

So much this.

Was uplifted to hear that he's past the worst and ready to terrorise some AFL defences.

Just so pleased to see him coming through all this. Sounds like he's picked up some tools that might really help him going forward as well.

I thought it was telling that he took the time to encourage others suffering to seek help in that interview as well. Quality bloke. Makes anyone out there spreading lies to the contrary just look so bitter and twisted.

Welcome back to football Lance Buddy Franklin. Go well young man, remember the world IS NOT on your shoulders and you can't carry it by yourself , just enjoy the game , and only kick a couple of goals when you play us.

Goes without saying how we feel about you mate.

Sincerely, have a great year, and lots more to come playing this great game.

Glad your well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting that we all hold buddy in such a high regard, that his 8 goal game doesn't even get it's own thread.

As if this is something that is par for the course for him.

Of course he kicked 8, he's buddy.

But seriously, what a ******* great effort.

Bravo.

It's interesting that we all hold buddy in such a high regard, that his 8 goal game doesn't even get it's own thread.

As if this is something that is par for the course for him.

Of course he kicked 8, he's buddy.

But seriously, what a ******* great effort.

Bravo.
Should've kicked 10. Let himself and the team down. ;)

Honestly the guy is a freak. When Sinclair gave him that handball on half way and he started bolting forward and winding up for the kick I just knew deep down in my bones that he was going to kick it. In a loud voice I bellowed "Freak!" for all in my household to hear.

I just keep shaking my head when Weagles fans try and say that Kennedy is a better key forward like the Coleman is the be all and end all. Kennedy is a beautiful lead up mark and kick forward, no denying that, but Buddy does stuff Kennedy can only dream about. There's only one player out of those two that is talked about as potentially the greatest player of his generation.

If our mids gave him the sort of delivery he got yesterday on a regular basis he'd be kicking bags every game but unfortunately not all teams give your midfield the space the Lions gave us yesterday. They're usually under the pump so they kick and pray but they actually lowered the eyes yesterday and took smart options into the forward 50 and that's the result you get.

P.S. Bud works his arse off both ways and this is often overlooked for the freakish goals he kicks. His field kicking itself is fantastic.

Last edited:
800 is a remarkable achievement. Whatever he achieves from here is just a bonus.

He's the best Chf the game has seen based on goals, general play, the pressure of the modern game, longevity and being a team player.

In this day and age its rare.
He is the most exciting player i've seen , both for the hawks and the swans .
Plugger , Dunstall , Lloyd etc may have more.... but , IMO, they pale.
Whoa whoa whoa.... did you watch Plugger??!

I get what you are saying though & it is your opinion after all... yeah, Bud has that "flashiness" about him that an Ablett or Carey had.

But thus far I have yet to see (& suspect I'll never see) a player who can single handedly control/dominate a game like Plugger could. He put the fear of fear itself into the opposition & could kick them from anywhere just about. His numbers should speak volumes of his dominance. He put it together week after week. Year after year. In crap sides for the most part that he carried. Buddy hasn't really had that for long periods of his career. Those "down" years he's struggled (e.g. 2009) to get anything close to his best. Plugger just kept producing year after year no matter the team around him.

But each to their own. We're so lucky to have had both. Buddy is certainly one of the all time greats. Best of a generation.

Plugger did what every man could, just better

Buddy has done it his own way, like no one beofre, that's the exciting part
Yeah, he's certainly unique but so was Plugger IMO.

Noone has done (or will do) what he did. Far from things "any man could"... Not too many monster games & bags of goals like Plugger could. To do it so often on such a regular basis though puts him above every foward I've ever seen.

Both are amazing & not really comparable due to different game/era etc. I just rate Plugger more at this stage. Bud still has time to change my mind though (that's also the exciting part!).

Back