Review Bullies Down Dees in a Thriller 74 - 66

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Wood has been pretty solid of late. Granted he’s not intercepting at will and his rebound isn’t great but he seems to position himself right place right time on multiple occasions.

He still has value. If he’s losing one on ones then yes he becomes a problem but he’s still doing the one percenters and making sure everyone is in the right spots.

Oh I agree with that. He's still the general back there and provides value. But he's pretty clearly starting to show signs of slowing down physically, and that just has me concerned about him for next season, particularly if Bont becomes captain and Easton's place in the team isn't 100% guaranteed every week.

I KNOW the Bulldogs don't do percentage. But almost every week there's a stretch of game where string together a few goals and look really good doing it and I think 'yes! here we go we're going to actually get percentage today'. Then all my hopes and dreams are dragged back down to earth. Yet I'm still looking forward to the Saints next week. Surely we will win handily and build some percentage. I just never learn.:'(

I saw in the Herald Sun today that if one takes away the percentage boost Adelaide has received from its two thrashings of GCS this season, their percentage is below 100. Interesting perspective.

Just skipped through the replay. Jimmy Bartel interviewed Dunkley after the game and a caption popped up to say that he is the first player to have combined 35+ touches, 20+ contested, 15+ tackles and 2+ goals in a single game. Fair old effort.

No doubt there were a fair few of the Dunkley clan in attendance to watch him put on such a clinic too.

A friend of mine saw them, and apparently they were wearing 50/50 stitched together bulldogs and Melbourne scarves lol.

The efforts to keep Oliver under control when his rucks were so dominant was a key. Saw jack and bsmith on him at times. McCrae especially has this knack of not holding at a contest but pushing off his opponent and then moving for the ball.
It is uncanny how many times he does this and ends up with a possession. His anticipation skills may even surpass dicko looking for some action.

Top Ranked Volume Players After 16 Games:

Dunkley: 6
Macrae: 5
Bontempelli: 3
Hunter: 1
English: 1

Not that volume gets you votes by any measure. (Dunkley has the breeze in his sails)
You know Yojimbo that Dunkley's first number one ranked game came in Round 7 this year.

Of course I know I am you idiot.

Round 7: Rank 1
Round 8: Rank 1
Round 9: Rank 7
Round 10: Rank 1
Round 11: Rank 1
Round 12: BYE
Round 13: Rank 1
Round 14: Rank 3
Round 15: Rank 2
Round 16: Rank 3
Round 17: Rank 1

Josh Dunkley is the hot man at the moment.

B and F work differently. Don't need to be in the top few to get a vote.
As Hunter showed last year a key factor in the CSM is playing every game (or at least playing more than your nearest rival, Jackson Macrae). At this stage Dunkley and Bont have played all 16 but Crozier only 15. If Bont misses a couple of games with his leg injury then I think Dunkley is in it up to his eyeballs.

Add to that Bevo's effusive praise for Dunkley and you'd have to expect he's picking up a fair few votes from those who matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Cordy was ok, without being a standout in yesterday's game. A few minor blunders but held it together when needed.

A win is always better than the alternative. Nearly threw another game away being wasteful in front of goal, luckily they returned the favour in the last quarter.

The less said about the umpiring the better.

Our bottom 6 still need to step up if we are to make finals this year, but there are ore positive emerging. Frustratingly these were pretty obvious in the early part of the season but for some reason we went down a different route for team selection, balance and positioning

Timmy took some real key marks in defense and there was that passage in the last where he outworked Gawn in an attack forward. Hes going to be unreal in a few years

You can see he clearly knows what needs to be done in his role. The skills are there, the understanding of the game is there and the intent is there. It’s only a matter of time.

Some interesting comments on Wood and Cordy in here

No doubt Woods role has changed but I suspect that this is largely due to his inability to significantly impact the game offensively in recent times

I suspect Crozier has simply gone past him in the role he championed in 2015-16.

Wood and Cordy are largely playing the hard defensive tall/medium utility roles that our system requires 2 players to fill.

Under this presumption, let's say we make the finals and Wood, Cordy and Morris are all available.

My suspicion is all 3 won't fit. Who misses out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back