Analysis Bullies convincingly beat the Purples 118 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

So..Obrien is a good kick.

Think he really benefits from having Jones back there. Has been good since coming back in the side outside of one poor disposal against Port. Solid 3rd intercepting type.

I'm still not sure what our best set up looks like in the back line. I don't think Gardner comes back in as the 3rd defender and I don't think Daniel belongs down there either.

As for Jamarra he was really good in that high CHF role. His ball use is great going into the f50. The team benefits from having it less congested in there too. His kicking for goal needs a bit of work though. Going at 27.3% for the year which is very bad. If he can get that to at least 50% then he'll be our 2nd best forward.

Here's the link: Roaming Brian - Watch & Stream on Channel 7 | 7plus

I hadn't seen this either.

JJ's partner had obviously had a few in the superbox during the game. Just loose lips - whoops. Haven't we all had some of those?

Meanwhile, BT's just a natural with the kids isn't he? Loved the way he hip & shouldered the 8 year old girl out of getting a photo with Bont to have a word with him. Other insightful questions to kids and making Arfa do his job for him. Loved how Duryea put him back in his box.
I reckon she's all class !!

Shout out to the couple I just ran past around Lake Tuggeranong in Canberra who saw my Dogs singlet and commented on how the good the win was! Assume you or both are Doggies people
Next minute, AFL announces the Bulldogs will be relocated to Canberra, as they have found two fans there.

Think he really benefits from having Jones back there. Has been good since coming back in the side outside of one poor disposal against Port. Solid 3rd intercepting type.

I'm still not sure what our best set up looks like in the back line. I don't think Gardner comes back in as the 3rd defender and I don't think Daniel belongs down there either.

As for Jamarra he was really good in that high CHF role. His ball use is great going into the f50. The team benefits from having it less congested in there too. His kicking for goal needs a bit of work though. Going at 27.3% for the year which is very bad. If he can get that to at least 50% then he'll be our 2nd best forward.
I know Jamarra wasn’t a perfect kick for goal when he arrived but he was really quite good. Quite a few players who started as good kicks have had the yips in their time with us and he’s one at the moment.

Probably just needs a few games where he has his kicking boots on and it will unfold from there.

I know Jamarra wasn’t a perfect kick for goal when he arrived but he was really quite good. Quite a few players who started as good kicks have had the yips in their time with us and he’s one at the moment.

Probably just needs a few games where he has his kicking boots on and it will unfold from there.
I thought that would be the case after his 5.0 earlier in the season but not to be 😂

He’s working super hard so I think he’s just gassed tbh, I’m sure he’ll sort it out soon

I thought that would be the case after his 5.0 earlier in the season but not to be 😂

He’s working super hard so I think he’s just gassed tbh, I’m sure he’ll sort it out soon
Certainly won’t stay at 27%.

I think we tend to believe it’s a Bulldogs problem (and to an extent it probably is) but I’ve say through plenty of games where opposition sides blew ridiculous opportunities. Lots of players go through it.

Yep I think it’s all fatigue. The bloke knows how to kick around his body without hitting the wrong side of the ball when he’s not gassed. I’m not convinced he gets to his U18 level where I feel he was getting a lot of marks very close to goal (spoon fed by Rowell, Anderson, Bianco, Macrae, Phillips) but he’ll get better.

Oliver Gigacz do you have his total shots on goal this year (including no scores)? I reckon he’d be at 3 per game including some games in the wet. With improvement (including not dropping uncontested marks when gassed) could see him getting that up to 5 per game and then accuracy determines whether he kicks 30 or 60+ goals.

agree but as a raw stat our defence is tops this year- buy the end of the round we could be top 4
and as fate would have it we are yet to play a team that is not a finals contender
haw nth wcr gws gcs all ahead
I'm confident in MC and coaches box
the first 2 weeks did more good than harm

This was an important win. We are starting to look like a team again. Forward line starting to look like it is going to improve as games come along. Hope Mclean gets another go in the middle. A big win next week will be great for our confidence. SACK BEVE AGAIN AND GO DOGS!!!

I think Gardner should come back as soon as he can get back into form. He'll be needed against more agile talls that neither keath, bruce or jones can run with. Like Jeremy Cameron or the like.

I think Gardner should come back as soon as he can get back into form. He'll be needed against more agile talls that neither keath, bruce or jones can run with. Like Jeremy Cameron or the like.
I’d prefer to give Richards (188cm) first crack on Jeremy Cameron. I didn’t see the game this week but I thought Robbie Fox (185cm) did a cracking job on him in the 2022 GF and so would try the athletic option even if undersized.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There were too many highlights in this game to list exhaustively. Tim English's vision, skill, aerobic capacity and mesmerising set of stats, Bont doing everything it's possible and impossible to do on a footy field, JUH's pass to Naughts on the lead for a Naughts mark and goal, Bailey Williams having a really good game on the wing and selling the biggest wheel barrow of candy you've seen amongst them. But perhaps Caleb Daniels demolition of the behemoth Sean Darcy in a marking contest was the highlight.

The current blend of speedy smalls and effective talls in the forward line is very encouraging and the delivery in there was much improved. Good energy generally and there is a feeling that some cricket score synergy is not far away for one unlucky opponent.

2 qualifications on the win, however. Firstly, as well as we appeared to play, there has to be a question mark over the quality of the opposition defence. Secondly, the ability of the opposition to wrest control of stoppages from us when Bont is on the bench resting is a pressing issue and needs resolving well before September.

Serong is a player.

Last edited:
Well done for banning that fool.

Who cares who kicks the goals. The forward line is a team effort, if Jamarra takes some marks outside 50 and sets up a few goals, good on him. He played a good game and in fact it was the best the forward line has played together all year. You only have to look at 2016 to realise a bunch of contributors up forward is just as good as two stand out stars.

At the game on Friday - what a great win, honestly I never felt worried oddly ( normally opposition can kick one behind and I will be stressing). I know it's been said a lot already, but it almost can't be said enough, The Bont is so special. Watching him on Friday night was a privilege. All class.

Otherwise, Treloar stood out to me seemed to link us up through the field so well. Great game of footy ( from a dogs perspective) - must be said Freo were poor and the crowd too fixated on Lobbe ( good for my slab of beer bet with my Freo mate who finshes higher this year, touch wood :D).

Need to just back up it up now the next few weeks. We still are having spells where teams quick fire goals we need to stop - as stated, when Bont went off it was noticeable.

Yep I think it’s all fatigue. The bloke knows how to kick around his body without hitting the wrong side of the ball when he’s not gassed. I’m not convinced he gets to his U18 level where I feel he was getting a lot of marks very close to goal (spoon fed by Rowell, Anderson, Bianco, Macrae, Phillips) but he’ll get better.

Oliver Gigacz do you have his total shots on goal this year (including no scores)? I reckon he’d be at 3 per game including some games in the wet. With improvement (including not dropping uncontested marks when gassed) could see him getting that up to 5 per game and then accuracy determines whether he kicks 30 or 60+ goals.

4 per game for JUH, ranked 2nd at the club for shots per game...

R6.png

4 per game for JUH, ranked 2nd at the club for shots per game...

View attachment 1668952
Considering the connection between midfield/fwd to start the year (and a couple of slogs) an avg of 15 SPG between our 4 main forwards is pretty encouraging, considering I expect that to improve. It’s very very realistic and to expect that we get that to around 17 and avg 60% conversion rate and you’re averaging 10 goals a game from our 4 main forwards.

That puts us right in the frame of kicking a winning score every week when you throw in another 5+ goals from Mids/flankers/Timmy (5/5 😍😍😍) etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back