Review Port overcome Dogs 86 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

So so so many issues, yet most of us saw them before the game.

So much needs to change, will it? No

Ah well, positives - Buku looks like he belongs, let’s leave him there for the rest of the year. Naughtys a superstar, it’s funny because we all agreed he had a rare ‘mare of a game last week. He still had 4 direct goal assists, which is huge. Not even taking into account the indirect goal assists he causes every week with his ground game. I’ve said it before when people were debating keeping him forward, Naughty could kick 0 goals for the season and still be worthy of a spot in our forward line, as his impact on games is just huge.

And now he’s turning into a bit of a goal machine too which is nice, would love to see what he could do in a good side.

Also fun fact, Cordys had 6 pressure acts in both his last two games. Jamarra hasn’t had that few in a game all year.

So he doesn’t even bring that over Jamarra. His only advantage is he competes in about 10 ruck contests which frankly at this point I don’t care who does them - the difference between Dunks & Cordy taking the ruck is very minor.

Cordy offers nothing to this forward line, he doesn’t have a forwards bone in his body and is a net negative to the team there.

Build around Naughty, Buku & Jamarra until Bruce returns - ffs the season is done there is no salvaging it, pleaseeee just give this 4-5 weeks and see how it goes.

Keath, Gardner and Schache every week down back (until O’Brien returns). Every week.

The same 3 talls down back and up front every. Week.

now lets revisit the naughty 9 (sub AFL level) we identified pregame as to why we couldnt win, via player ratings

scott, VDM (injury excuse), McComb, McNeil, Khamis, Roarke, Cordy, Martin, Williams (out of form)

they were 9 of the worst 13 players on the ground!

View attachment 1394142
If this is an accurate and objective assessment of players can someone please explain how Buku was the worst player on the ground ... and by a considerable margin?

He wasn't prolific (and nobody expected him to be) but from what I saw on screen he was quite useful. And that's quite apart from the blatant free he didn't get when trying to mark right in front of goal.

If one is not born where one fits in, one in drawn to where one fits in.
Adelaide & surrounds - the sadist capital of Australia.
Serial killers, kidnapping rock spiders & Port supporters.
It's a bit of fun to stereotype Port supporters as ultra Collingwood but let's not extend that to the whole state, it's important to be accurate.

We needed to kick goals to keep our faint chance of a win and thus our season alive and the only avenue we had to do this was through Naughton. Other than to shore up a potential loss of percentage, there was no point in sending Cordy back when we were already behind.

The moment we would've sent Cordy back, Alir would've had free reign to do what he does and close this avenue off and stuff out what little chance we had. Personally, I'd rather see us do what we did and go down with a fight than retreat to save face.
I beg to differ but I understand your thinking

We were screwed by umpires and injuries but that doesn't mean we can take lessons from this game. What annoys me is that there's continued limited output from players who have demonstrated limited output
If this is an accurate and objective assessment of players can someone please explain how Buku was the worst player on the ground ... and by a considerable margin?

He wasn't prolific (and nobody expected him to be) but from what I saw on screen he was quite useful. And that's quite apart from the blatant free he didn't get when trying to mark right in front of goal.
He missed a relatively easy shot at goal, a couple of nicely weighted kicks don't get the points (because it has no way of knowing the difficulty of kick, he would have gotten the same points to a bloke standing skill in an acre of space), and almost all of his dispsoals that weren't that kick or shots at goal had no metres gained, were from uncontested possessions an were ineffective.

Also fun fact, Cordys had 6 pressure acts in both his last two games. Jamarra hasn’t had that few in a game all year.

So he doesn’t even bring that over Jamarra. His only advantage is he competes in about 10 ruck contests which frankly at this point I don’t care who does them - the difference between Dunks & Cordy taking the ruck is very minor.

Cordy offers nothing to this forward line, he doesn’t have a forwards bone in his body and is a net negative to the team there.

Build around Naughty, Buku & Jamarra until Bruce returns - ffs the season is done there is no salvaging it, pleaseeee just give this 4-5 weeks and see how it goes.

Keath, Gardner and Schache every week down back (until O’Brien returns). Every week.

The same 3 talls down back and up front every. Week.
Sounds good but you know it won't happen

We were screwed by umpires and injuries but that doesn't mean we can take lessons from this game. What annoys me is that there's continued limited output from players who have demonstrated limited output

He missed a relatively easy shot at goal, a couple of nicely weighted kicks don't get the points (because it has no way of knowing the difficulty of kick, he would have gotten the same points to a bloke standing skill in an acre of space), and almost all of his dispsoals that weren't that kick or shots at goal had no metres gained, were from uncontested possessions an were ineffective.
So you agree he was easily the worst player on the ground?

Go to the draft and refuse to select anyone under 190 cms.

Not picking on you, glen. A lot of people have said the same thing. And it is clearly true that we are severely lacking quality talls - especially in the backline. But I feel like when we draft we need to not be distracted by the problems we're having NOW. Drafting is about fixing our problems in 2 years time.

We absolutely need to address our tall defender issues. But we have plenty of young tall forwards. What we DON'T have a lot of is young midfield bulls to replace our aging midfield champions. Surely I'm not the only person who has noticed that our midfield has peaked and is now being gradually reeled in by the rest of the league. Maybe in 3 years time we won't be a team that relies on our midfield so heavily. But successful Dogs teams have relied on having a vastly superior midfield for a long long time. And I worry that if we don't draft a quality young midfielder or two, we might find our talls mature fully at a time when our midfield doesn't hold enough quality to properly supply them.

So many problems!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We absolutely need to address our tall defender issues. But we have plenty of young tall forwards. What we DON'T have a lot of is young midfield bulls to replace our aging midfield champions.

I think we're 1-2 years off the window closing for another spell at rebuilding based on the deficiencies in where the list is today. What lost it for me is/was watching Daniels line up on KPDs along with a number of other puzzling matchups that Bevo had resorted to this year. Yes outs are a factor, recruiting over the last 4 years has focused on small forwards and small mids as opposed to hard bodied players, which there didnt appear to be an abundance of in the drafts. But one poster hit the nail on the head, after winning a flag the best we could do with attracting established players to the club was examples of Hannan, Schache and Cloke. That sums it up.

We need to stop playing these battler type players sick of watching the likes of Anthony Scott, Vandermeer, McComb, Roarke Smith etc getting games over the likes of West, JUH, Khamis, Bedendo, AJ, Sweet etc. We need to try these kids out and work out what they can bring to the game, the battler, VFL promoted list clogger types Bevo seems to ******* love are not getting it done at the moment we need to use the kids we drafted

I’m from Sa and I’ll say this, not all of us are Port supporters. tbh, I do enjoy their passion even if they are one eyed as and unfortunately the umpires weren’t good enough to not be influenced by that.
As for the labels about murders in SA and so on, would hardly say it’s great anywhere in that regard unfortunately

This has probably been asked a few times over the journey but how are effective clearances, possessions and effective kicks defined.

A lot of our clearances didn't look very effective. Dump kicks under pressure that Port snaffled up with thanks. Is that kick that clears 30m but straight to a Port player or a contest that Port win defined as effective?

Effective Clearances
Effective clearances occur when the ball was successfully moved out of a stoppage area without immediately being turned over.

Effective Handball
A handball to a teammate that hits the intended target.

Effective Kick Short
A kick of less than 40 metres that results in the intended target retaining possession. Does not include kicks that are spoiled by the opposition.

Effective Long Kick
A kick of more than 40 metres to a 50/50 contest or better for the team.

I’m from Sa and I’ll say this, not all of us are Port supporters. tbh, I do enjoy their passion even if they are one eyed as and unfortunately the umpires weren’t good enough to not be influenced by that.
As for the labels about murders in SA and so on, would hardly say it’s great anywhere in that regard unfortunately
I consider South Australians, with their long "a"s, rounded "o"s, medial and terminal "l"s pronounced as a w; their Adelaide Arts Festival, near city wineries, non-convict beginnings and Don Dunstan, a cultured and refined lot. When the Crows entered the competition and particularly after Port joined them, I was, and remain to this day, astounded at the portrayal of South Australians the way NBates does in post 312. No offence, NBates, I appreciate that it's light hearted and in a footy forum.

Nah, our defence was undersized to start the game. When O’Brien went down we had to make the switch immediately and whatever little amount of benefit Cordys bringing up forward, would have been outweighed by moving him straight back. Very very poor decision, and cost us big time when the game turned in 3 quick goals while we had Croz, Ed & Caleb scrambling against ******* s**t campaigners like Marshall who we made look like Carey.
Marshall kicked two goals for the game and by the time he'd kicked his second late in the 3rd the game was already slipping out of our reach. He was ok, but its not like he had a massive purple patch of goals that tipped the game in Ports favour. He like Findlayson was also the beneficiary of port getting on top through the midfield. He didnt dominate the game and was hardly Carey like.

Lets be real here we're talking about Zaine Cordy not Alex Keath, the same Zaine who many here have been clamouring to have fired into the sun. Zaine does his best work further up the ground where he can run at and either smash the ball, his opponent or on occasion his teammate. He has the same issue when faced with a static deep forward waiting under the high ball that Gardner does. In that both give away height and strength making neither very good at one on one contests or moving their man off the ball.

I still maintain that switching Zaine would've had little effect on saving the game. I still contend that leaving him forward had the potential to help win the game. As usual the game was won and lost in the midfield.

Marshall kicked two goals for the game and by the time he'd kicked his second late in the 3rd the game was already slipping out of our reach. He was ok, but its not like he had a massive purple patch of goals that tipped the game in Ports favour. He like Findlayson was also the beneficiary of port getting on top through the midfield. He didnt dominate the game and was hardly Carey like.

Lets be real here we're talking about Zaine Cordy not Alex Keath, the same Zaine who many here have been clamouring to have fired into the sun. Zaine does his best work further up the ground where he can run at and either smash the ball, his opponent or on occasion his teammate. He has the same issue when faced with a static deep forward waiting under the high ball that Gardner does. In that both give away height and strength making neither very good at one on one contests or moving their man off the ball.

I still maintain that switching Zaine would've had little effect on saving the game. I still contend that leaving him forward had the potential to help win the game. As usual the game was won and lost in the midfield.
I don’t rate him but at the time we we had no one over 190cm down there and he needed to be swapped - in what world is Cordy changing the game for us up forward?

Marshall had 4 contested marks, I’m not sure if he’d have had that many across the rest of his career in total.

Whether it would have made a difference to the result probably not but it was a terrible decision at the time to not move him back when we were down to 1 injured tall in the backline.

For anyone who fronted up weekly between 1978 to 1982, tonight was mildly annoying to watch.

More annoying is that we are fielding the teams we are, lacking adequate ruck and KPP coverage. For a club that has made 2 GFs in 6 years, we should be knocking back enquiries from player managers. I know we are frustrated at over-drafting inside mids and HBFs, but what are the actual reasons we won't/can't attract capable talls?
Deliberate list management?
$$$?
Coach/ing?
Club perception?

Ageing Cloke and Martin, unfulfilled Schache and not quite tall enough O'Brien.

Why can't we nab talls? Is Bevo too specific with what he is tasking Power with?

Frustrating, given we are a capable team.

I’m a great advocate for recruiting taller players
The talls we do have are undersized
We also need to recruit and hold a greater stock
I am not sure why good tall players seem uninterested in moving to us
It’s been a problem for many years

Saw quite a bit of footy before 77 and after 81
76 was a sad year
Too many bad years in the time range you mentioned
Ian Hampshire was a breath of fresh air in 82 he put the spirit back into the club
Malthouse was just around the corner but alas

I’m a great advocate for recruiting taller players
The talls we do have are undersized
We also need to recruit and hold a greater stock
I am not sure why good tall players seem uninterested in moving to us
It’s been a problem for many years

Saw quite a bit of footy before 77 and after 81
76 was a sad year
Too many bad years in the time range you mentioned
Ian Hampshire was a breath of fresh air in 82 he put the spirit back into the club
Malthouse was just around the corner but alas
Yeah, I go back to 72-ish with attending games, just that at least 72-77 had those 2 elims in 74 and 76. 78-82 (particularly 79-81) was a wasteland, with only Templeton a genuine match winner. Jennings perennially injured, Dunstan and Stoneham racking up stats but had a weak supporting cast. Hawkins, Edmond, Cordys, etc still too young to make an impact. If only Loveless had stayed and knuckled down - but then we would probably never have got Beasley or gone looking for the rest of that mini-squad of Sandgropers.

They were certainly character building years for supporters!

I was not able to fully watch this game but from comments here, it seems like I didn't really miss much.

So, as per usual, our bottom 6 players played terribly yet again, and some of our more experienced players just played average. Our talls, outside Naughton, did not contribute enough and then injuries decided to try to derail our season even more.

The year seems a write-off to me, even if we somehow scrape into finals we're almost certainly looking at an early exit. Even before the injuries, the same issues were in our game. Our list is hugely off-balance so we are forced to play this inconsistent game style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back