Analysis Bullies convincingly beat the Purples 118 - 69

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree. It was a terrible lapse but that doesn't signal the end of his career. That sort of play is not natural to him so no great surprise he fluffed it.

Fair dinkum sometimes this board has the memory of a goldfish. So often players seem to be judged on their last 1-2 games, or even their last 1-2 quarters.

During the week a string of posters were shrugging their shoulders at Williams deferring his contract until EOY. "Oh well looks like he's going home to Adelaide, we move on." Now suddenly he's everyone's second favourite player.

Similar things have happened with TOB, Daniel, JJ, Lobb and so many others over the years.
Always been mine

2 of the 3 talls may as well be training witches hats. In a 49 point win, the 3 talls scored 4, between them, a touch over par for the course, the same 3 average a goal a game, 1 each. Thank God for Naughton, at least Lobb chops out, credibly, in the ruck. A big rethink of forward line personnel required.
Embarrassing by you (again)

Give me a 10 mark, 3 contested, 10 score involvement witches hat any day of the week.

2 of the 3 talls may as well be training witches hats. In a 49 point win, the 3 talls scored 4, between them, a touch over par for the course, the same 3 average a goal a game, 1 each. Thank God for Naughton, at least Lobb chops out, credibly, in the ruck. A big rethink of forward line personnel required.
Lol. Jamarra played a good game, shocked you think otherwise..

Yet going by the AFL Report young JUH was on of our best players on the night.

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Treloar, Williams, English, Macrae, Ugle-Hagan, Liberatore

Was impressed with Jamarra, unfortunately his goal kicking let him down and should've ended up with 2 or 3.

He is too good of a field kick to only be getting 8-9 touches a game, good things will happen when the ball gets in his hands. So happy with 16 touches and 10 marks (both PBs by a distance) and hoping we see more of it.

Yet going by the AFL Report young JUH was on of our best players on the night.

BEST
Western Bulldogs: Bontempelli, Treloar, Williams, English, Macrae, Ugle-Hagan, Liberatore
Professional Sport. Performance counts. Sentimental supporters opinions shouldn't count. Passengers, non-consistent performers, cost games, our selectors should have learned that last season..

Was impressed with Jamarra, unfortunately his goal kicking let him down and should've ended up with 2 or 3.

He is too good of a field kick to only be getting 8-9 touches a game, good things will happen when the ball gets in his hands. So happy with 16 touches and 10 marks (both PBs by a distance) and hoping we see more of it.
If your advice to Bev is to play Ugle-Hagan further up the ground, away from deep forward, try it in the VFL, not where it counts. No loss, the 3 talls isn't working anyway.

In practice, it didn't work. Bev, other coaching staff, the lad or someone has to work out where his position is in the team gameplan. In his 3rd season, it's not, yet, as a tall forward.

Disappointing Liber will miss Bont's 200th.

Especially after Bont's "paesano" reference in the video tribute to Liber last week! 🇮🇹

I'd be interested to know how many games they've played together, even with Liber's head start.

Also 2 of only 6 remaining flag team-mates.

Edit: afltables.com has a team-mates section, but only lists the top 20 in history, and the top 20 pairs amongst current players, Bont and Liber not in those. Bont and Macrae must be close to 200 games as team mates too, given they both hardly ever miss.
I hadn’t seen this section before so thanks for pointing out.

You’d have to think Pendlebury & Sidebottom (272 games) are a chance at getting McLeod & Edwards record (307 games).

Also interesting to see Liam Jones (#1), Adam Treloar (#2) and Josh Bruce (#5) right up there for current players to have had the most number of different teammates.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where would Bailey Smith come into this side?
I honestly don't know, Smitty has elite endurance but he has 1 of 2 problems.
Either the game hasn't slowed down for him and he just slams the ball on his boot thinking he is under constant pressure.... or he really hasn't progressed his kicking skills.
I am not confident in his current ability to deliver a ball to the leads of the fwds.

McNeil was good when he came on, he’s a handy pressure forward. I’d like to see him in the forward line full time - AJ & McNeil together put on a heap of pressure, it’s kinda using two forward spots just on pressure forwards but I’m fine with that considering how much of a scoring threat the other 4 fwds are. Cody, McNeil & AJ is probably our best mix up there.

AJ going at 40+ pressure points a game can’t be underestimated how important that is for us, yeah he’s not racking up a lot of ball at the moment but he’s growing every week IMO looks stronger and more confident and I reckon every touch was pretty clean and important last night. Just a matter of time til he breaks through on the scoreboard and kicks a couple and ups his touches to ~15 per game.

His running power is genuinely elite and I can’t believe how clean he is at AFL level considering the player we all saw at twos, I knew AFL would suit him better than the VFL slogs but I didn’t expect this difference, he genuinely doesn’t fumble at all and he hits every ball at speed.
Im really happy with arty and McNeil pressure in the fwd line, its a great sight to see.
Last year the ball came out of the fwd line far to easy. This is the best the fwd line has look all year, it looks cohesive with leading patterns, space and pressure.
Astro, JUH, Lobb, Arty, Flea and McNeil need more repetitions together.
The midfilders are now starting to lower their eyes instead of just bombing it in, and are hitting up targets.

That was Jamarra's 3rd coming of age game along with his 2x 5 goal hauls, doesn't matter he missed his shots. Once he hits 8-10 of those game he will have arrived.
How refreshing is it to see someone find space in our forward line like that for us, he’s such a natural forward. Frustrating he missed his shots, he’s very inconsistent with that considering we know how capable he is in front of goal but geez he’s coming along beautifully.

His confidence that he belongs is growing every single week

Professional Sport. Performance counts. Sentimental supporters opinions shouldn't count. Passengers, non-consistent performers, cost games, our selectors should have learned that last season..

If you genuinely don't think that was an excellent game by Jamarra then you are delusional and blinded by your own bias against the lad. Yes, he missed his shots on goal tonight. It was a statistical anomaly for someone who is normally pretty good. Didn't he kick 5 straight against the Lions? I'm sure your mental gymnastics found a way to convince yourself that both were poor games for different reasons. I've lost a lot of respect for you over this ridiculous crusade against one of our own. There should be a minimum level of respect shown to anyone who wears our jumper and takes the field. I've never seen anyone on this board go after someone as hard as you go after Jamarra and it needs to ******* stop or the mods need to implement a permanent ban. Enough is enough. I'm convinced that the reason you do it is to bait people into calling you racist so you can feel indignant and convince yourself that you're a victim of wokeism. Just * off.

If you genuinely don't think that was an excellent game by Jamarra then you are delusional and blinded by your own bias against the lad. Yes, he missed his shots on goal tonight. It was a statistical anomaly for someone who is normally pretty good. Didn't he kick 5 straight against the Lions? I'm sure your mental gymnastics found a way to convince yourself that both were poor games for different reasons. I've lost a lot of respect for you over this ridiculous crusade against one of our own. There should be a minimum level of respect shown to anyone who wears our jumper and takes the field. I've never seen anyone on this board go after someone as hard as you go after Jamarra and it needs to ******* stop or the mods need to implement a permanent ban. Enough is enough. I'm convinced that the reason you do it is to bait people into calling you racist so you can feel indignant and convince yourself that you're a victim of wokeism. Just * off.
I think the fact he couldn’t show his face after the Brisbane game and miraculously returned after his poor game in the wet last week shows his intent pretty clearly.

I'm convinced that the reason you do it is to bait people into calling you racist so you can feel indignant and convince yourself that you're a victim of wokeism.

******* lol nailed it here, that is exactly what he’s after

I think the fact he couldn’t show his face after the Brisbane game and miraculously returned after his poor game in the wet last week shows his intent pretty clearly.

I'm convinced that the reason you do it is to bait people into calling you racist so you can feel indignant and convince yourself that you're a victim of wokeism.

******* lol nailed it here, that is exactly what he’s after
Not much point discussing it. He’s off the board for another well deserved break. Jamarra was very good on Friday night.

I think we've had enough discussion of individual posters for the time being. Back on topic now, please.

It's interesting how much the inclusion of Dunks has thrown off the cohesion of the Lions mids.

We had the same issues - too many mids
Dunks is a hard one, he’s obviously a very good player but I really don’t think he’s damaging enough to be a full time midfielder in a great midfield and yeah he can kick a few goals because he’s a great mark resting forward but again he’s just not that damaging outside of the midfield either, hes not a powerful modern day mid you’ll roll forward one out to turn a game for you.

I really don’t think we’re going to lose much sleep about losing him, providing we get the pick right this year.

So..Obrien is a good kick.
I can't remember who he kicked it to, but there was a point where he kicked it to around the half back flank and I was VERY worried. Ended up being a terrific kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back