News Burgess quits, returns to EPL with Arsenal, joins Melbourne, looks to be heading to Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Perfect. Goodwin gets two years to let Burgess cooking the list make up for his inept coaching.

With the `struggling Vic club' advantage, he might even jag enough free kicks to get a premiership. Barring that, the Dees are ****ed for another decade.

Ah the old Port Adelaide premiership player link at it again. Burgo and Mahoney would have worked together from 2004/05 preseason to end of 2007 when they both left Port.

Melbourne football manager Josh Mahoney has confirmed the club is targeting former Port Adelaide fitness guru Darren Burgess. The Demons have had a lot of issues with injuries this year and Burgess was a big part of Port Adelaide’s turnaround in the early years under Ken Hinkley. Mahoney confirmed on SEN Breakfast they were beginning negotiations with him. “We’ve taken this opportunity to take a look at our high performance structure and we’ve made some changes in there for the second half of the year and put some people into some interim roles,” Mahoney ............

Burgess is a Port man. We allowed him to leave his contract to pursue a "once in a lifetime opportunity" with Arsenal. Throughout that time we maintained a good relationship with him. 5-6 years ago he had the AFL spooked with our level of fitness. Last Saturday we failed to score in the last quarter.

We need to pursue him. The idea that we were "cooked" lacks empirical proof. It is an impression made by negative, uninformed supporters when there is a huge amount of data that either supports or debunks the theory. Even if it supports the "cooked" theory, Darren still remains a leader in his field that can use that as a learning experience.

We all know of the kicking coach (name escapes me) who is a big fan of Port but rarely utilised by us. Don't let there be another huge fan, with a relevant expertise who we don't utilise or worse, allow an opposition club to have.

Get Darren back now (and Richo when he leaves SK). We're putting the band back together. We're on a mission from God.

Facebook-esque in its breathtaking naivete and in backsliding to the ‘when we were great’ of workery hardery randomball 2013-14, which had amazing similarities to randomball 2007 in its frantic activity and utter failure to stand up to a well coached team with structure. Burgess will give is fitness we can’t use properly, because its so extreme it hinders skill. Thats his sporting legacy.

The only question would be which English soccer team he’d abandon us mid-preseason for this time

I wonder if Daniel Comerford is on call

Facebook-esque in its breathtaking naivete and in backsliding to the ‘when we were great’ of workery hardery randomball 2013-14, which had amazing similarities to randomball 2007 in its frantic activity and utter failure to stand up to a well coached team with structure. Burgess will give is fitness we can’t use properly, because its so extreme it hinders skill. Thats his sporting legacy.

The only question would be which English soccer team he’d abandon us mid-preseason for this time

I wonder if Daniel Comerford is on call
Flashbacks to the build of our players under Burgess *shudder*

Burgess is a Port man. We allowed him to leave his contract to pursue a "once in a lifetime opportunity" with Arsenal. Throughout that time we maintained a good relationship with him. 5-6 years ago he had the AFL spooked with our level of fitness. Last Saturday we failed to score in the last quarter.

We need to pursue him. The idea that we were "cooked" lacks empirical proof. It is an impression made by negative, uninformed supporters when there is a huge amount of data that either supports or debunks the theory. Even if it supports the "cooked" theory, Darren still remains a leader in his field that can use that as a learning experience.

We all know of the kicking coach (name escapes me) who is a big fan of Port but rarely utilised by us. Don't let there be another huge fan, with a relevant expertise who we don't utilise or worse, allow an opposition club to have.

Get Darren back now (and Richo when he leaves SK). We're putting the band back together. We're on a mission from God.

I would have thought Burgo's 'once in a lifetime' opportunity came at Liverpool in 2010. Arsenal 2017 must have been his second 'once in a lifetime' opportunity? You are right, in 2014 we were the best finishers in the competition but after Burgo's Dubai excursion in 2015 the players came back well cooked rather than raring to go and we came back to the field pretty dramatically. We had Jasper's Dubai Diary to prove that.

The big issue I have with Burgo is that he is a 'how long' proposition. If he came back how long before he saw another 'once in a lifetime opportunity' and left Alberton?

PS Ben Perkins is the name of the NRL kicking coach we engaged. He would be worth re engaging on a consultancy basis.

I would have thought Burgo's 'once in a lifetime' opportunity came at Liverpool in 2010. Arsenal 2017 must have been his second 'once in a lifetime' opportunity? You are right, in 2014 we were the best finishers in the competition but after Burgo's Dubai excursion in 2015 the players came back well cooked rather than raring to go and we came back to the field pretty dramatically. We had Jasper's Dubai Diary to prove that.

The big issue I have with Burgo is that he is a 'how long' proposition. If he came back how long before he saw another 'once in a lifetime opportunity' and left Alberton?
I reckon you could modify one of those pizza ordering apps to measure it.

“Preparing your squad. Squad is being cooked. Your squad is cooked. Burgess is on his way...out. Please review your order.”

As I see it we released Burgess mid contract and while there were conditions we should have first call, not that I would want to see him back. I just wish Hinkley would ask to be released. I believe that Chelsea are looking for a Coach? Maybe Burgo could put in a word on Ken's behalf?

⚽

Ken for Chelsea.

Last edited:

We need to save our footy department spend to pay Hinkley out and afford a decent new coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Burgo didn't even tell the club he was leaving mid-season. That underhanded crap can get stuffed.

PS Ben Perkins is the name of the NRL kicking coach we engaged. He would be worth re engaging on a consultancy basis.
Ben Perkins is from Union not League background. Was the Wallabies kicking coach for a decade. Worked with Ports and Tredders in particular between 2001-06 years. Has worked with a few other clubs over the years but played union and got into kick coaching in Qld then was employed by the Wallabies.

Ben Perkins is from Union not League background. Was the Wallabies kicking coach for a decade. Worked with Ports and Tredders in particular between 2001-06 years. Has worked with a few other clubs over the years but played union and got into kick coaching in Qld then was employed by the Wallabies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back