Player Watch Callum Brown (Delisted 2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

There are a few in Cals position in my opinion. He is a pure mid with no tricks to get games into him in another position, hence the frustration at him sitting in a forward pocket. Apart from ‘having a go’ he just doesn’t cut it as a forward but who do you move out of the top liners to play him as a pure mid (talking more so when we were going ok)? Rantall will be the next one everyone either calls a spud for stinking it up in a pocket or says selection is wrong/blame the coach but where do you get his fist 30 games into him and who do you leave out to do it? Rantall is mid, maybe wing or nothing. Tyler Brown is pure mid and that’s it, he can’t find the footy around the ground so it’s inside the contest or nothing, no forward time or even wing for that matter. Josh Thomas was nearly another along with Blair but both had a bit more forward nous to carve out a career for themselves. Remember Beams rating Thomas very highly as a mid early days. Sometimes it would be good to think of the reasons why certain things happen before someone is automatically labeled a spud or on the flip side, the selection panel labeled as having no idea. Anyway hopefully Cal gets the last 6 games to show us what he has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cal was atleast somewhat useful as a pressure forward. I can’t see Tyler Brown or Rantall being as effective there. And even in the contest Tyler doesn’t win enough ball, he should be used as a line breaking half back or nothing. Rantall might make it as a winger but I’d prefer we stop playing one paced players there unless their skills are really good.

not going to lie, smidgen bit curious about his midfield potential because he fits the low centre of gravity + burst speed mould
That’s why he has more potential than his brother

There are a few in Cals position in my opinion. He is a pure mid with no tricks to get games into him in another position, hence the frustration at him sitting in a forward pocket. Apart from ‘having a go’ he just doesn’t cut it as a forward but who do you move out of the top liners to play him as a pure mid (talking more so when we were going ok)? Rantall will be the next one everyone either calls a spud for stinking it up in a pocket or says selection is wrong/blame the coach but where do you get his fist 30 games into him and who do you leave out to do it? Rantall is mid, maybe wing or nothing. Tyler Brown is pure mid and that’s it, he can’t find the footy around the ground so it’s inside the contest or nothing, no forward time or even wing for that matter. Josh Thomas was nearly another along with Blair but both had a bit more forward nous to carve out a career for themselves. Remember Beams rating Thomas very highly as a mid early days. Sometimes it would be good to think of the reasons why certain things happen before someone is automatically labeled a spud or on the flip side, the selection panel labeled as having no idea. Anyway hopefully Cal gets the last 6 games to show us what he has.

I have never been a fan of Cal, but he showed some great midfield skills on the weekend. If he can continue to improve that side step and dash out of traffic he is going to be a very good mid

Cal was atleast somewhat useful as a pressure forward. I can’t see Tyler Brown or Rantall being as effective there. And even in the contest Tyler doesn’t win enough ball, he should be used as a line breaking half back or nothing. Rantall might make it as a winger but I’d prefer we stop playing one paced players there unless their skills are really good.

Yeah agree Rantall and Tyler brown cant play that role. Rantall they took out the middle in the vfl and are playing him as a high half forward so obviously preparing him fo the role he will initially play if he comes into the senior side. Tyler I don’t agree 100% agree, played half back in his first season and never broke 20 disposals so doesn’t give much back attacking wise. Rantall I’ve thought about as a winger but will he just be another Phillips, runs all day and burns it a bit? Hopefully Cal backs it up with another encouraging display. Might be playing Sier out of a contract.

I think you've jumped a shark with the idea of Tyler Brown as a line breaker.

I think you've jumped a shark with the idea of Tyler Brown as a line breaker.
I think he’s got some linebreaking potential and that’s his only hope of making it. When he come back from injury I’d be playing him off half back in the VFL and telling him just to take the game on.

I think he’s got some linebreaking potential and that’s his only hope of making it. When he come back from injury I’d be playing him off half back in the VFL and telling him just to take the game on.

don’t think his disposal will ever be that good to be one of those guys streaming half back

another pre season, add more bulk to his athletic frame, plunk him in the centre in the VFL . He has shown he is good extractor of the ball at VFL level, with more muscle he will be able to compete at the higher level. Needs to develop another bow to his game where he can also spend time as a resting forward, has a great leap, decent hands.
He is another year or two away from showing his true capabilities in my opinion
he is only 21 I think, plenty of time yet

some players just take a little longer than others, I think he is worth the wait

don’t think his disposal will ever be that good to be one of those guys streaming half back

another pre season, add more bulk to his athletic frame, plunk him in the centre in the VFL . He has shown he is good extractor of the ball at VFL level, with more muscle he will be able to compete at the higher level. Needs to develop another bow to his game where he can also spend time as a resting forward, has a great leap, decent hands.
He is another year or two away from showing his true capabilities in my opinion
he is only 21 I think, plenty of time yet

some players just take a little longer than others, I think he is worth the wait
I think he's a really unconfident player at the moment. If that changes, we'll have a player.

I have never been a fan of Cal, but he showed some great midfield skills on the weekend. If he can continue to improve that side step and dash out of traffic he is going to be a very good mid
Agree. The best game I have seen him play.
Fingers crossed he powers ahead from here.
Some kids take a while to get their feet and find where they best fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

playing callum brown in any position than as a midfielder is as stupid and inappropriate and ineffective as playing silvagni in the ruck....

Any news on his apparent shoulder issue? Looked like a total non-contact thing from the footage I saw. Makes me a bit concerned if it's a serious injury given Tyler's shoulder problems.
I won’t lose sleep over it , Never have , never will. Be gone gifted games little boy

He was the pick between himself and Josh in year one, since then Cal has stagnated, cannot fault his endeavour but has no skills, not fit to be an AFL player, I fear Tyler might fit that mould too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back