Opinion Can Dustin Martin be the GOAT? (Answer: no)

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible game today.
Never understood the hype surrounding this bloke by Richmond fans.

Not even their best player yet alone a top 20 player in VFL/AFL history.

Yes it can be tough to understand why there is hype around the best finals player in history who also won Brownlows and Coaches MVP's with record votes, and has been outscored by the opposition team in Grand Finals by less goals than any other player in history to play 3 or more GF's, amongst many other unique statistical records - best offensive 1 v 1 player recorded for eg.

So tough to understand why their would be any hype around that player. :tearsofjoy:

he is very very good forward mid
similar player to leigh mathews, as good as lethal, nope, go back and look at mathews stats
at 178cm, mathews won a coleman medal
Plus, Matthews' excellence was across more than a decade. He won his first B&F in 71 and the last of his 8 in 82.

Terrible game today.
Never understood the hype surrounding this bloke by Richmond fans.

Not even their best player yet alone a top 20 player in VFL/AFL history.

Scientists should study the causal link between a player single-handedly denying a club 2 flags, and the speed at which supporters of the denied club rush to this thread with a lump in their pants when said bloke doesn't have a great game

Scientists should study the causal link between a player single-handedly denying a club 2 flags, and the speed at which supporters of the denied club rush to this thread with a lump in their pants when said bloke doesn't have a great game

Well he didn’t really, did he.
I’ll grant you one.
Much as I don’t especially rate him, Tom Lynch denied us in 2019.

Well he didn’t really, did he.
I’ll grant you one.
Much as I don’t especially rate him, Tom Lynch denied us in 2019.

He definitely did in 2020

I would agree Tom Lynch was the most impactful player in 2019 PF, but Dusty got things rolling for the come back

& I say this with respect - from 2007 to 2017, the relationship between Richmond & Geelong was akin to Reek & Ramsay Bolton. His qualifying finals performance was significant to making the team believe

He definitely did in 2020

I would agree Tom Lynch was the most impactful player in 2019 PF, but Dusty got things rolling for the come back

& I say this with respect - from 2007 to 2017, the relationship between Richmond & Geelong was akin to Reek & Ramsay Bolton. His qualifying finals performance was significant to making the team believe

lol fair play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

@Meteoric Rise what's going on here, has Dusty played his last game?

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

You are asking me to comment on an unconfirmed report based on zero credible attributions out of the mouth of Mike Sheehann's kid, whatever his name is? I won't.

Dusty will play until he doesn't want to any longer and none of us has any real idea when that will be.

You are asking me to comment on an unconfirmed report based on zero credible attributions out of the mouth of Mike Sheehann's kid, whatever his name is? I won't.

Dusty will play until he doesn't want to any longer and none of us has any real idea when that will be.
Very dignified

On SM-A225F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He will never be the goat.

Greatest finals/granny player? Probably.

His 2017 was the stuff of dreams and he's had several more top shelf years but I suspect for a person like him that keeping to that 2017 level would be impossible mentally - he was very clear after 2017 that he felt quite empty because he had achieved everything.

Regardless he'll be HOF guaranteed and has been a marvel to watch, especially when breaking tackles and creating goals when needed.

One of the greatest things I've ever seen him do is refuse to let the Tiges lose when Jack and Cotch were playing their last games and were completely stuffed. Dead rubber against North and Dusty just wouldn't let it go the wrong way. I see performances like that and I think he may be a very emotionally driven person, hence why he lifts in grand finals etc.

Wouldn't surprise me if he retired this year. He hasn't exactly been great so far so it is safe to say he is slowing down.

I doubt you have been watching fully. Dusty was BOG or near to it at HT v Blues and Port before fading due to his leg issue. After a freshen up to get that right, he returns and is in the coaches votes. He is playing quality football.

Last edited:
I doubt you have been watching fully. Dusty was BOG or neat to it at HT v Blues and Port before fading due to his leg issue. After a freshen up to get that right, he returns and is in the coaches votes. He is playing quality football.
Statistically his first two games were still decent (plenty of SIs etc) but he did seem off it with his disposal, decision making and seeing out games. There were a few blunders where the pace of the game were a bit much, and then he found it hard to get involved in the last quarter.

His third game was much better and worthy of the coaches votes/being listed in his side's best players.

Like Dangerfield has for a few years, he will light it up when his body allows but is starting to work through a lot of niggles that cut him down.

I doubt you have been watching fully. Dusty was BOG or neat to it at HT v Blues and Port before fading due to his leg issue. After a freshen up to get that right, he returns and is in the coaches votes. He is playing quality football.

Watched an earlier game this year and his disposal was awful. Almost every kick he had seemed to go to the opposition.

Watched an earlier game this year and his disposal was awful. Almost every kick he had seemed to go to the opposition.

This doesn't seem to be borne out in his statistical record.

In 2024 Dusty is averaging:

• a career low 2.3 clangers per match
  • a career high 8.9 disposals per clanger
  • near career low 3.7 turnovers per match, and
  • relatively high 5.6 disposals per turnover.

His goals, goal assist, score involvements and score involvement % all seem to be around career averages give or take a little in either direction. The only numbers that look a little abnormal for him are his contested possessions, where he is running at 7 per match, normally this would be around 10, and this possibly helps to explain his better clanger and turnover numbers.

I have seen a lot of Dusty play as you would expect. Apart from his two second half fadeouts v Carlton and Port he has looked very close to his brilliant best. He doesn't get every play perfect but nobody does or ever has.

This doesn't seem to be borne out in his statistical record.

In 2024 Dusty is averaging:

• a career low 2.3 clangers per match
  • a career high 8.9 disposals per clanger
  • near career low 3.7 turnovers per match, and
  • relatively high 5.6 disposals per turnover.

His goals, goal assist, score involvements and score involvement % all seem to be around career averages give or take a little in either direction. The only numbers that look a little abnormal for him are his contested possessions, where he is running at 7 per match, normally this would be around 10, and this possibly helps to explain his better clanger and turnover numbers.

I have seen a lot of Dusty play as you would expect. Apart from his two second half fadeouts v Carlton and Port he has looked very close to his brilliant best. He doesn't get every play perfect but nobody does or ever has.
But you would accept that Dangerfield with coaches votes in 2/2 games has started the year better than Martin, coaches votes in 1/3 games - correct? Geelong could easily be 2-2 instead of 4-0 without those strong performances. Martin has not been able to be a match winner this season, and seemed to save those types of heroics for the dead rubbers in 2023 rather than the early critical part of the season.

Is there a reason he takes a while to get going? Muscle memory assuming he's in the 2017-2020 Tigers teams, ready to switch on for the important stuff?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back