Can Port win a premiership under Ken Hinkley?

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, I reckon that was the only legitimate chance you've had
2014 we were a bees dick away from a grand final. 2021 we also finished 2nd and were wiped away in the prelim. Hinkley just can't get us up for the big games for whatever reason. He's had 3 legitimate chances to take us to the grand final and failed every time. This year is looking like history repeating itself.

I hope more than anything I'm wrong but I just don't see it happening this year because I've seen this story time and time again and I know how it ends.

I was screaming for him to be sacked. You are dealing in the same myths the media loves so much. If he was so great why didn't anyone appoint him before us and ever since. And the media peddle the BS that he would get a contract elsewhere. He's 56 years old no other club wants him. He's a proven loser - AGAIN.
Harsh

2014 we were a bees dick away from a grand final. 2021 we also finished 2nd and were wiped away in the prelim. Hinkley just can't get us up for the big games for whatever reason. He's had 3 legitimate chances to take us to the grand final and failed every time. This year is looking like history repeating itself.

I hope more than anything I'm wrong but I just don't see it happening this year because I've seen this story time and time again and I know how it ends.
I am sure everyone said the same about mark Williams

Completely different.

Williams teams regularly finished top, and just fell over on the finals. But then they backed up the next year and had another crack, eventually breaking through.

2004 he was in his 6th year, after finishing top 3 years.

You could argue he went stale after that and fair enough.

Daddy donuts is in year ELEVEN and has 3 losing prelims and 5x missing the finals completely to show for it.

I seriously doubt any Cats supporter remembers much about Ken's football career, it wasn't very memorable.
I remember Ken’s footy career.
At Geelong he was an unaccountable hbf, getting plenty of possessions at half back but never really playing on anyone.
He was probably amongst the first “quarterback” players, another Malcolm Blight innovation.
Blighty thought more about all out attack than defence and gave Hinkley the license to play the way he did.
Geelong were good but not good enough to win a flag, a bit like Ken’s AFL coaching career.

longdonkey ,it was Bell Park he coached to a flag, not Mill Park, also Camperdown.
Ken’s a winner.

Last edited:
That's not true about the only person who thought that was our major sponsor and it took half the time that it has taken Hinkley for Chocko to win a premiership but most damning thing is Hinkley has had 3 teams that he has bombed with.
He started with the team he inherited from Primus the young team that he took to the Prelim v Hawthorn.
Then he had the team he built with Dixon, Ryder then Watts, Motlop, Trengove, Rockiff. After he bombed with that team he then wanted to go to the draft and build another team.
The Rozee Butters team that we have now and that he is about to bomb with. The only common denominator is Hinkley and also Boak. They are the only 2 who have been around for the whole sh!tshow.

Remind us where you are on the ladder?
When's the last time a club was sitting a game clear of 3rd in the top 2 and the supporters wanted the coach sacked?
Apart from Port at the moment the only one that comes to mind is Hawthorn supporters wanting Clarkson sacked in 2013 while on top of the ladder.

I have said it before and I will say it again....

I would love Hinkley at the dockers, If that means we win 5 finals in 9 seasons like your team between 2013-21.

I would definately take that, Especially with only 8 finals spots each year and 18, soon to be 20 teams in the league as well.
Would you see Hinkley as an upgrade on Longmuir, similar to how Lyon was an upgrade on Harvey?

Would you see Hinkley as an upgrade on Longmuir, similar to how Lyon was an upgrade on Harvey?
Yep... In a way.

Lyon got Fremantle to 4 years of finals including a Grand final.

Hinkley won't get Freo to a flag or even a grand final. But I think he could get us finals for 3 or 4 years in a row.

I would hate guys like Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Darcy etc rotting their careers with Freo finishing in the bottom 8.

Yep... In a way.

Lyon got Fremantle to 4 years of finals including a Grand final.

Hinkley won't get Freo to a flag or even a grand final. But I think he could get us finals for 3 or 4 years in a row.

I would hate guys like Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Darcy etc rotting their careers with Freo finishing in the bottom 8.
I know Ken hasn't delivered any silverware at Port, but he did coach a premiership 20 years ago and he's coaching at the top of his game right now.
Ken could deliver silverware to Fremantle with a little bit of luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When's the last time a club was sitting a game clear of 3rd in the top 2 and the supporters wanted the coach sacked?
Apart from Port at the moment the only one that comes to mind is Hawthorn supporters wanting Clarkson sacked in 2013 while on top of the ladder.

How many of those coaches had proven they weren't up to it over the course of 11 years? That's the issue here, he has had time, he has had lisence to build lists that are HIS and he has never produced a team that has what it takes to win. As for our current ladder position I'm sure our participation award is in the mail...yay.

Ken will be safe unless somehow they miss out on the top 4 and bomb out in week 1.

If GWS happen to beat Port in round 22, there may only be a 1 game difference between the two teams with 2 games to play. % diff would likely be negligible. Still lots to play out before it gets to that stage but it would be an unbelievable turn of events if Port find themselves potentially winning the last 2 to stay in the top 4

If Port loses in an upset this week to the oldtimers, then Kenny will be in strife again! I doubt that will happen as they bounce back with a huge win on the road.

Geelong are 1,50 favs and at home.

Caro saying a 2 year deal is pending and Kane Cornes said a verbal agreement has been agreed to extend him. Won't announce it this week as they lost the Showdown but should be soon.
Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

And he won't succeed this time either, I agree. Who do you see in his place?

I know Ken hasn't delivered any silverware at Port, but he did coach a premiership 20 years ago and he's coaching at the top of his game right now.
Ken could deliver silverware to Fremantle with a little bit of luck.

If Kochie doesn't extend his contract, the Gold Coast Suns will swoop, sign him up and he'll make the Suns win thr next 5 premierships in a row. You can take it to the bank!

Kochie must sign him up pronto.

This Allir concussion controversy could honestly be the start of the end game for Hinkley at Port.

It's now probably given the Port board a credible out to not re-signing, esp if the Power bow out of the finals before making the Grand Final again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back