Unofficial Preview Changes/Discussion v WCE Round 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminder! We still need a handful of preview writers for coming weeks - Melbourne, Gold Coast (BRAB?), and Adelaide!

It will be interesting to see who gets the gig if Payne doesn't come up.

Gardner or Joyce.

I can make claims for either. One is 27 and the other is 26 and I wish we had a youngster in the Twos who was a key back.
I think Dizzy would get the gig, due to probably playing on the no. 1 or 2 forward , so would rotate those roles with Andrews.
If Lester was not available I would go Joyce , more mobile and in that role I reckon he can shut down and run back to cover when required.

I think a spell for Big O and Ashcroft could also be on the cards. Need them cherry ripe for Melbourne game.

It’s a long season so I would be going:
Out: linc, ah chee, Dunkley, big O (rested) Ashcroft (rested)
In: fort Zorko Lohmann Lyons and either tunstill/sharp.

Dev robbo Lyons and Neale on ball, Zorko Bailey and berry rotating
Fletch and tunstill/sharp on the wings with berry rotating wing/centre

Fort rucks the whole game with a chop out from Jo

Re changes we don’t want to mess with form too much by resting too many players.

I also don’t want to have an embarrassing loss.

I’d say we will make bare minimum changes.

Three forced changes with the suspension of Linc, Dunkley's calf issue and Ah Chee's concussion.
You could argue these came at the right time or maybe upset some planned coaches' changes v Eagles.
Playing the Eagles, we can cover those guys and still win the game.
The coaches may have planned to manage a player or two and give Lohmann or another VFL player a go at AFL level.
Then we may have Zorko back so that helps.

How many changes is to many going into the following game v Demons at the MCG.
Three changes: Zorko for Linc, Dev (or Lyons) for Dunkley and Fort (or VFL Small fwd or Gunston) for Ah Chee.

Two changes Zorko for Linc, Fort (or VFL Small fwd or Gunston) for Ah Chee
Dev moves into the midfield for Dunkley and either Fort or a small fwd VFL player or Gunston as the sub.

Then do they give Payne more time to get his ankle right if so, that is 3 or 4 forced changes. Gardiner or Joyce for Payne.

I thought this was the ideal game to manage Oscar but that may not happen now.
Maybe Fort in to share the duties will have the same benefit.

i know everyone will say why have i included Gunston.
He was named emergency last week so the coaches must thing he is close to selection.
I would prefer he play VFL and start kicking a bag of goals and apply more pressure to justify any future selection.
Also, the rants on here would be epic if he got selected.

Three forced changes with the suspension of Linc, Dunkley's calf issue and Ah Chee's concussion.
You could argue these came at the right time or maybe upset some planned coaches' changes v Eagles.
Playing the Eagles, we can cover those guys and still win the game.
The coaches may have planned to manage a player or two and give Lohmann or another VFL player a go at AFL level.
Then we may have Zorko back so that helps.

How many changes is to many going into the following game v Demons at the MCG.
Three changes: Zorko for Linc, Dev (or Lyons) for Dunkley and Fort (or VFL Small fwd or Gunston) for Ah Chee.

Two changes Zorko for Linc, Fort (or VFL Small fwd or Gunston) for Ah Chee
Dev moves into the midfield for Dunkley and either Fort or a small fwd VFL player or Gunston as the sub.

Then do they give Payne more time to get his ankle right if so, that is 3 or 4 forced changes. Gardiner or Joyce for Payne.

I thought this was the ideal game to manage Oscar but that may not happen now.
Maybe Fort in to share the duties will have the same benefit.

i know everyone will say why have i included Gunston.
He was named emergency last week so the coaches must thing he is close to selection.
I would prefer he play VFL and start kicking a bag of goals and apply more pressure to justify any future selection.
Also, the rants on here would be epic if he got selected.
I'm almost certain that Dunkley's calf issue is just an impact/bruise injury🤞 as he had it strapped and continued to play for a while on Thursday night when at that stage of the game it was well and truly won.

I'd be surprised if he isn't ok for the Demons game.

Me thinks the club could also be playing games re whether he will play in a fortnight. I reckon this week is a precautionary week off. He is one of our most important dudes. Pure speculation.
Of all of our players, I would suspect that in his role he gets banged up every game more than most. If he is a bit sore from the cork, might as well give him the week off. He won't be the difference between us winning or losing against the eagles. I would love to see them use it as a test to put Dev in his role.

Cam and Clugga on Kick Ons today saying that it's a wait and see as to whether Charlie Cameron gets up for this game, teeth issue, apparently a few being held in there via wire and rubber bands.

Cam and Clugga on Kick Ons today saying that it's a wait and see as to whether Charlie Cameron gets up for this game, teeth issue, apparently a few being held in there via wire and rubber bands.
Probably not all that surprising, it was a fair old whack to the choppers.
We don't need him to win the game, but as others have said, how many changes is too many? Does it really matter if the vast majority have played together all year?

Reckon he'd be pretty keen to play this one. Has been a bit down goal kicking wise the past month. Reckon he could taste a few on offer this weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re changes we don’t want to mess with form too much by resting too many players.

I also don’t want to have an embarrassing loss.

I’d say we will make bare minimum changes.
Agree.

If they're fit they play.

"Resting" players smells of arrogance and the last thing you want to do is give the opposition psychological ammunition.

We can't afford a slip up .

Saturday afternoon is an unusual time slot for us and I'm worried a small crowd and lack of atmosphere work to even up this contest as it is.

If Charlie is out as well >

Outs- Josh Dunkley(calf), Lincoln McCarthy(susp), Callum Ah Chee(conc), Jack Payne(ankle/managed?), Charlie Cameron(teeth).

Ins- Kai Lohmann, Darragh Joyce, Dayne Zorko, James Madden, Jimmy Tunstill.

Sub- Jarryd Lyons/Blake Coleman.

Jeez Charlie too! Looks like we will be thin.

I don't reckon he is the sort to play through bad pain. And why do it against West Coast.

I think we can carry the outs even with Charlie, it's not like we are bringing in the sort of inexperience that had to come in vs Essendon last year - who were a much better side than West Coast, and we nearly won. This time we would bring in enough experience to counter it. I do think we should bring in Lyons for that reason.

OUT Cameron, McCarthy, Ah Chee, Dunkley
IN Lohmann, Zorko, Lyons, Fort or Tunstill

Please no Gunston! Kick an easy bag, play against Melbourne and do absolutely nothing but get run off at the MCG.

Our problem is the remaining players are not really suited in terms of positional replacement. In order of preference:

Fort - give Oscar an easy week before potentially going solo v Grundy and Gawn
Tunstill - just play him half forward / midfield, swapping with Bailey
Sharp - thought he was much improved over his three weeks. Would he and Fletcher be too young on the wing? Maybe.
Madden / Prior - go to half back, Wilmot wing, Bez more half forward. Not my preferred option but hey it does let us try some things.
Blake Coleman - probably risky having him and Lohmann in the team but seems to be much improved.

A lot less cocky about this than I was 6 days ago. Still enough talent for a pretty decent victory if the attitude is right. Best bet of the weekend would be Preston in the VFL though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back