Unofficial Preview Changes for Round 13 vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
because big wil has cricket bats for hands

he might clunk the odd one, and force a contest, but he's not a forward's you-know-what. a liability on the rebound.

Apart from the god damn awful drop he had on the weekend he generally has good hands and at the moment it doesn't fit our game style having 3 leadup forwards when we just bomb it in. I don't see anyone better to be that huge FF type we need (currently) and I think it's worth a shot, plus his body needs a rest from getting smashed everyweek by two ruckmen.

Apart from the god damn awful drop he had on the weekend he generally has good hands and at the moment it doesn't fit our game style having 3 leadup forwards when we just bomb it in. I don't see anyone better to be that huge FF type we need (currently) and I think it's worth a shot, plus his body needs a rest from getting smashed everyweek by two ruckmen.

have agree to disagree about wil's hands, liam jones he aint. wil ain't even ilija grgic.
if wil's body needs a spell, then sit him on the sidelines.

B: Easton Wood Jordan Roughead Dale Morris

HB: Robert Murphy Fletcher Roberts Shaun Higgins

C: Liam Picken Mathew Boyd Jack Macrae

HF: Luke Dahlhaus Stewart Crameri Jarrad Grant

F: Ayce Cordy Liam Jones Daniel Giansiracusa

Foll: Will Minson Ryan Griffen Tom Liberatore

Int: Adam Cooney Nathan Hrovat Mitch Honeychurch

Sub: Jason Tutt

In: Fletcher Roberts Mathew Boyd Ayce Cordy

Liam Jones Mitch Honeychurch

Out: Mitch Wallis Koby Stevens Tom Williams

Christian Howard Marcus Bontempelli

I'm tipping us to beat Collingwood, and to back it up and beat Port next week too :). Should be ripping odds for a small bet too.

I think we play better when there is less pressure (i.e. not expected to win), we take the game on better and don't go into our shells. A kick up the pants losing to Brisbane should see us work harder. And I think (hope) we have learnt a lesson that flooding everyone back into our forward 50 can be exposed badly on the rebound. We corrected this after half time and kept better structure (but didn't convert in the third and it was too much in the fourth).

But the main reason we will win is because a sacrifice has been made to the footy gods. I was given a Doggies easter egg, which I told the kids a few weeks ago that we would eat after the doggies next win... Well on Sunday we had a special ceremony and sacrificed the poor bunny to appease footy gods = certain win this weekend :D

Finding it hard to come up with a team this week...

I'd go something like
Out- Williams Howard Stevens
In- Talia Jones Cordy

Picken Roughead Morris
Murphy Talia Wood
Macrae Libba Tutt
Dalhaus Jones Crameri
Grant Cordy Giansiracusa

Minson Griffen Wallis

Bontempelli Higgins Hrovat
Cooney

Possibly could bring in Stringer instead of Cordy

Might as well go watch Footscray... at least they're winning and playing good footy!

Selection is going to really difficult to pick this week, we could go in a number of directions.

For mine, I'd like to go something like this;

In: Redpath (elevated), Roberts, Jones, Campbell
Out: Williams, Howard, Stevens (omitted), Minson (back)

Not the most ideal game for Redpath to come in, as he'll probably cop Frost who is an excellent matchup for him but it allows Jones to get Keeffe who he should be able to burn on the lead and will also allow one of Crameri/Grant to get off the leash too. Cordy could be used instead of Redpath but 1. Cordy isn't as much of a mismatch for Keeffe 2. Roberts can relief ruck.

Speaking of Roberts, he needs to come in and take Jesse White so Morris can lock down Elliot and Wood then become a more attacking option.

I've been saying it all year that Minson is playing hurt and I think mow that the season is clearly over and we have gone backwards in terms of potential wins it's time to see if Campbell can be no.1 ruck at AFL level. Again though, wouldn't be upset if we went with Cordy instead.

As for the outs, Williams isn't having an influence so it's probably time to send him to the VFL and give him 6 weeks to dominate there to prove he should get another season. Stevens is probably slightly stiff (he didn't play great but he was the worse out of all of the inside mids and especially when we're bringing talls in we can't sacrifice outside run). And Howard knew after that terrible turnover in the backline before he got subbed last week has ended his career. Even if it didn't, he's now mentally shot - a bit like Vesz was after his 3 touch game against Geelong last year - and he is gone at seasons end.

Higgins cleared of injury.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2014-06-10/higgins-cleared-boyd-monitored

Shaun Higgins has been cleared of any injury, while medical staff will continue to monitor Matthew Boyd’s hamstring tightness as the Western Bulldogs prepare to face Collingwood on Sunday afternoon.

“The doctors assessed [Higgins] and monitored him throughout the game, and he was a little bit sore following, but over the night and the next day at injury clinic he pulled up really well and hasn’t missed a beat since then,” said McKenzie.
“He’s available to train this week, and will be available to play.”

He's a change in plan but why not have Minson predominately play FF against Collingwood and instead have Campbell have as the main ruckman. This is a very temporary plan but with our game style he would actually be a pretty good option right in the goal square. Collingwood's KPD are more the agile types than possessing alot of strength and he could do with less ground to cover during the whole game. If he just initiates body contact with his size and marking ability he might draw a couple of defenders in leaving us with a player spare.

Forward Setup against the pies (that I would like to see)

Grant, Crameri, Hunter,
Dahlhaus, Minson, Stringer

In fact I would like to see how he goes at FF for a couple of games (try and refresh the body) and see how many contested marks he could take, least our midfielders can bomb it in there with some form of hope for a contested or overhead mark. Gia to coach him through the week and on gameday.
Lachlan Keeffe would be a perfect match up for Minson. Keeffe is 100kg and is taller than Minson.

Collingwood do not struggle against tall forwards (unless you've got an out and out gun like Hawkins). Melbourne and West Coast both went very tall up forward against us the last few matches and it didn't work. Melbourne had Frawley, Dawes, Pederson + a ruck at times and the ball was just rebounded quickly.

Collingwood's weakness is fast and agile forwards who force our rebounding half-backs to be accountable. It has been that way since you use to beat us regularly back around 2006. Aside from Toovey we haven't got reliable lockdown small defenders and teams have exposed us on the rebound with pace.

Just my 2c, not meaning to intrude but if i was coaching against Collingwood I'd go for pace over height.

Lachlan Keeffe would be a perfect match up for Minson. Keeffe is 100kg and is taller than Minson.

Collingwood do not struggle against tall forwards (unless you've got an out and out gun like Hawkins). Melbourne and West Coast both went very tall up forward against us the last few matches and it didn't work. Melbourne had Frawley, Dawes, Pederson + a ruck at times and the ball was just rebounded quickly.

Collingwood's weakness is fast and agile forwards who force our rebounding half-backs to be accountable. It has been that way since you use to beat us regularly back around 2006. Aside from Toovey we haven't got reliable lockdown small defenders and teams have exposed us on the rebound with pace.

Just my 2c, not meaning to intrude but if i was coaching against Collingwood I'd go for pace over height.
Yeah Rocket did have the wood on you lot before 2010 with his small/medium types up forward, I think you guys only beat us twice from 05-09 and we played you twice a season regularly back then.

ON THE CUSP: Defenders Matthew Fuller and Daniel Pearce will likely face Collingwood in Round 13. Veteran Matthew Boyd may still be tender following a tight hamstring but could return.

Bloke is surely taking the piss.

Out: Howard, Williams
In: JJ, Cordy

Not really sure about the JJ inclusion, but he is the only one I will give a spot to just because the bloke supplies run off half back. If Jones gets a run before Cordy there is something wrong, give the bloke a chance.
Howard and Williams are just s**t, clearly not up to AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloke is surely taking the piss.

Out: Howard, Williams
In: JJ, Cordy

Not really sure about the JJ inclusion, but he is the only one I will give a spot to just because the bloke supplies run off half back. If Jones gets a run before Cordy there is something wrong, give the bloke a chance.
Howard and Williams are just s**t, clearly not up to AFL level.
Not included in that but it is included in the article is our injury list. Both Fuller and Pearce were still listed on the injury list so he was saying that they would play VFL this weekend.

Why i want Wallis in the side, him and libba have an important role for the club.
When in balls up they tackle any person that takes it from the hitout and contain the situation to allow us another chance to win the ball up and have quick hands to pass it off.

Not included in that but it is included in the article is our injury list. Both Fuller and Pearce were still listed on the injury list so he was saying that they would play VFL this weekend.
They will be playing VFL for the remainder of the season as well. I never believed the hype in Pearce from the beginning, think he should be gone at the end of this year.
Fuller I really have no idea about, was said to be a jet off Half Back but cant get a kick in the VFL, so possibly yet another wasted pick.

Fuller I really have no idea about, was said to be a jet off Half Back but cant get a kick in the VFL, so possibly yet another wasted pick.

Yeah I have heard some really good things about him from Norwood fans. They were spewing when we nabbed him. He's been terrible in all of the VFL games but perhaps is underdone/not settled.

I'm not sure why Tom Williams is being listed by many as an out.
I thought he had a pretty fair game on Saturday. His Stats aren't great but I thought he competed well.
He blocked a space for Hrovat's first mark-goal. He sheperded Picken's long bomb through.
He brought the ball to ground. He helped out in the ruck. He kicked a couple himself.
He has managed 3 games in a row and is improving each week.
I thought he was more effective than Grant and Crameri, but I wouldn't drop them either.

Howard was poor, Bontempelli made a lot of mistakes, so did Stevens.

Love to see Jones return. Boyd too. Maybe Cordy. Williams can play either end.
Play Griffin off a half back flank to take some pressure off him.

If we can put 4 quarters together we might be a funny chance for an upset.
Eternally optimistic!!:rolleyes:

KM

Yeah I have heard some really good things about him from Norwood fans. They were spewing when we nabbed him. He's been terrible in all of the VFL games but perhaps is underdone/not settled.

Yeah I think he hasn't adjusted to the rigorous AFL training as well as people have thought. I know he had a minor setback earlier on but with the testimonials on him from his SAFL days everyone was expecting a lot more from him.

I would play the VFL team, its got a bit of height - key forwards and key defenders and a couple of ruckman
And its on a three game winning roll and according to one of ourmost renown posters they are winning games with the worst coach in the history of the game - and he should know he coached for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back