Preview Changes/Preview round 22 v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Whereas I'm more confident about this than I am the Sydney game in R24.

Carlton's revival has come from smashing teams around the ball. With Walsh and Cerra out, it's Cripps, Dow, Hewett and Docherty up against Oliver, Viney, Petracca and Sparrow. No huge worries there IMO – if May plays well on Curnow, I don't see how they beat us.

Sydney are killing teams with efficiency, they were honestly very lucky to beat the dogs, bombers and giants. Sounds stupid I know but they got belted around the ball in all 3 games, if we play ‘ok’ we will beat them. I’m concerned ‘ok’ might not be enough to beat carlton.

Sydney are killing teams with efficiency, they were honestly very lucky to beat the dogs, bombers and giants. Sounds stupid I know but they got belted around the ball in all 3 games, if we play ‘ok’ we will beat them. I’m concerned ‘ok’ might not be enough to beat carlton.
Fair enough – I guess Carlton just don't scare me. Their strengths (inside mids and key forwards) are fairly well covered by our inside mids and key backs.

That, and my word do they have a lot of plodders in their 22 at the moment.

Maybe I'm just optimistic because they haven't beaten us since Obama was US President.

Whereas I'm more confident about this than I am the Sydney game in R24.

Carlton's revival has come from smashing teams around the ball. With Walsh and Cerra out, it's Cripps, Dow, Hewett and Docherty up against Oliver, Viney, Petracca and Sparrow. No huge worries there IMO – if May plays well on Curnow, I don't see how they beat us.
Oliver who's missed 12 weeks and Trac who plays forward more
It's Carlton's mids against Jordan Sparrow and Brayshaw for times.

Let's not pretend like we haven't famously been spanked in the midfield a few times with all these 'elite' players.

Our clearance work will be a good watch, I’ve posted about it before but since Olivers injury we’ve lost the count only twice.
If there's a way to bet on us losing it I'm in.
Guaranteed Oliver tries to come in get 30 rusty touches and throws out the balance.

Let's not pretend like we haven't famously been spanked in the midfield a few times with all these 'elite' players.
True – you know how much I can't stand Jordon and Brayshaw most of the time, but it's also worth remembering that with their outs, their secondary mid rotations are players like Cuningham and Fogarty, so it's not all that much of a disadvantage.

Idk, call it misplaced optimism, but I just don't really rate Carlton with the players they have missing.

I am too, but at least for me I know it’s because if we win, I’ll legitimately believe and that scares me.
I think mine is cause the campaigners have sucked me in again with this exciting new play and I've been hurt too many times to see it blow up this weekend.

No team has won the flag finishing 4th in this system, dogs from 7th or whatever is the outlier.

We need top 2 to win it. We need to be good enough to beat the blues to be reliable enough to win 3 finals

Be the bigger man and don’t give them cards. * their board is absolute 🧈
Haha, lurk likes don't bother me personally – it's all a bit of fun.

I'm making very definitive statements about Carlton and am well aware that it opens me up to that kind of thing lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually haven't watched any of Carlton recently, but they've won like 7 in a row or something and are good now? Not having it, Melk to bring us home again with 4 snags.

Also match time has changed from 7:25 to 7:30 to accommodate the finish of the Matildas match which is pretty nifty.

Second hand goss from training:

Smith trained forward.
Schache trained with the backline.
Tomlinson did some ruck craft work.

Intriguing...
Makes sense with one tall down to not use JVR as backup ruck and just keep him in the 50. Tomlinson to play back with maybe 10% ruck and Pig/Rivers to fill in those few minutes I guess.

Still think we'll be short enough up forward that Carlton won't be able to just walk it out whenever the ball hits the deck. Our smalls are hitting form at the right time. I'm more worried about Weitering taking a million intercept marks.

One sample size but when we had Joel Smith as our forward against Brisbane a few rounds ago, he was absolutely towelled up by Harris Andrews. Andrews constantly out bodied and out marked him. Smith looked very undersized in that game. The very least Smith needs to do is split a contest. If he is not doing that he can't be playing a key post.
This never actually happened though.

Can’t imagine there would be too many moments where Petracca is forward and both Viney and Oliver are off the field. Jordon will hopefully have limited bounce time.

Grundy set to play

Let's hope he clunks a few contested marks and snags a few

Maybe i am delusional.

Interesting post from the Blues board 👇🏼 Blues haven’t beaten us in a final in 60 years. I have this eerie feeling we’re going to meet them in a prelim this season. Hopefully we can extend the hoodoo.

985B3AAC-7E12-445C-B16D-C548BE6F4CF2.jpeg

Fair enough – I guess Carlton just don't scare me. Their strengths (inside mids and key forwards) are fairly well covered by our inside mids and key backs.

That, and my word do they have a lot of plodders in their 22 at the moment.

Maybe I'm just optimistic because they haven't beaten us since Obama was US President.
Carlton are missing McKay, Walsh, Cerra, Kennedy, Silvagni, McGovern, Williams. Surely we go in confident. Curnow and Jack Martin are the only two we really need to keep quiet in the F50. We should be winning this by 5 goals.

Melksham
This never actually happened though.
Maybe in your mind. I watched the game as well and this is exactly how it played out in the last quarter. Still not here to argue your perception versus reality. The point was whether Joel Smith was fit to play as a key position forward. Cheers.

Why is our team being leaked 24 hours before due to be released. Geelong (A good club) would have named Smith forward then brought Grundy in 20 minutes before the bounce.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back