Preview Changes: R10 vs St Kilda, Saturday May 21, 7.00pm ACST @ Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

That a Crows player wasn't gonna play this week because they did something off field that got them an intra club suspension

To clarify, there was no suspension by Sunday. I was guessing they won't get picked based on there being an alleged incident.

If something did happen, surely you make a statement Friday afternoon on the eve of a Federal election.

To clarify, there was no suspension by Sunday. I was guessing they won't get picked based on there being an alleged incident.

If something did happen, surely you make a statement Friday afternoon on the eve of a Federal election.

If it was Dusty and Richmond, you reckon it would be a club suspension? Or is it us typically acting above and beyond when it comes to punishing our players for minor incidents .

If it was Dusty and Richmond, you reckon it would be a club suspension? Or is it us typically acting above and beyond when it comes to punishing our players for minor incidents .

Look at how Nicks talks after every other controversy.

Stuff like welcoming draft sanctions ahead of the handing down of penalties for the Barossa Covid breach, said something along the lines of, 'we'll cop what the AFL deem appropriate and just wear it'.

We know stuff happens at clubs that never makes the news. Do people like Nicks paint themselves into a corner whenever something pops up?

Chayce Jones would legitimately be the last player I would think would be having off field indiscretions.

If we did move Crouch on...and I don't see the point, it would be a salary dump ( of which he isn't on big money) and oit wouldn't get us a proper pick in return. I'd rather keep him and see if he can get himself right rather than do a needless salary dump or get a nothing pick just to see him find some form next year

Pretty sure that was the club's rationale at the end of last year. Problem is if we keep him, the club will keep selecting him. We're better off taking that option away from the selection committee regardless of what we get in return.

Pretty sure that was the club's rationale at the end of last year. Problem is if we keep him, the club will keep selecting him. We're better off taking that option away from the selection committee regardless of what we get in return.
To be fair in recent weeks, the selection committee have not been afraid of dropping out of form experienced players, including Crouch & ROB.... which is something given we don't have a big core of experienced players on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This just makes so much sense. What is the point of risking his neck which clearly isn’t up to any direct impact. Give him time off and cycle through some other guys.
I wonder if his neck stuff is as much mental than physical

Obviously physical to begin with to require surgery but even bumps and tackles he’s receiving elsewhere are causing him to protect his neck after

Certainly doesn’t shirk any contests but more the aftermath

I don't often criticise selection but I am unsure what to make of our approach with Thilthorpe this season.

An indifferent preseason and quiet Round 1 saw him dumped instantly. Disappointing. I would have liked us to "give him a chance to respond" as is our want with anyone older than 24 for months on end.

Then while fit and available he played a stretch in the SANFL while Himmelberg was preferred to him.

Now after missing multiple weeks with a knee injury + COVID he's being rushed straight back in? With no touch or match fitness behind him.

Set up to fail?

It's like we realised too late all that glitters with Himmelberg isn't gold. That Thilthorpe should have been playing all along. That if we give him a couple of weeks to tune up in the SANFL now the season will be more than half over before we bring him back.

So we're rushing him in now to make up for our previous selection mistakes. Desperately trying to get something out of the season.

It's why picking on form is so stupid.

Thilthorpe > Himmelberg

Now and forever. If Himmelberg has a better preseason, better warm up games, the odd better AFL game it doesn't change the equation.

Posters on here get accused of being enamoured with new shiny things. Well the club gets enamoured with whoever shines in meaningless trainings or short term bursts of game form.

We lack a feel for underlying quality. Lack vision for the best way to develop our most talented players.

We are a great club and great culture for the good honest triers. The Lachlan Murphys of the competition will thrive here. The A Grade ceiling players...? Not so much.

You watch us put murphy in for Rachele..

Murphy shouldnt be played unless its through the midfield.. he’s a very poor small forward.
Another poster suggested dropping Brown for Murphy, to play him in the back pocket with stints in the midfield.
I think the idea has merit.

Waddaya reckon, anybody?

I always imagined you being a millennial

this is what I imagine
will-ferrell-meatloaf.gif

I don't often criticise selection but I am unsure what to make of our approach with Thilthorpe this season.

An indifferent preseason and quiet Round 1 saw him dumped instantly. Disappointing. I would have liked us to "give him a chance to respond" as is our want with anyone older than 24 for months on end.

Then while fit and available he played a stretch in the SANFL while Himmelberg was preferred to him.

Now after missing multiple weeks with a knee injury + COVID he's being rushed straight back in? With no touch or match fitness behind him.

Set up to fail?

It's like we realised too late all that glitters with Himmelberg isn't gold. That Thilthorpe should have been playing all along. That if we give him a couple of weeks to tune up in the SANFL now the season will be more than half over before we bring him back.

So we're rushing him in now to make up for our previous selection mistakes. Desperately trying to get something out of the season.

It's why picking on form is so stupid.

Thilthorpe > Himmelberg

Now and forever. If Himmelberg has a better preseason, better warm up games, the odd better AFL game it doesn't change the equation.

Posters on here get accused of being enamoured with new shiny things. Well the club gets enamoured with whoever shines in meaningless trainings or short term bursts of game form.

We lack a feel for underlying quality. Lack vision for the best way to develop our most talented players.

We are a great club and great culture for the good honest triers. The Lachlan Murphys of the competition will thrive here. The A Grade ceiling players...? Not so much.

It's the gold hair. Make him dye it dark and we'll see him for the player he truly is.

It has probably escaped your attention that Key Forwards take a bit longer to develop than mids etc

Pick 1 2020 Draft, Ugle-Hagen 11 games

Pick 2 2020 Draft, Thilthorpe 15 games

Pick 4 2020 Draft, McDonald 13 games

Riley had zero confidence in the two preseason games and the Freo match. I have watched him closely at SANFL games and his confidence has slowly returned. It was unfortunate that he tweaked his knee and then was hit with Covid.

If our fitness guys believe he is ready to go then I am happy to back them in.

We could go down the Melbourne route a few years ago and keep playing the Kids (hell , make them captain) until they drop out of the AFL system.

It has probably escaped your attention that Key Forwards take a bit longer to develop than mids etc

Pick 1 2020 Draft, Ugle-Hagen 11 games

Pick 2 2020 Draft, Thilthorpe 15 games

Pick 4 2020 Draft, McDonald 13 games

Riley had zero confidence in the two preseason games and the Freo match. I have watched him closely at SANFL games and his confidence has slowly returned. It was unfortunate that he tweaked his knee and then was hit with Covid.

If our fitness guys believe he is ready to go then I am happy to back them in.

We could go down the Melbourne route a few years ago and keep playing the Kids (hell , make them captain) until they drop out of the AFL system.
Talls do take longer but that doesn't mean that anything you do Years 1-4 is ok. You still have to develop them the right way.

Are we? I posit that Thilthorpe wasn't brought back earlier because Himmelberg was playing okay + we were winning. And that he's being brought back now because Himmelberg is playing poorly + we're losing.

And that we looked at the draw and saw Geelong at Kardinia next round...geez, tough game to come back for. Forget the SANFL tune up, may as well get him in now. Reactive rather than planned.

Why did you leave Luke Jackson off your little list? Oh, because we don't want to go down the Melbourne route. They gave him a taster Year 1 and he became an every game regular Year 2 onwards which seems the right way round to me. Compare that to how we've managed McAsey and Thilthorpe?

Looking at how we've developed our other tall forwards lately I'm not confident we know what we're doing.

Seeing Luke Pedlar have a great Q1 at Noalunga before fading badly, promising but clearly in need of match fitness... and us follow that up with sitting him for a week as travelling emergency prior to the SANFL bye has me equally concerned.

Do we differentiate between our JAGs and our potential blue chippers? Do we prioritse the development of the latter? Why have we developed so few A Graders recently to the point that 32 year old Tex, Sydney's Dawson and Brisbane's Keays are our best three players? Might we be doing some things wrong in terms of development/selection?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back