Preview Changes: R22 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Number of selections in the AFL team of the week...

4 - Brouch, Laird
3 - Keath, Mrouch
2 - Walker, O'Brien, Smith, Betts, Lynch
1 - Fogarty, Talia, CEY, Milera

Interestingly no Sloane.

28 selections out of 22x22=484 is 5.78% of the time

I don’t remember what the point of that was

Interesting to hear Godden say the two wont be in the ground together at the same time much.

Tells me.two things.

They have 100% faith in RoB and have brought him in even though he is still a.bit fatigued but realise Sauce is not good enough against Grundy, and any backup would get smashed as Grundy goes to a lot of contests. As does a fit RoB. If RoB was 100% Sauce would not be playing.

2 We will be one rotation short.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Or we couldn’t drop Sauce for his 200th

Would GWS prefer Jacobs or Ryder though? Both likely gettable on similar deals.

I’d go Ryder

Sauce only ends up at GWS if day Geelong were to want Ryder and beat GWS to him IMO
Feel gws talk about sauce is likely bs by his manager so we cave to give him an extra year. We will as it's what we do. Chapman will likely demand it as he is such a 'good clubman'. Expect another year and then a coaching gig to join the other freeloaders at our club. Club reckons we are getting tough this year with ageing players. Most likely Otten will be retired. That's tough in the clubs eyes.

Interesting to hear Godden say the two wont be in the ground together at the same time much.

Tells me.two things.

They have 100% faith in RoB and have brought him in even though he is still a.bit fatigued but realise Sauce is not good enough against Grundy, and any backup would get smashed as Grundy goes to a lot of contests. As does a fit RoB. If RoB was 100% Sauce would not be playing.

2 We will be one rotation short.

Interesting. I advocated the two rucks for last week vs WC, primarily to drop one in the goalsquare given WC's strong marking ability down back. Given our woeful forward entries over most of this season at least it offers a 'get out of gaol card' if we have to bomb it in long. The trick is to ensure they don't get in the way of Fog or Tex on the lead.

We are playing two rucks because we have boxed ourselves in a corner

Jenkins can chop out in the ruck but he’s out of form
So we tried Himmelberg and he’s a better ruckman but didn’t kick enough goals
We wouldn’t bring in Fog because he can’t ruck
Eventually we realise we have to and unsurprisingly he’s so good he stays in and we use Otten
Otten can’t do it long term
ROB needs a rest and Sauce needs to get to 200 at home
But ROB has to play against Grundy

So here we are

Number of selections in the AFL team of the week...

4 - Brouch, Laird
3 - Keath, Mrouch
2 - Walker, O'Brien, Smith, Betts, Lynch
1 - Fogarty, Talia, CEY, Milera

Interestingly no Sloane.

Yeah, Sloane hasnt really been good for like two and a half years now, and is a constant ball burning offender.

That his performance never really gets questioned whilst Walker gets prioritised is one of the more amusing parts of the 'your captain has to lead the way' debate.

Yeah, Sloane hasnt really been good for like two and a half years now, and is a constant ball burning offender.

That his performance never really gets questioned whilst Walker gets prioritised is one of the more amusing parts of the 'your captain has to lead the way' debate.
Yep and having your captain get towelled up by kids tagging him hardly is inspiring either

Kelly has had a very good year. I don’t get the crap you guys put on him.
I'm in the Kelly camp too. Has made some blunders this year but who hasn't? Love his mongrel.

Actually that's not fair. Prior to him being tagged he was an out and out star.

Our attitude towards tagging and taggers is a disgrace.

In saying that, I don't think he's been at his absolute best since the foot injury. He has lost most of whatever pace he had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing about the 2 rucks that I really like is the fact the we can aim to exploit an exceptionally mid sized defensive unit (Madgen is their tallest defender at 192cm).

They want to line Roughhead up at FF to provide a target, so if we have ROB/Sauce (200+), Tex (195cm), Fog (195cm) and Lynch (192cm) all in our forward 50 it will really test them vertically, especially if we play a lock-down role on Howe.

And the Adelaide Crows 'Bomb the ball high into attack at all costs' method of forward 50 play may finally get some results!

Happy with the outs but we need another 5 or 6 out as well.

How Douglas stays in - even over Atkins - is bizarre.

We have players in the reserves ready to go, it's hard to put a number on it but we would be 3 or 4 goal better side without Douglas, Betts, Hartigan, Jacobs, Gibbs & MacKay.

So much improvement can be instantly obtained, if only we would get out of the way of ourselves.

The thing about the 2 rucks that I really like is the fact the we can aim to exploit an exceptionally mid sized defensive unit (Madgen is their tallest defender at 192cm).

They want to line Roughhead up at FF to provide a target, so if we have ROB/Sauce (200+), Tex (195cm), Fog (195cm) and Lynch (192cm) all in our forward 50 it will really test them vertically, especially if we play a lock-down role on Howe.

And the Adelaide Crows 'Bomb the ball high into attack at all costs' method of forward 50 play may finally get some results!

Prepare yourself for our Land of the Giants forward line where Murphy is still the only one under the high ball in - we know it is going to happen.

Meh. Atkins is a net negative. Does a few good things a game, but also does lots of bad things and goes missing, especially in pressure matches.
Atkins has slipped through the 'omit'-net far too often. ;)

He and Mackay have been nett-negative influences for sure.
Douglas, unfortunately, is simply a negative. He was a warrior, but is just a liability now.

Last edited:
Actually that's not fair. Prior to him being tagged he was an out and out star.
Interesting debate - is he an out an out star. Of the AFC...yes absolutely. If we named an all time best AFC team, he would be in it without doubt.

Star of the Comp - not so sure. 1 x AA, 2 x club champ. Will he be inducted to the HoF for example?

I think he’s highly respected and admired throughout, I’m not sure he’s a star of the comp

Interesting debate - is he an out an out star. Of the AFC...yes absolutely. If we named an all time best AFC team, he would be in it without doubt.

Star of the Comp - not so sure. 1 x AA, 2 x club champ. Will he be inducted to the HoF for example?

I think he’s highly respected and admired throughout, I’m not sure he’s a star of the comp
Fair comments.

Or we couldn’t drop Sauce for his 200th
That is true.

But the selectors see RoB as our main Ruck.

The easy choice would be to keep playing Sauce and rest RoB. That also gets Sauce his 200th game.

Godden saying the two wont spend much time on the ground says they see RoB as the better option against Grundy, but he cant play out the whole game.

I personally think if RoB cant Ruck all game we should have gone Sauce.

Neither guy is a Ruck/KPF. And Godden has not suggested they will.do that anyway Yes Sauce has kicked goals in the SANFL, but that was against questionable backman. I saw his five game haul against Westies first game.back. he was like the fat under 13s kid pushing his smaller.opponents around to get the ball. Wont be like that tomorrow.

WCE use of two Rucks works as the second Ruck in Vardy is really a KPF/Ruck. They have altered that anyway, as we see with Oscar Allen Rucking last week.

Similarly with Brisbane. Mcinerney although more a Ruck, is capable up forward.

Playing two pure Rucks, and thus costing a rotation is a massive gamble. Our midfield is weak enough. We have taken a midfield option away for a pure Ruckman. One I will be critical of if it fails. A real example of losing the game at the selection table.

I thought we could win tomorrow. Now I cant see it happening. We have over played Grundy's importance, when other teams have beaten Collingwood with Grundy dominating.

That is true.

The easy choice would be to keep playing Sauce and rest RoB. That also gets Sauce his 200th game.

Godden saying the two wont spend much time on the ground says they see RoB as the better option against Grundy, but he cant play out the whole game.

Neither guy is a Ruck/KPF. And Godden has not suggested they will.do that anyway Yes Sauce has kicked goals in the SANFL, but that was against questionable backman. I saw his five game haul against Westies first game.back. he was like the fat under 13s kid pushing his smaller.opponents around to get the ball. Wont be like that tomorrow.

WCE use of two Rucks works as the second Ruck in Vardy is really a KPF/Ruck. They have altered that anyway, as we see with Oscar Allen Rucking last week.

Playing two pure Rucks, and thus costing a rotation is a massive gamble. Our midfield is weak enough. We have taken a midfield option away for a pure Ruckman. One I will be critical of if it fails. A real example of losing the game at the selection table.

I thought we could win tomorrow. Now I cant see it happening. We have over played Grundy's importance, when other teams have beaten Collingwood with Grundy dominating.

I actually think they played it beautifully!

I can't wait to see the result

That is true.

There has been no suggestion anywhere that ROB can’t ruck out the whole game.

As you said we see ROB as our number one ruck.

So we are playing two rucks so Jacobs can get to 200 otherwise we would have just played one ruck, but they know Jacobs couldn’t keep up with Grundy.

Well based on your views we should never have even asked for Fogarty, much less actually play him.

I would have thought given how badly wrong you were with that call, that you might have started to add just a touch of humility to your posting.

Apparently not.

I find it amusing that you and your Southern mate have appointed me the head of the anti-FOG alliance.

I am not one of the posters who have suggested that we trade The FOG. I am not the poster who said The FOG is an example of our clueless drafting. I have consistently said we need to be patient, it is extremely rare for a 19 year old key forward to be influential in the SANFL let alone the AFL.

What I did say, after observing a VICTORYLAPIAMTHEMAN display by the man from the South was that Fogarty had not demanded selection this year and has struggled both in the pre-season and in the SANFL. I can’t recall a single poster who regularly watches our Twos disputing this statement. It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t select him on spec and no one was happier than me to see him kick a bag against the Eagles.

My main criticism of our selectors is that we have been ignoring young talent who at various stages have ripped the SANFL apart (Jones, McHenry, Poholke) in order to play ordinary journeymen with little of no future at the AFC beyond this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back