Preview Changes: R22 v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
There has been no suggestion anywhere that ROB can’t ruck out the whole game.

As you said we see ROB as our number one ruck.

So we are playing two rucks so Jacobs can get to 200 otherwise we would have just played one ruck, but they know Jacobs couldn’t keep up with Grundy.
You see it that way

But I do believe RoB is fatigued. It is his first year playing full time Ruck at AFL level. I could see.hiw stuffed he was against the Saints.

Marshall is an ok Ruck. But RoB would have smashed him if not so fatigued.

Either way, selection to give Sauce 200 games or selection to at least get half a game from our best Ruck against Grundy due to his fatigue, it is a flawed selection given neither guy is a natural KPF/Ruck.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I find it amusing that you and your Southern mate have appointed me the head of the anti-FOG alliance.

I am not one of the posters who have suggested that we trade The FOG. I am not the poster who said The FOG is an example of our clueless drafting. I have consistently said we need to be patient, it is extremely rare for a 19 year old key forward to be influential in the SANFL let alone the AFL.

What I did say, after observing a VICTORYLAPIAMTHEMAN display by the man from the South was that Fogarty had not demanded selection this year and has struggled both in the pre-season and in the SANFL. I can’t recall a single poster who regularly watches our Twos disputing this statement. It doesn’t mean we shouldn’t select him on spec and no one was happier than me to see him kick a bag against the Eagles.

My main criticism of our selectors is that we have been ignoring young talent who at various stages have ripped the SANFL apart (Jones, McHenry, Poholke) in order to play ordinary journeymen with little of no future at the AFC beyond this year.
Could it be that SANFL form is overrated?

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
There has been no suggestion anywhere that ROB can’t ruck out the whole game.

As you said we see ROB as our number one ruck.

So we are playing two rucks so Jacobs can get to 200 otherwise we would have just played one ruck, but they know Jacobs couldn’t keep up with Grundy.
Godden said the two guys wont be on the ground together much.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
You see it that way

But I do believe RoB is fatigued. It is his first year playing full time Ruck at AFL level. I could see.hiw stuffed he was against the Saints.

Marshall is an ok Ruck. But RoB would have smashed him if not so fatigued.

Either way, selection to give Sauce 200 games or selection to at least get half a game from our best Ruck against Grundy due to his fatigue, it is a flawed selection given neither guy is a natural KPF/Ruck.

ROB has had a weeks rest, he would hardly be fatigued this week.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
ROB has had a weeks rest, he would hardly be fatigued this week.
Doesn't really work that way does it. A year of playing as an AFL ruck, your first full season in the big time, would take an enormous amount out of you. Also, playing on Grundy is a big challenge.

There's no doubt he can run with him, but physicality is different. Use Sauce as the sacrificial lamb and smash into him as best he can, then let ROB run over him all day.

I'll be more interested to see what we do next week. 200 outta the way, do we bother with Sauce again ??

Elite Crow

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Doesn't really work that way does it. A year of playing as an AFL ruck, your first full season in the big time, would take an enormous amount out of you. Also, playing on Grundy is a big challenge.

There's no doubt he can run with him, but physicality is different. Use Sauce as the sacrificial lamb and smash into him as best he can, then let ROB run over him all day.

I'll be more interested to see what we do next week. 200 outta the way, do we bother with Sauce again ??
It’s doesn’t work that way? Who said?

He’s effectively had a 2 week break. So how many weeks off does he need to recover?

It’s clear the only reason Jacobs is in is for the 200th. We’ve never played 2 rucks and we are prepared to play one short on the bench because of it

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Prepare yourself for our Land of the Giants forward line where Murphy is still the only one under the high ball in - we know it is going to happen.
Yep

The key to us winning will be the pack marking of Murphy and Betts and their ability to bring the ball to the ground

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Yep

The key to us winning will be the pack marking of Murphy and Betts and their ability to bring the ball to the ground

The key to us winning will be the pack marking of Murphy and Betts and their ability to bring the ball to the ground for Tex, Jenkins and Fog to crumb

Crazy like a fox!

asdCapture.PNG

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Happy with the outs but we need another 5 or 6 out as well.

How Douglas stays in - even over Atkins - is bizarre.

We have players in the reserves ready to go, it's hard to put a number on it but we would be 3 or 4 goal better side without Douglas, Betts, Hartigan, Jacobs, Gibbs & MacKay.

So much improvement can be instantly obtained, if only we would get out of the way of ourselves.
Douglas inclusion is bizarre. Offers nothing other than token efforts and numerous fallings over. Must have some spicey info on someone at the club. Don feels his falling over experience is invaluable.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Prepare yourself for our Land of the Giants forward line where Murphy is still the only one under the high ball in - we know it is going to happen.
Murphy is first picked and a team built around this behemoth. Integral.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be that SANFL form is overrated?

Yep. If you look at who has performed well in the SANFL this year it has been:

Wilson - not AFL standard
Jacobs - cooked
Douglas - cooked
Gibbs - patchy at AFL level
Poholke - can't make the step up
Stengle - has been good
Butts - hopefully he has a future

A few others have been okay

And yet only a few of that group above I'd have given any significant AFL time to

Interesting debate - is he an out an out star. Of the AFC...yes absolutely. If we named an all time best AFC team, he would be in it without doubt.

Star of the Comp - not so sure. 1 x AA, 2 x club champ. Will he be inducted to the HoF for example?

I think he’s highly respected and admired throughout, I’m not sure he’s a star of the comp

Tyson Edwards Mk 2?

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

Jacobs - cooked
Douglas - cooked
Stengle - has been good

And yet only a few of that group above I'd have given any significant AFL time to

Poholke is a harsh call. He was far from our worst against North, but then we decided he'd be the perfect first guinea pig for the in/out/in school of selection (c.f. Gibbs, Stengle). I'm not convinced he's going to make it, but after his early season form (25 and 3 goals in round 1, 25 and 3 goals in round 2, 30 and 4 goals in round 4), he deserved more than 2 single games in the AFL to try to entrench a spot.

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why do you do that? Try and put down the board by making bulls**t assertions.

You post some reasonable stuff but you also let the bulls**t get in the way.
What part was bullshit? I said various Bigfooty posters had suggested 12 of our players be dropped this week. In the first three pages of this thread the suggested changes were Jacobs (10 times), Otten (11), Douglas (15), Mackay (7), Gibbs (2), Betts (2), Lynch (7), Hartigan (9), Murphy (6), Atkins (5), Knight (6). Later a poster suggested Kelly and most thought this a bit tough.

I have not included Sloane, Walker and Milera who also had a mention due to injury. We haven’t heard from the Rabbit this week but he was up and about a couple of weeks ago.

My comments are not an indictment of this Board but rather an illustration that we have a boat load of players who are not performing well and not enough fit players in the Twos to replace them. It is impossible to satisfy all BigFooty posters this week but a couple more demotions would have been good.

FWIW the first 5 players I would have dropped were Jacobs, Otten, Atkins, Douglas and Gibbs but I wouldn’t have complained if Hartigan, Knight and Mackay were added to the list.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt

Jacobs - cooked
Douglas - cooked
Stengle - has been good

Stengle, Poholke and Butts are young, it's hard for young kids to shine at that level. Still have faith the first 2 can be quality AFL players and Butts looks superb.....

Yes I did that.

Redline

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2006
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Pyke doesn't have a great history of making tough decisions.

As others have mentioned there was no way Jacobs was going to be dropped on 199 and O'Brien has been too good to not bring straight back in. Jacobs was okay last week but people get squeezed out of sporting teams because of structure all the time.

It has nothing to do with Grundy, Pyke just doesn't have it in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back