Preview Changes: R6 2021 v Hawthorn in Tasmania

Remove this Banner Ad

playing all of fog, tex, himm, and TT is going in ridiculously tall if they are all to play forward. unless fog is gonna play more midfield minutes and/or one of them is going to swing back into defence.

TT shouldve replaced frampton and hately in for lynch. with another mid in for berry (cupboards bare though)...

guess we’ll all see how it works tomorrow..

Totally agree BC. I'm presuming Fog will play more midfield minutes, or that Himmelberg moves down back.

Has Himmelberg even been tried down back in trials/SANFL? It seems like a pretty obvious move to me since he played down back as a junior, and we are lacking talls with DT currently out. There's been a history of key forwards struggling and then being moved to CHB and succeeding. Liam Jones the latest success story.

It was always a classic coaching move swapping your CHF and CHB at half time when the CHF was struggling.

Weekend's been fulla surprises so far:
--- Frampton dropped, then kicks 7 in SANFL in BoG performance (" Frampton set the tone early by kicking three first-quarter goals and taking five contested marks before the first break. He finished with 7.3 and also accumulated 19 touches. ")
--- Thilthorpe and Hately to debut for the Crows, great stuff, I wish them well
--- Crows selectors did not pick an injured Lynch to play :oops:
--- Geelong annihilated WCE, Suns beat Sydney.

Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings ...

In fairness to Cook he is coming off a limited pee-season

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Absolutely and that is why him getting games at SANFL level this year is the right path for him in my view. Get in a big preseason and then see where things sit next year. He is one that I am certainly happy not to be rushed in too early.

Interesting changes this week. I’m not sure anyone on the planet would have correctly predicted that all 3 of those would take place.

Thilthorpe won’t spend much time inside our fwd 50 IMO. Half forward and wing will be his go. Essentially the role Lynch has been playing, as has been mentioned.

Himmelberg for Frampton is as straight a swap as you’ll ever see, and clearly needed to happen. Good on Billy for kicking 7 today against opponents 6 inches shorter than him, that’s great for his confidence. Unfortunately, he’ll never be an AFL standard forward, but it’s nice to have confident players running around at all levels.

Hately for Berry is a pretty straight swap too. Hately will likely spend a bit more time in the guts than Berry has been though, considering his superior fitness base. I don’t know how legitimate or serious the Berry ankle injury is, but hopefully we see him back in the side within the next month. He was never realistically going to play 22 games.

The issue for me is still Fogarty. I want him to succeed, but I still see absolutely no evidence that he can co-exist in an AFL side with Taylor Walker. I’d try him at half back in an interceptor role before playing him inside 50 with Walker and Himmelberg/Frampton tbh. The midfield experiment is pretty laughable and I don’t think anyone really thinks it will work.

A poster above mentioned that during a rebuild, sometimes structure has to go out the window in order to get games into your most talented youngsters though, and I fully support this so if that means sacrificing a couple of wins this season to get Fog some valuable experience, we may as well do it.

On a similar note, we simply must see a Worrell debut within the next fortnight. Even if this means “managing” Doedee, or giving Kelly or Brown a week off, I’m all for that. He has well and truly earned a debut now and is a multi-dimensional player who can play a variety of roles. Must play in Round 7 or 8.

I would’ve said the same about Pedlar debuting within the next couple of weeks, but unfortunately his last two SANFL games have been disappointing. His time should come some time in the Round 10-14 region though.

Chayce Jones is a lost cause at this point. In all seriousness, he may never play AFL footy again for us. That sounds really extreme, but if he can’t even get 15 touches in the SANFL (he clearly can’t, we even threw him to half back today and he barely got near it for 3 quarters), it means he can’t even be considered for AFL selection with all of Milera, Sloane, Crouch, Berry, Davis and Gollant injured, so what happens when they’ve all recovered? The likes of Newchurch and Pedlar are certainly showing more promise than Chayce too, not to mention Worrell, and even O’Connor is looking a far more accomplished player.

I don’t know what what possessed us to think that Chayce was a better option on draft night than the likes of Zak Butters (we were heavily into Butters too), but this is a far more disastrous outcome than the Gallucci pick. That Gallucci draft was pretty weak and that pick was later, so there was a high chance that it would be a miss. The Chayce draft was LOADED. Butters looks a 250-300 game multiple All-Australian for our arch-rivals. Chayce will be lucky to hit 50 AFL games of mediocrity.

Anyway, Crouch and Sloane should both return to the side in the next 3-5 weeks which will put serious selection heat on all of Hately, Berry (if he gets back in), Lynch (if back in), Fogarty, Schoenberg, Rowe and McHenry (and the other tall forwards not named Tex will be nervous too). It will be fascinating to see who makes way.

McAsey is showing some signs of life, so maybe he sneaks in before the bye at some point if one of Kelly, Doedee or Butts get injured or need a rest too.

I reckon the Hawks game will follow a similar pattern to the Freo game, ending in us probably losing by 10-20 points. As long as there’s promising development from the kids and no major injuries, I’m fine with that.

Based on the last couple of weeks Fogarty will play the same role he played last week. as a midfielder with the occasional rest in the Forward line.
Himmelburg will play as a tall Foward, he will not play down back,
Fogarty or RT has more of a chance to play down back than Himmelburg.
RT has a bigger tank than Himmelburg so he will play the higher Lynch type role.

They are not going to change the Backline unless they get injuries or something serious happens. We are talking about a backline that has contain teams to less than 85 points in the last 3 weeks. the only team to get away this year was Sydney when our backline lost Brown and Kelly. and replaced them with Murray and MacKay.

Berg won't be playing CHB when he hasn't played or trained in that position

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree. If we need an extra tall down back you would bring in Worrell. Worrell could play on a tall or medium sized player and will give you added offence out of the back half. I think playing Worrell down back and one less tall up forward is a better structure. You can't play all of Fogarty, Himmelberg, Thilthorpe in the same team on a regular basis. We will need to drop one of them assuming Walker is a lock.

The plan seems to be to play Thilthorpe on a wing but I'm not sure if he's a wingman. I think Walker, Thilthorpe and one of Himmelberg or Fogarty is their preferred structure as long as Thilthorpe can hold his spot. I presume he will as the objective is to get games into him in a better structure than sanfl.

Will be interesting what they do with Talia when he is fit. They want to get games into Butts so it should be interesting how they configure it.

Last edited:
--- Frampton dropped, then kicks 7 in SANFL in BoG performance (" Frampton set the tone early by kicking three first-quarter goals and taking five contested marks before the first break. He finished with 7.3 and also accumulated 19 touches. ")

Considering the other 3 emergencies played today it looks as though Lynch will be the sub

Melbourne destroyed Richmond as well.
Injuries out of control in the league this year. Games are way too long.

Last edited:
Will this be another game where we bomb the ball into Hawthorn backlines and they run it out easily. I hope Nicks doesn't go anywhere the Pyke style plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

its all well and good for those here to be squealing about Freo and the doggies making wholesale changes even after they have won.. but thats completely ignoring the fact that those teams have had guys in the seconds actually showing something and pushing for selection.

about the only lad we have had pushing for a spot is Worrell and he shouldve been given a run weeks ago when brown and kelly were both out.

Thilthorpe and himmelberg simply havent been good enough for a call up.

Hately hasnt exactly been lighting it up but looks likely to get a call up due to berry‘s misfortune

pedlar and cook have shown promise but clearly arent match fit and ready to run out a full game yet..

seriously, sure, you make changes to a winning side if you have blokes in the winning side not performing and blokes in your seconds deserving a call up.. you dont if the players in your seconds are dishing up dogshit or clearly not match fit.

the hysterics in here over himmelberg not getting his spot back from frampton have gone beyond ridiculous.. himmelberg had his first decent game last weekend... before that he was barely worthy of holding his spot in the sanfl side..

a few of the posters in here are pointing at the dogs and freo making changes and melting down over it like we have half a dozen players in the sanfl having blinders each week!.. if you'd actually watched the sanfl games you see that this is definately not the case.
RT is a pick 2 gun .. he gets played before over and against any under performing player on the list.
Done.

Exciting to see Thilthorpe debut. I reckon they’ll put him in Lynch’s spot and give him free reign to run around. Forget he’s 200cm and stereotype him as a key position - let him grow in to that and in the meantime let him use his mobility to see what he has to offer. Tex and Himmelberg to do the heavy lifting. Fogarty play the same role.

Why is everyone saying we’ve gone too tall? Haven’t we replaced like for like?

Berg for Billy
RT for Lynch - taller yes but also super mobile
Hately for Berry

Fog to again play some midfield minutes
Not playing all four talls inside the F50 at the same time - as we haven’t done in previous weeks, instead rotating them

What am I missing?

Why is everyone saying we’ve gone too tall? Haven’t we replaced like for like?

Berg for Billy
RT for Lynch - taller yes but also super mobile
Hately for Berry

Fog to again play some midfield minutes
Not playing all four talls inside the F50 at the same time - as we haven’t done in previous weeks, instead rotating them

What am I missing?
RT is not a wingman, which is basically what Lynch is these days. He likely will push up the ground during his career, but he's a forward first and foremost

I think having them all in the team will work, particularly against the inexperience of the Hawks' defence, but there'll need to be some heavy rotations, including Himmelberg to CHB

RT is not a wingman, which is basically what Lynch is these days. He likely will push up the ground during his career, but he's a forward first and foremost

I think having them all in the team will work, particularly against the inexperience of the Hawks' defence, but there'll need to be some heavy rotations, including Himmelberg to CHB

Fair enough, although RT has been playing on the wing at times I think?

Will be interesting to see how they manage it. Just hope he shows a bit and Berg shows some of his late 2020 form

Take aside Jiath, the Hawks defence is actually pretty experienced: Hardwick, Frost, Hartigan, Impey + Burgoyne often in there.

Tomorrow's Teams...
CROWS Avg Age 23.4, Avg Gms 57.8
HAWKS Avg Age 25.5, Avg Gms 106.6

Let's hope youthful exuberance wins the day!

Take aside Jiath, the Hawks defence is actually pretty experienced: Hardwick, Frost, Hartigan, Impey + Burgoyne often in there.

Tomorrow's Teams...

Fair. Just seems like they're relying on younger players compared to us, as well as the average Hartigan/Frost

I think part of the problem is they don't want Thilthorpe rucking, which eliminates the Frampton for Thilthorpe straight swap and forces them to bring in Himmelberg to play those backup ruck minutes. Individually that may still work, but adding Fogarty on top does unbalance it a fair bit.

Tomorrow's Teams...

We have the legs to run over the top of them.

1619274982208.png

Its unfortunate we are missing Sloane and Mrouch, both of them last week would have helped us win IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back