Preview Changes Rd 8 vs Port Power

May 19, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Farrell is junk 99% of the time

Unfortunately that 1% is reserved for one quarter Showdown cameos, like his 3 goals in a quarter vs D Mac that time

Haha, only on David Mackay could that happen. Thank god David MacKay isn't named at half back...and Kane Farrell won't be rotating forward this time.....

Maddogmetro

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
The problem here is that Mackay came in for Brown. Ok, fine, accept that decision. But then Brown is back, which means he should be straight out. How is he still in the side? He should be a break glass option only, and be the perpetual sub.

This selection just baffles.

I think selectors are concerned about it being a showdown. I'll bet that there is a raft of changes bringing in youth from next week.

The problem here is that Mackay came in for Brown. Ok, fine, accept that decision. But then Brown is back, which means he should be straight out. How is he still in the side? He should be a break glass option only, and be the perpetual sub.

This selection just baffles.

I think selectors are concerned about it being a showdown. I'll bet that there is a raft of changes bringing in youth from next week.
There won't be. Mackay is, has been and always will be a best 22 player

Aug 21, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
HUh?

It looks pretty clear with him reportedly doing a big pre-season that the plan was to eventually get him into the midfield whether he makes it there I'm not sure but everything points to that being a pretty obvious plan at this point in time.

Previously that was not an option with his suspect endurance.
From what I can remember, he trained with the forwards all pre season and started games as a forward. His shift into the midfield seems rushed to me. Not that I don't like the move, I just think they've planned his development poorly.

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
From what I can remember, he trained with the forwards all pre season and started games as a forward. His shift into the midfield seems rushed to me. Not that I don't like the move, I just think they've planned his development poorly.
In a world we're football has become too structured and too planned I don't mind it when we see a coach pivot on a plan because it might add something to the team

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
I'll bet that there is a raft of changes bringing in youth from next week.

No, Bringing in experience. After we lose the kids will blamed.

imagine if we’d brought these kids on gradually, we might be transitioning nicely...

I still say sell Lynch, move Walker to the wing, tall forwards are TT and Fog

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Picked Mcpherson out 2 weeks ago .....along with Hamill, and ROB

Hamill gets another go .....ROB must be thankfull there's no alternatives
Hately was just too obvious .....Mackay the great survivor :)

1620385806809.png

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
There'll be tears at the selection table next week

We'll lose badly on Saturday then look around and realise there are no more experienced players we can bring in.

Edit - Forgot Talia! High fives all round

MrBarry

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Manchester City
There'll be tears at the selection table next week

We'll lose badly on Saturday then look around and realise there are no more experienced players we can bring in.

Edit - Forgot Talia! High fives all round

Fog out Hatley in!!!

It's the Adelaide way, they love a good shuffle of the deckchairs.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
The development attitude mostly looks to be once we bring a guy into the 22 we look to keep them there and won't select them until we're sure they will be.
This applies to who exactly ?

Surely you'd agree McAsey needed to build his game and confidence in the reserves .....Pedlars always returning from injury ....fact is, everyone who's deserved a game has been played

Do you want Thilthorpe playing Lynch's role or Worrell

We're 7 games into a season .....the development / team selection is going very nicely

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
So many people are pissy, not sure why. Hately needs to get some aggression into his game, built like tarzan and playing on the outside waiting for the ball too much. Macpherson and McAdam have been terrible. Mackay was actually pretty good last game but everyone likes to whip him. Rowe is very lucky.

We might find Himmelberg playing in defense tomorrow which is a good idea and rolling FOG through the middle and forward has to remain.

I like the changes although the move I would have made is Himmelberg out and Worrell in, but all others are fine
This weeks changes were obvious and appropriate .....couldn't understand Rowe surviving, but if you're committed to giving McAdam a kick up the bum, you couldn't drop both .....and who are the small fwds to replace them with ?

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
This applies to who exactly ?

Surely you'd agree McAsey needed to build his game and confidence in the reserves .....Pedlars always returning from injury ....fact is, everyone who's deserved a game has been played

Do you want Thilthorpe playing Lynch's role or Worrell

We're 7 games into a season .....the development / team selection is going very nicely
I'm not sure why you think I'm having a go at selection/development, but McAsey and Jones are the perfect example of what they don't want happening. They got a good string of games, weren't that great and now likely won't be considered again until they know they can contribute consistently and they can keep them in for a long stretch, not yo-yo in and out due to poor form. Nicks could have come in last year and played Sholl, Hamill, Schoenberg right off the bat, but didn't select them until they had enough consistency through their training they felt comfortable they'd hold up, same with Thilthorpe, though I think that was more physical than performance wise.

The issue I have with Worrell is that I think he can be in that group that can play and contribute consistently and he should he one they prioritise in getting games into, even if it's to replace someone who has held up ok like Kelly, but they're being hesitant with him for whatever reason. I'm certainly not a play the kids and feed them to wolves type, by Worrell is an odd outlier to what we've been doing with the others.

Defender Fog was 2019 and that was just a Pyke desperation move due to injuries leaving us completely bare for defenders. There was never any intention of trying to "turn" him into a defender, he was just put there cause he was the last tall bloke we had healthy.

I actually think this is the first time we have given Fog a plan to try and develop him into a more well rounded player, rather than just plonking him forward cause he played there as a junior. He went back to the SANFL last week to work on some things and get more reps into his midfield training, which at least at SANFL level showed some improvement.

If we had of done this 2 years ago with him he'd be well advanced and we'd know for sure what he's capable of, but it's too late to change that now.

That and we locked up everyone Fog could replace in the forward line to long, and expensive contracts.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I'm not sure why you think I'm having a go at selection/development, but McAsey and Jones are the perfect example of what they don't want happening. They got a good string of games, weren't that great and now likely won't be considered again until they know they can contribute consistently and they can keep them in for a long stretch, not yo-yo in and out due to poor form. Nicks could have come in last year and played Sholl, Hamill, Schoenberg right off the bat, but didn't select them until they had enough consistency through their training they felt comfortable they'd hold up, same with Thilthorpe, though I think that was more physical than performance wise.

The issue I have with Worrell is that I think he can be in that group that can play and contribute consistently and he should he one they prioritise in getting games into, even if it's to replace someone who has held up ok like Kelly, but they're being hesitant with him for whatever reason. I'm certainly not a play the kids and feed them to wolves type, by Worrell is an odd outlier to what we've been doing with the others.
So what role should Worrell play ? ......isn't it going to rain during the Showdown ?

Back