Preview Changes v Hawthorn - Marvel Stadium, Sun 21 April 4:00pm

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d rather rest Duursma et al v the very best teams than those we’re at a similar level to, like Hawthorn. He’d be itching to play against a lesser defense and opponent after his harrowing first five weeks and I hope this is his breakout game.

While we have players under performing, I think it's system based. Our players look hesitant, confused and always out of position. We are so easy to play against. Now they all look down in confidence except Sheezel.

Our defensive structure is woeful and our contest set up is just as bad. We play as individuals and not as a team. This is what frustrates me the most not individual performances.

I'm unsure what Clarko is trying to set up and if it does not improve then it won't matter who we pick, it won't make any difference.
It's not a surprise that our defensive structure is struggling. Consensus wisdom tells us that a back 6 needs 50 games playing together to form a cohesive unit. Our back 6 that ran out on the weekend had exactly 0 games playing together as of the first siren.

K. Dawson is a big loss. He's been good since returning to the 1's.

Bring in Archer to give us some hardness in the backline with Chom.

IN: Archer, WillPhill, Zurhaar

OUT: anyone but the kids.
Good in’s except for Archer (can’t kick ) every thing ok he does is negated by a bad kick or blatant turnover. Often than not resulting in an opposition goal.

Give Sellers another run or two next to Larkey & let Duursma get some footy in the VFL.

OUT Greenwood & Duursma

IN Phillips & Zurhaar

Corr should have been out, but we just don’t have any ******* defenders to come in.
ZERO tackles in a month. Disgusting.

Archer?
Brayden George?

I’d rather rest Duursma et al v the very best teams than those we’re at a similar level to, like Hawthorn. He’d be itching to play against a lesser defense and opponent after his harrowing first five weeks and I hope this is his breakout game.
100%. I wouldn't be resting any of our young players this week. After weeks of slogging it out against some of the heavy weights it'd be good for these guys to get a run against a team somewhere close to our level.

Good in’s except for Archer (can’t kick ) every thing ok he does is negated by a bad kick or blatant turnover. Often than not resulting in an opposition goal.
I just want to see an opposition forward earn a kick for once, at least Archer will act as a suppository for Breust or another one of their Kerridge prospects..

Irrelevant that he "can't kick". He can bloody well defend and he'll give everything for the jumper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that someone wrote into the new episode of Shinboner Podcast and said that they ran into Glenn Archer the other day and he divulged that Jackson will be spending another week in the VFL. Not expecting a call-up but hopefully he's not far off.

Kerch good for Sunday

Just 1 change for mine with wilphil in for scott

Then zurhaar if ready in for 1 of laz/greenwood/Drury

And 1 of those that stay being sub also

So basically our only defensive runner in the team and you want to drop him. Hilarious!

Is there something in teams upping the onfield pressure when they play us or am I just wearing Roo goggles?

I feel like we never get a team on their odd day off.

Is there extra motivation bc they don't want to lose against North (i.e. a bottom / bad side) or am i reading too much into it?

NORTH MELBOURNE v HAWTHORN

Sunday April 21, 4:05pm at Marvel Stadium

North Melbourne’s Round 5 side

B: C. Comben, A. Corr, B. Nyuon

HB: H. Sheezel, L. McDonald, G. Wardlaw

C: D. Tucker, L. Davies-Uniacke, B. Scott

HF: Z. Duursma, T. Powell, E. Ford

F: P. Curtis, N. Larkey, T. Sellers

FOLL: T. Xerri, D. Stephens, J. Simpkin

I/C: Z. Fisher, C. McKercher, B. Drury, H. Greenwood, C. Lazzaro

EMG: W. Phillips, J. Archer, R. Hansen Jnr

Team Tips: Despite suffering a rib injury that caused him to get subbed out against Geelong, top draftee Coly McKercher is set to be reintegrated into full training later this week and is expected to be available for selection. The news isn’t as good for Kallan Dawson, who’s set to miss another two to three weeks after rolling his ankle at training last Friday.Elsewhere,forward Cam Zurhaar could return from a calf niggle in what looms as a massive opportunity to secure the club’s first win of 2024 this weekend. Will Phillips (21 touches, 12 tackles) played reasonable in the reserves. And could Alastair Clarkson blood another debutant in Brayden George? Tyler Sellers had just one kick on debut, while Hugh Greenwood could only muster five touches.

Hawthorn’s Round 5 side

B: M. D’Ambrosio, S. Frost, J. Sicily

HB: J. Scrimshaw, J. Impey, B. Hardwick

C: K. Amon, J. Ward, C. Nash

HF: M. Ramsden, C. Mackenzie, S. Mitchell

F: J. Ginnivan, M. Chol, F. Maginness

FOLL: L. Meek, J. Worpel, D. Moore

I/C: J. Weddle, J. Newcombe, C. Macdonald, S. Butler, H. Hustwaite

EMG: N. Reeves, H. Morrison, J. Serong

Team Tips: Watch for Sam Mitchell to swing the axe in a big way at selection this week. There were far too many passengers in the horror loss to the Suns. Unfortunately Luke Breust will miss another two weeks while Ned Reeves has entered the concussion protocols. Changkuoth Jiath will return from his complicated hamstring issue via the VFL. Veteran star Jack Gunston could return, while the Hawks will be hoping Mitch Lewis can overcome a hamstring/knee issue. Utility Harry Morrison, the uncapped Josh Bennetts and defender Jai Serong could be called upon to change things up. Only one Hawk had 20+ disposals against the Suns, so no one is safe this week. Sam Butler, Conor Nash, Max Ramsden, Josh Ward and Connor Macdonald are in the firing line

Is there something in teams upping the onfield pressure when they play us or am I just wearing Roo goggles?

Is there extra motivation bc they don't want to lose against North (i.e. a bottom / bad side) or am i reading too much into it?
Nope. We just turn the ball over indiscriminately and fumble. No one has to up their game against us, it would be a futile expense of energy if they did.

100%. I wouldn't be resting any of our young players this week. After weeks of slogging it out against some of the heavy weights it'd be good for these guys to get a run against a team somewhere close to our level.

If we lose this game, oh dear

It will really solidify that we are so ******* s**t and the confidence will be ruined

There has to be a statement made in this one. I know its only one game but with all the s**t that's gone on with hawks, can the boys pay some respect to Clarko and ******* win for him at least?!

This game will show us where we actually are, and tbh I am nervous

Wouldn't say I've noticed necessarily but I would suggest it has less to do with not wanting to lose and more to do with the blueprint being that as a young team with some skill and talent the way to deal with us is to break us and do it early rather than keeping us in the game where we might actually be dangerous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back