Preview Changes v Tiggers - Round 7 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be the definition of insanity to bring JUH in against a hardened Tigers defence.

He would get chewed up and spat out.
Agree. I remember Jack Watts debut against a hardened pies. They went after him as no 1 pick...target on back....not sure he ever recovered.
Risk reward the risk is too great imo. And are his tank, and ftness levels up to the challenge and intensity of the tiges yet.
Not seeing it quite yet.
I'd go for Schache on the bigger ground at this stage of the season.

If McNeil needs resting, Wallis in.

Sweet v Schache is an interesting one, but I think English’s most valuable role is “mobile key forward who can chop out in the ruck” and Schache can take that role.
Schache for English is a good swap, playing the forward role, he is no softer than English

I’d actually be surprised if there was no fracture with English, it was a pretty flush hit. Fingers crossed there isn’t.

Schache the logical replacement, Sweet is too similar to Martin to play them both.

Let’s just hope Dunkley can have a speedy recovery like his last shoulder. He’s a massive out. Time to play Smith back on the inside, he isn’t working in hid current role.

Outs:
Dunkley (injured)
English (concussion)
Jong (injured)

Ins:
West
Schache
Lipinski

Scott and VDM both should be looked at to come out they just don’t have any impact atm at least McNeil is hitting the scoreboard
I'd even be looking at Wally over Scott/VDM, when Wally and Monica were thrown into the middle in the magoos they broke the game apart.
Another hard body to throw into the middle against the tigers plus it's can kick a goal.

Replacing Dunkley cannot/should not be as simple as just picking the next best midfielder from the reserves. Lipinski is not even half as effective as Dunkley defensively, and we have to replace those defensive qualities as best we can if we want to avoid breaking the midfield dynamic that's worked so well for us all year.

For me, either Wallis or West are the natural replacements for Dunkley in midfield, nobody else. Wallis has had his struggles in the forward line lately, but he was moved into the middle for the second half against GWS in the VFL and was top notch.
To be fair 95% of our list would not be half effective as Dunks defensively, Lipinski can win the conetested ball and has great vision and skill, equal to Bont and Treloar and better than everyone else. He works back defensively, I have watched him closely this season and he applies pressure but this is not his one wood and yes he would behind a lot. is best 22.

I guess I'll be the first to say it. Whilst Dunkley is a loss I have been a little annoyed recently with his slow and at times dumb decision making by foot and his inability to kick more than 40 meters.

I just hope the MC chooses to bring in West who has a much better kicking action and is just as hard. Think it will help our ball use immensely. I think he deserves a block of games until Dunkley is back or McLean is ready.

I guess I'll be the first to say it. Whilst Dunkley is a loss I have been a little annoyed recently with his slow and at times dumb decision making by foot and his inability to kick more than 40 meters.

I just hope the MC chooses to bring in West who has a much better kicking action and is just as hard. Think it will help our ball use immensely. I think he deserves a block of games until Dunkley is back or McLean is ready.
Pretty stiff on dunks here he's been the best 2 way mid in the comp. It's a massive loss and really hoping for some good news this morning. The reason we have been so dominant is because libba and him ar the source allow our game to flow

Pretty stiff on dunks here he's been the best 2 way mid in the comp. It's a massive loss and really hoping for some good news this morning. The reason we have been so dominant is because libba and him ar the source allow our game to flow
Yeah it is stiff and he's been very good don't get me wrong but I feel like we might actually get a better balance through him being out for a bit.
I guess we'll see but I think we need to prepare for life without him anyway. Seems an injury waiting to happen most years and I still think the Bombers are a good chance to land him at the end of the year.

Lipi, West and Garcia got the most mentions during the press conference.

Need to replace English with a tall forward though. If Bruce rucks our 3 headed monster just becomes Naughton.

I would hate for you to be marking my exam papers. Dunks has been out of this world this year. He is one of the main reasons for our hot start this year.

I would hate for you to be marking my exam papers. Dunks has been out of this world this year. He is one of the main reasons for our hot start this year.
Out of this world defensively and on the inside yes. But his decision-making by foot has been poor and costly. I was actively willing the ball not to be in his hands last night.

You seem to be ruling out Lipinski despite his vfl game. If you’re saying he should never play inside mid at afl level we may as well get rid now as it’s his best position. VFL and training performances are all we can go on and he’s ticked the vfl box.
We have many ways to pivot. Without even looking at form and just injuries:
English - Schache, Wallis, Sweet or even go smaller with a Hannan or Weightman.
Dunks- West, Wallis, Lipinski, Garcia, or a Butler type and move Baz in to the centre

Jong - Wallis, West, Garcia, Hannan, Weightman.
Then we have the form of VDM, Scott, JJ, Cordy to address.
Cordy at the G worries me.
Comprehension levels - concerning.

Replacing Dunkley cannot/should not be as simple as just picking the next best midfielder from the reserves. Lipinski is not even half as effective as Dunkley defensively, and we have to replace those defensive qualities as best we can if we want to avoid breaking the midfield dynamic that's worked so well for us all year.

For me, either Wallis or West are the natural replacements for Dunkley in midfield, nobody else. Wallis has had his struggles in the forward line lately, but he was moved into the middle for the second half against GWS in the VFL and was top notch.

Schache will probably come in for English, but I dread the prospect of seeing him in the ruck.

Scott HAS to go for either Lipinski or West. Beveridge obviously loves his battlers that remind him of himself as a player, but this is a joke now. Fumbled all night and isn't damaging with ball in hand.

There is a difference between playing 'inside mid' and replacing Dunkley specifically. Filling Dunkley's role in the team entails more than just "playing inside mid".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair 95% of our list would not be half effective as Dunks defensively, Lipinski can win the conetested ball and has great vision and skill, equal to Bont and Treloar and better than everyone else. He works back defensively, I have watched him closely this season and he applies pressure but this is not his one wood and yes he would behind a lot. is best 22.
I am not doubting Lipinski's ability as a player at all. I really like him. That being said, I would prefer Wallis or West come in to replace Dunkley specifically. The problem with replacing Dunkley with Lipinski directly is it means someone has to take on added defensive responsibility (like maybe Treloar), which potentially hurts the midfield dynamic that's worked so well this year.

If it were Macrae or Bontempelli injured, Lipinski is the no-brainer replacement.

Don’t really get the calls for sweet to come in. He did look good v Gold Coast but he’s a Martin replacement not an English replacement.

Martin would be currently playing about 65-70% ruck, 15-20% bench, 10-15% forward.

English would be currently 30-35% ruck, 10-15% bench, 55-60% forward.

If we go with sweet and do a 40-60 split in the ruck they have to combine for at least 70% time in the forward line otherwise it would affect rotations of other players.

I like sweet but he’s not an English replacement. Schache or JUH have to be the in for English this week.

We cannot play JUH this week it would be madness. Hes not ready. Would send a very poor message to some of the other boys as Schache has been in great form and has been stiff not to be in the 1s all year given his pre season. He looks bigger, fitter and ready to go. Really looking forward to seeing him in the 1s and I think he will play well.

Ins: Schache, Garcia/Cavarra, West, Lipinski

Out: Timmy (injured), Laith (injured), Dunks (injured), Jong (injured)

If we blood anyone on Friday night it will be Garcia

After listening to Bevo’s brief and press conference and reflecting back on the game I would make the following changes.

Out:
Dunkley - injured
English - injured
VDM - injured
Jong - injured

In:
Lipinski - played too well not to come in
Schache - is performing better than JUH who isn’t quite ready, has also been chopping out in the ruck in the VFL
West - 25 and 3 in the VFL, brings pressure deserves a crack
McNiel - think he showed much more last night when coming on as sub can play the VDM role.

B: wood keath duryea
HB: Dale Cordy Crozier
C : Hunter Libba Smith
HF: JJ Naughton West
F: McNiel Bruce Schache
R: Martin Bont Macrae
Int: Treloar Daniel Lipinski Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Back