Preview Changes vs Foot/Dalgleish/Williamson (weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Turner was useless in defence on Ablett against Geelong.
If we are using Ablett as the yardstick you'd have to delist 99% of the small defenders and midfielders in the league.

Turner wasn't manning Ablett for the entire match. The marking contest between Turner and Ablett provided a perfect example of exactly how you are supposed to defend and the ability of ablett - Turner went to spoil and used his body to impact the contest. Ablett is just too strong in the core and he also used his backside to create space between the ball and his opponent. Turner would be an excellent defender and fill a much needed hole in our defence.

JMac should never play again and the number 34 jumper should be torched.
I'd like to see Wright come in for McMillan. Has had 30 and 25 touches 2 weeks in a row
Larkey had palpitations because of the umpiring.

I had heart pulpitations and sudden onset Tourettes, because of the umpires.

Out: Hrovat, McMillan
In: Hosie, Wright

believe those two guys in their respective positions are carrying the best VFL form. Like to see LDU come in as well but not sure for who and not often we make 3 unforced selection changes unless someone is injured, or needs "resting".

If we are using Ablett as the yardstick you'd have to delist 99% of the small defenders and midfielders in the league.

Turner wasn't manning Ablett for the entire match. The marking contest between Turner and Ablett provided a perfect example of exactly how you are supposed to defend and the ability of ablett - Turner went to spoil and used his body to impact the contest. Ablett is just too strong in the core and he also used his backside to create space between the ball and his opponent. Turner would be an excellent defender and fill a much needed hole in our defence.

I am more referring to the fact that Turner, when he was on Ablett, was unaccountable letting Ablett run around doing as he pleased and got caught out ball watching and getting sucked into the contest rather than staying accountable to his man. Ablett kicked two goals in very quick time because Turner doesn't know how to play as a defender, he has no defensive craft.
Turner might end up being a decent defender but he needs to go back down and learn how to play the role. He has been played exclusively as a small forward by Scott and is now a bit without a position.

I am more referring to the fact that Turner, when he was on Ablett, was unaccountable letting Ablett run around doing as he pleased and got caught out ball watching and getting sucked into the contest rather than staying accountable to his man. Ablett kicked two goals in very quick time because Turner doesn't know how to play as a defender, he has no defensive craft.
Turner might end up being a decent defender but he needs to go back down and learn how to play the role. He has been played exclusively as a small forward by Scott and is now a bit without a position.

I saw it exactly how Rick18 did. I agree Turner needs to learn more but with the season done I think he should spend the rest of 2019 down there. In the pre-season he can work with the defenders. Last year when he went down back in the last quarter against Brisbane he basically saved us the game with his will to win and desperation. He tackles well, decent speed, and underrated with the ball. He doesn't need to be a great user because Marley isn't and we tend to opt for safety coming out of defense.

We just can't have a 12 possession forward that has averaged 0.7, 0.4, and 1.1 goals per game in his past 3 seasons. Against the magpies he kicked 2 goals and it's more of a shock than anything. We can't have a forward that shocks us when they kick a goal. At least with Taylor, Hosie, Garner, Zurhaar, and Thomas there is more upside there. With Turner and Hrovat what you see is what you get and they aren't those sorts of forwards that can help take to you the top. There is still the unknown with Wilkinson and Walker too. Not to mention we'd probably start push Higgins forward once he gets older with the hope of others stepping up in the midfield.

I saw it exactly how Rick18 did. I agree Turner needs to learn more but with the season done I think he should spend the rest of 2019 down there. In the pre-season he can work with the defenders. Last year when he went down back in the last quarter against Brisbane he basically saved us the game with his will to win and desperation. He tackles well, decent speed, and underrated with the ball. He doesn't need to be a great user because Marley isn't and we tend to opt for safety coming out of defense.

We just can't have a 12 possession forward that has averaged 0.7, 0.4, and 1.1 goals per game in his past 3 seasons. Against the magpies he kicked 2 goals and it's more of a shock than anything. We can't have a forward that shocks us when they kick a goal. At least with Taylor, Hosie, Garner, Zurhaar, and Thomas there is more upside there. With Turner and Hrovat what you see is what you get and they aren't those sorts of forwards that can help take to you the top. There is still the unknown with Wilkinson and Walker too. Not to mention we'd probably start push Higgins forward once he gets older with the hope of others stepping up in the midfield.

I agree with you about his role in the forward line. Even his tackling is not consistently there. Sure he nails the odd really good one but it is not as though he consistently nails one per quarter in the forward 50.

I think Rick 18 is being exceedingly generous in his analysis. Those middle two goals were a direct result of Turner not being accountable to his man. The last goal also highlights a concern I have about Turner in the backline. He is very small and the risk of him being exposed in the air is high. There may not be regular match-ups for him as a backman each week.

Of all our players I kind of think he is the one that is cut the most slack by the Big Footy crowd. His output is never great but he doesn't seem to cop anywhere near the scrutiny of the regular whipping boys like JMac, Hrovat, LMac etc. I would put that down to attitude in that he does seem to have a red hot crack at it, just doesn't contribute that much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with you about his role in the forward line. Even his tackling is not consistently there. Sure he nails the odd really good one but it is not as though he consistently nails one per quarter in the forward 50.

I think Rick 18 is being exceedingly generous in his analysis. Those middle two goals were a direct result of Turner not being accountable to his man. The last goal also highlights a concern I have about Turner in the backline. He is very small and the risk of him being exposed in the air is high. There may not be regular match-ups for him as a backman each week.

Of all our players I kind of think he is the one that is cut the most slack by the Big Footy crowd. His output is never great but he doesn't seem to cop anywhere near the scrutiny of the regular whipping boys like JMac, Hrovat, LMac etc. I would put that down to attitude in that he does seem to have a red hot crack at it, just doesn't contribute that much.
I agree with the tackling.

I think the 2nd goal was a bit slack. The 3rd wasn't his fault. He tried to impact the contest (and did) and no one helped to cover his man - not to mention it was a freak goal. The 4th isn't a concern imo. He'd do the same to marley. That's the type of contest that could only be impacted by someone taller like Pittard, Thompson, or Tarrant. The reality is he'd be getting the 2nd best small (Marley getting the first) and those types aren't that great in air. We have enough flexibility to get the right matchup between him, Marley, Pittard, and Thompson. For example - Brisbane: Marley gets Cameron and Turner gets Christensen. That's far better than JMac getting that matchup. For 2 years the other small that doesn't get Marley has gotten off the chain. I have PTSD watching Ronke run loose while Marley mans papley.

Other teams:
Geelong: Marley - Dahlhaus. Turner - Miers
Adelaide: Marley - Betts. Turner - Murphy
Dons: Marley - Fantasia. Turner - ATW
Tigers: Marley - Rioli. Turner - Bolton or one of the other 50 smalls
Port: Marley - Gray/Rozzee. Turner - Sam Gray or the other
Suns: who gives a *. they are s**t
Blues: Marley: Gibbons. Turner: Fisher
Pies: Elliot is like Ablett in that he is strong in the air so you'd probably opt for a EVW/Thompson type. Same with De Goey. Marley and Turner would get the Daicos/Kennedy/Stephenson types
Swans: Heeney like Elliot gets the EVW/Thompson matchup. Marley - Papley. Turner - other small
Lions: Marley - Cameron. Christensen - Turner
Hawks: Marley - Breust. Turner - Puopolo
West Coast - Marley - Ryan. Turner - Rioli
Demons - any one of those s**t trucks like Neil-Bullen or Harmes that = * all.
Saints: eh. Seem to have a few smalls. You'd give Marley - Gresham. Turner - Lonie
Dogs: As above. Marley gets the best at the time: Lloyd or Smith and Turner gets the other. Don't care enough to watch the dogs play.

The way I see our future defensive unit =
  • Talls: Tarrant, Durdin (McKay to take Tarrant's spot in the future)
  • Smalls: Marley (26), Turner (23). Wright moved on. JMac finds a new spot or moves on. Atley and Pittard options - rate both highly as defenders)
  • Versatile (tall/small options): EVW, Thompson. I thought Watson might go down this route but it appears as though he is done.
  • X-Factor/third tall option: Daw
  • Future: Murphy. See him as a Pittard replacement in the future.
I think we are in a pretty good position and I like our flexibility. I only see JMac as being necassary when he has done specific jobs like those against Lynch (ade) and Gunston. Otherwise no. I always knew Durdin need a good run and if he got it he would make it. McKay needs that same patience. I think a future of Durdin and McKay gives us what we have now with Tarrant and Thompson (1 brute that can take the big forwards and another that can take talls but of a different type).

I agree with the tackling.

I think the 2nd goal was a bit slack. The 3rd wasn't his fault. He tried to impact the contest (and did) and no one helped to cover his man - not to mention it was a freak goal. The 4th isn't a concern imo. He'd do the same to marley. That's the type of contest that could only be impacted by someone taller like Pittard, Thompson, or Tarrant. The reality is he'd be getting the 2nd best small (Marley getting the first) and those types aren't that great in air. We have enough flexibility to get the right matchup between him, Marley, Pittard, and Thompson. For example - Brisbane: Marley gets Cameron and Turner gets Christensen. That's far better than JMac getting that matchup. For 2 years the other small that doesn't get Marley has gotten off the chain. I have PTSD watching Ronke run loose while Marley mans papley.

Other teams:
Geelong: Marley - Dahlhaus. Turner - Miers
Adelaide: Marley - Betts. Turner - Murphy
Dons: Marley - Fantasia. Turner - ATW
Tigers: Marley - Rioli. Turner - Bolton or one of the other 50 smalls
Port: Marley - Gray/Rozzee. Turner - Sam Gray or the other
Suns: who gives a fu**. they are s**t
Blues: Marley: Gibbons. Turner: Fisher
Pies: Elliot is like Ablett in that he is strong in the air so you'd probably opt for a EVW/Thompson type. Same with De Goey. Marley and Turner would get the Daicos/Kennedy/Stephenson types
Swans: Heeney like Elliot gets the EVW/Thompson matchup. Marley - Papley. Turner - other small
Lions: Marley - Cameron. Christensen - Turner
Hawks: Marley - Breust. Turner - Puopolo
West Coast - Marley - Ryan. Turner - Rioli
Demons - any one of those s**t trucks like Neil-Bullen or Harmes that = fu** all.
Saints: eh. Seem to have a few smalls. You'd give Marley - Gresham. Turner - Lonie
Dogs: As above. Marley gets the best at the time: Lloyd or Smith and Turner gets the other. Don't care enough to watch the dogs play.

The way I see our future defensive unit =
  • Talls: Tarrant, Durdin (McKay to take Tarrant's spot in the future)
  • Smalls: Marley (26), Turner (23). Wright moved on. JMac finds a new spot or moves on. Atley and Pittard options - rate both highly as defenders)
  • Versatile (tall/small options): EVW, Thompson. I thought Watson might go down this route but it appears as though he is done.
  • X-Factor/third tall option: Daw
  • Future: Murphy. See him as a Pittard replacement in the future.
I think we are in a pretty good position and I like our flexibility. I only see JMac as being necassary when he has done specific jobs like those against Lynch (ade) and Gunston. Otherwise no. I always knew Durdin need a good run and if he got it he would make it. McKay needs that same patience. I think a future of Durdin and McKay gives us what we have now with Tarrant and Thompson (1 brute that can take the big forwards and another that can take talls but of a different type).

Thanks for the detailed repsonse.

It would be great to see EVW get a run at things. You haven't mentioned LMacat all? Do you see him further upfield?

Personally, I would consider moving on JMac and Thompson in a package deal to the Suns. Thompson could play that Luke Hodge style organising role for them in the backline and JMac a midfield/halfback. I can see both fitting in well but I can also see several other clubs trying to package up a few mature players for them. Their second-round pick would be a reasonable trade.

Thanks for the detailed repsonse.

It would be great to see EVW get a run at things. You haven't mentioned LMacat all? Do you see him further upfield?

Personally, I would consider moving on JMac and Thompson in a package deal to the Suns. Thompson could play that Luke Hodge style organising role for them in the backline and JMac a midfield/halfback. I can see both fitting in well but I can also see several other clubs trying to package up a few mature players for them. Their second-round pick would be a reasonable trade.
I think Thompson would retire at the end of year.
If not 1 more year at North then retires.

Last edited:
Out: goldstein (1st round compensation pick), hrovat (delist), jmac (extract a digit)

In: campbell, hosie, garner (if ribs still sore -LDU)

Turner to back pocket. Doesn't impact the score board enough and his tackling and pressure would be a real asset down back with pittard and marley. Can no longer have Jmac down back - he's been poor for some time now (as say that as one of biggest fans not so long ago).

North by 5 goals
I’ve been saying this for years gg. He’s purpose built for it.

Plays his first and only game in the backline and gets beaten by the best mid/forward ever to lace them up (who circles our game in his diary every year btw) and our supporters throw him to the tip..

Give him the rest of the year at BP to learn the craft next to Marley, then next year when Maj comes back we will have one of the best backlines in the league.

Ruptured testicle? Cripes!
Surely not worth the risk of losing one altogether. There's no way that this heals in a week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back