Analysis Changes vs Weagles Round 11

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 4, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Beveridge in his presser said English and Weightman will probably be available.
Duryea a maybe, mentioned he trained today.
JJ is still suffering from illness and will probably miss.

My changes

In Weightman, English, Duryea
Out McComb, Cordy, Cleary

I like Cleary as a future player, but he made a few costly mistakes late in the game.
McComb isn't skillful enough for AFL football IMO.
Cordy was a bit undisciplined today and makes way for English.

Out: Gardner, Cleary
In: English, Duryea

Khamis gets another crack.
English in primarily as a forward (you know you want it!).

B: Duryea Keath Dale
HB: Richards Obrien Daniel
C: Williams Macrae Scott
HF: B.Smith Naughton Treloar
FF: Khamis English Liberatore
RUC: Sweet Bontempelli Dunkley
INT: Cordy McNeil McComb West
Sub: JJ

Cordy can finally play the swingman role, but is essentially the third tall down back - get him out of the forward line!!!

Beveridge in his presser said English and Weightman will probably be available.
Duryea a maybe, mentioned he trained today.
JJ is still suffering from illness and will probably miss.

My changes

In Weightman, English, Duryea
Out McComb, Cordy, Cleary

I like Cleary as a future player, but he made a few costly mistakes late in the game.
McComb isn't skillful enough for AFL football IMO.
Cordy was a bit undisciplined today and makes way for English.
Joking of course.

No changes unless Buku gets suspended. Would like English in but it's eagles so don't need him out there. Just get him 100%.

On the contrary it's a good little run around for him on a big ground against what is basically a VFL side anyway. Play him i say.

I’d give Cleary another hit out given its West Coast before making way for Duryea or Crozier (apparently had a good vfl game) the following week. English for Cordy and Weightman for Mcomb and shift the magnets around.

Cordy for shache. Shache has been playing well in the VFL as a ruck and swinging fwd. he’s a better fwd option than cordy. Sweet for English. People want to play these two together but it doesn’t make sense. Sweet battled hard and tackled, applied pressure, but he had four disposals and 0 marks. English will ruck majority of the game. He’s proven to be more dangerous around the ground than sitting up fwd. so where does that leave sweet? He’s not a threat up fwd or anywhere else. All he can do is ruck.and he’s tucking isn’t any better than English. It doesn’t work.

No changes unless Buku gets suspended. Would like English in but it's eagles so don't need him out there. Just get him 100%.
Buku didn't hit him hard enough to get suspended. Farrar comes from Halls Creek, where they don't eat Weet Bix for breakfast, they eat footballs. That wouldn't have hurt him, he went down holding his head to get the 50m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Timmy and Cody in
Cordy and McNeil out

Would prefer Mccomb out and west to take that wing spot and McNeil to keep his spot

Goes without saying how big the next two weeks are. Especially with Sydney playing Richmond and Melbourne and Freo playing Melbourne and Brissy.

The current side won and a win is a win and some good signs from people like West and Cleary and a breakout game by Richards - highly correlated with three talls all competing but it wasn’t convincing against a now middle of the road side and so we will be looking for significant improvement.

The great news is we get a great injection of talent the bad news is that some that have done their jobs will have to go and the mix will need to then adjust.

Over the next month till the bye we will get:

This week:

English to replace Sweet
Duryea to replace Cleary
Cody to replace McComb

Next couple of weeks:

JJ to replace Scott
VDM to replace McNeil

That is a big injection of talent across the whole ground and makes us way more dangerous - when they have got back up to speed. Other teams will be ‘shittin in their jocks’ coming up against us.

We also get a run at getting sorely missed cohesion in the backline - this is so important and we haven’t had it.

If we can get the three talls working together - with Ed, Dale, Duryea and Daniel - they can start to get back to where our positioning and help was the envy of the competition. This will save us a couple of goals a game - and get us to below the 75 points against level where we will win most games.

Understand it starts at the middle but having TOB contesting marks meant Ed Richard to could in from the side with a record intercepts - been a while since we were talking about how many intercepts we have taken. We are normally complaining that other team is having a field day. With Cohesion - Keath will cash in also.

After that we get Bruce to replace Cordy, with JUH still with work to do - this is the biggest impact for us. Bruce is our leading goal kicker and key target of opposition defence - he immediacy breaks the 2:1 and this positive influence on Naughty and others is far more valuable than his goals - I reckon he is worth 5 goals a game.

Schache could come in for a few games after working on improving his ruck craft. I am a fan of Cordy because of his endeavour but Schache gets a lot more of the ball and is commonly good for a couple of goals. Long term this is good for the team and he still has upside. Chances are by the time Bruce comes back we might have an injury in KPD or KPF and so Cordy will likely play anyway - his flexibility is a huge asset.

McClean is then competing with West for that role. West has been a standout - not just about possessions but he brings heat to the contest and we are getting that lock in pressure forward that brings back memories of Picken. He has missed some good attempts and if he can nail those 2-3 goals - we are a much stronger team. Yes he wants to play mid but if he can be our Robbie Gray we fill a hole in our magnets. I hope he stays.

Still can’t believe Crozier has not been picked - he is a leap above other VFL and has played many very good games in the AFL so nothing to do with ability. Would have thought Daniel moved to wing and he came in there but moved Williams - and it worked - I was surprised at how well he covered the ground - for a big guy he was really mobile. Bedendo is also developing quickly on the wing but is a way off.

Hannan and/or JUH will come in for rotations with Khamis - assuming Khamis drops off a bit With Khamis - I think we have a cracker there who brings something different and will be hard to dislodge if he keeps playing well. Main issue is to spread the play - he is still getting in others way rather than taking them away.

Also have Hunter and Wallis on indeterminate leave - I would have them both in the side. Hunter is one of our best players and we miss his link with the Mids and smarts. Wallis makes us stronger as a team but also has a new threat in West.

If English is 100% he should come in, but not sure who goes out. Could be the week to try the English/Sweet combo just to see if it has any legs at AFL level.

No one really springs to mind to be dropped in general. Not a fan at all of Cordy forward but he’s obviously doing something Bev rates. West might be the one for Weightman, but I rated his contested work tackling yesterday and we’ve been not great jnnthe contest around the ground this year.

The current side won and a win is a win and some good signs from people like West and Cleary and a breakout game by Richards - highly correlated with three talls all competing but it wasn’t convincing against a now middle of the road side and so we will be looking for significant improvement.

The great news is we get a great injection of talent the bad news is that some that have done their jobs will have to go and the mix will need to then adjust.

Over the next month till the bye we will get:

This week:

English to replace Sweet
Duryea to replace Cleary
Cody to replace McComb

Next couple of weeks:

JJ to replace Scott
VDM to replace McNeil

That is a big injection of talent across the whole ground and makes us way more dangerous - when they have got back up to speed. Other teams will be ‘shittin in their jocks’ coming up against us.

We also get a run at getting sorely missed cohesion in the backline - this is so important and we haven’t had it.

If we can get the three talls working together - with Ed, Dale, Duryea and Daniel - they can start to get back to where our positioning and help was the envy of the competition. This will save us a couple of goals a game - and get us to below the 75 points against level where we will win most games.

Understand it starts at the middle but having TOB contesting marks meant Ed Richard to could in from the side with a record intercepts - been a while since we were talking about how many intercepts we have taken. We are normally complaining that other team is having a field day. With Cohesion - Keath will cash in also.

After that we get Bruce to replace Cordy, with JUH still with work to do - this is the biggest impact for us. Bruce is our leading goal kicker and key target of opposition defence - he immediacy breaks the 2:1 and this positive influence on Naughty and others is far more valuable than his goals - I reckon he is worth 5 goals a game.

Schache could come in for a few games after working on improving his ruck craft. I am a fan of Cordy because of his endeavour but Schache gets a lot more of the ball and is commonly good for a couple of goals. Long term this is good for the team and he still has upside. Chances are by the time Bruce comes back we might have an injury in KPD or KPF and so Cordy will likely play anyway - his flexibility is a huge asset.

McClean is then competing with West for that role. West has been a standout - not just about possessions but he brings heat to the contest and we are getting that lock in pressure forward that brings back memories of Picken. He has missed some good attempts and if he can nail those 2-3 goals - we are a much stronger team. Yes he wants to play mid but if he can be our Robbie Gray we fill a hole in our magnets. I hope he stays.

Still can’t believe Crozier has not been picked - he is a leap above other VFL and has played many very good games in the AFL so nothing to do with ability. Would have thought Daniel moved to wing and he came in there but moved Williams - and it worked - I was surprised at how well he covered the ground - for a big guy he was really mobile. Bedendo is also developing quickly on the wing but is a way off.

Hannan and/or JUH will come in for rotations with Khamis - assuming Khamis drops off a bit With Khamis - I think we have a cracker there who brings something different and will be hard to dislodge if he keeps playing well. Main issue is to spread the play - he is still getting in others way rather than taking them away.

Also have Hunter and Wallis on indeterminate leave - I would have them both in the side. Hunter is one of our best players and we miss his link with the Mids and smarts. Wallis makes us stronger as a team but also has a new threat in West.
Nice analysis. I think VDM cannot be relied upon nor has he earned an automatic recall based on form. Too undisciplined and doesn’t do enough of the 1% stuff.

This is the week to bring Tim back for Cordy and to ease Tim back into the team by playing him in the forward/second ruck role with Sweet number one ruck. See how that goes. We might learn a bit about what two genuine ruckmen can do in tandem.

I must say that it's nice that all but the most stubborn nuffs have moved on from calling Gardner a s**t player who will never make it. Seems he's become a mainstay of this side now.

It's quite amazing really.
I for one didn't rate Gardner, but he has really developed into a disciplined defender.
He has his limitations, but he knows them and sticks with keeping it simple.
A spoil first mentality. He is quicker than I thought and his kicking has improved.

I'd like to see English in this week- maybe for Cordy.
Keep Sweet in and see how the two ruckmen work together.

KM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back