Coach Chris Scott re-signs to 2022 (aka the Chris Scott discussion Part IV)

Do you support Scott coaching from 2020 onwards?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being traded gave Varcoe the kick up the bum he needed. He had injuries but was coasting at Geelong, and if he'd been dropped maybe he would have improved. But, no, they refuse to drop senior players.

Maybe Duncan isn't an A grader, but last night he looked like an F grader. The difference between his best and worst is too great.

Varcoe was struggling from injuries but was getting back to good form. (I agree that he probably should have been dropped same with Motlop)

The problem wasn't just that Varcoe was coasting it's that we dont play as a team. Highly skilled players like Varcoe need others to do the grunt work so he can do what he does best.

Scott doesn't have the group playing as a team so outside players dont get the easy ball they should and they dont get protected.

Little wonder that Varcoe, Motlop, Lang, M Brown have been moved on. Thurlow is next and Cunico probably the year after.

Duncan has been patchy and Guthrie has gone down hill. GHS hardly had a look in even though he is one of our most skilled mids.

Scott cant structure a team and I agree he doesn't drop senior players.

How you can play Taylor, Henry, Kolo, Blicavs, Henderson all in the one team? Playing Kolo on the wing instead of an actual wingman?

Cam Guthrie has shown worse form than Cunico and Thurlow but because he is a senior player he doesn't get dropped.

Well Well Well...I'm amazed. Surely that is rubbish! I would've thought the club was flying and that we have an incredibly amazing brilliant genius in Chris Scott. After all, he must be because the club gave him a FOUR Year...yes, you read this right...FOUR YEAR extension 'BEFORE' the finals. Isn't it self evident that Chris is amazing and has the confidence of all the players and the club.
Where have you emerged from?
The fact that they gave CS an extension then, and not now, is fine by me.
He is the best man to lead us through the unknown era we are about to enter, that of struggling to make the 8, while trying to maintain our fickle lot of supporters as financial.

Lol real size oval. You realise MCG is a Cricket ground first and foremost right? It's actually not an Oval at all, but a Circle. You didn't get passed Grade 1 I see. The ground isn't the problem, the same issues crop up everywhere we play, except Kardinia Park and thats generally because we play s**t teams down there atm.
Not sure how you can argue the MCG is a circle with the dimensions of 171m x 146m

On topic, I was hoping that you guys would beat the Dees last night, but I am really confused by the massive contract extension for Scott
There seems to be some very mixed messaging coming through with the aggressive trading over the years, including topping up the list with an aging player like GAJ, but then be talking about a list in transition when you haven't had many chances to go to the draft with 1st round picks after so many were traded away.
GAJ, Taylor, Selwood & Hawkins are all over 30 next year so you don't have much time to make the most of them still on the list, so I really don't know what your strategy is.

Not sure how you can argue the MCG is a circle with the dimensions of 171m x 146m

On topic, I was hoping that you guys would beat the Dees last night, but I am really confused by the massive contract extension for Scott
There seems to be some very mixed messaging coming through with the aggressive trading over the years, including topping up the list with an aging player like GAJ, but then be talking about a list in transition when you haven't had many chances to go to the draft with 1st round picks after so many were traded away.
GAJ, Taylor, Selwood & Hawkins are all over 30 next year so you don't have much time to make the most of them still on the list, so I really don't know what your strategy is.
A couple of drafts ago, it was prudent to top up with Danger, Henderson, Smith, SSelwood, Tuohy, Stanley. They met areas of need and Selwood, Hawkins, and Taylor were still potent.
It didn't produce the ultimate, but we made top 4.
Which CLUB would not have welcomed back GAJ? Not only for on-field, but also for memberships. He is still going to feature in our B & F, which is a statement of where we're at anyway.
That seems to be what the strategy was. It gets modified every year anyway.

A couple of drafts ago, it was prudent to top up with Danger, Henderson, Smith, SSelwood, Tuohy, Stanley. They met areas of need and Selwood, Hawkins, and Taylor were still potent.
It didn't produce the ultimate, but we made top 4.
Which CLUB would not have welcomed back GAJ? Not only for on-field, but also for memberships. He is still going to feature in our B & F, which is a statement of where we're at anyway.
That seems to be what the strategy was. It gets modified every year anyway.
I totally get that... at the time, but what is confusing is that even with that trading to push for a flag, Scott wasn't the one who could get you success, yet apparently now he is the guy to manage a 4 year transition of the list to push back for success again.

Undoubtedly they believed we could win a premiership by topping up with those players. Now that it's become clear too many of our players actually s**t the bed when anyone so much as breathes the word finals they've rebranded it a transition period. Not really fooling anyone is it. I'm sure we'd have more respect for the whole process if they just put their hands up and said sorry our tilt at a flag didn't work, but here's our plan going forward. But hey, lets actually just carry on as we are espousing Greatness but planning for and delivering ongoing mediocrity.

I totally get that... at the time, but what is confusing is that even with that trading to push for a flag, Scott wasn't the one who could get you success, yet apparently now he is the guy to manage a 4 year transition of the list to push back for success again.
No, it will take a lot longer than 4 years to get that success again.
CS IS the right man to lead us through this transition time of partial rebuild while not bottoming out.

I heard Cookie on SEN 2w ago, and pre finals, he conceded we are no longer a top 4 team, and that if things went well, we could hope for a finals win or 2. It did not sound ARROGANT or comfortable, just simple reality.
List management is a balancing act, and we are going to struggle to make the 8.
The success that we have become accustomed to is not ours for eternity. I can't see why so many supporters can't accept that reality for what it is.
He explained that financially we can not really bottom out, and that everything would be done to keep us competitive enough to keep up our memberships.
If fickle and pathetic supporters drop off now that we are no longer in contention, it says a lot about their (lack of) maturity and class as people.
Having endured supporting the team (financially) every decade since the 60's , I believe I am in a fair position to make such statements.
Nobody likes us losing, but there is no doubting they did their best, and some supporters here are simply hoping for too much.
Picking holes in certain players last night because they didn't chase or contest as hard as the Demons... that is inevitable. They are a young talented fit list where all is coming together, and we are just trying to hang in there.
I seriously doubt any other coach could magically get us to be better against high pressure teams like Tigers, Demons.

Cook also said on SEN that we could not sustain 2 years on the bottom from a P&L pov... and that he would be very disappointed if we do not win a finals.Well id contend that like it not gravity is coming for us...

Melb this year.. next year it should be Ess and what about Crows and North etc... a bottom out is coming .. and the longer we resist , the longer the pain ..and perhaps the longer we strain the relationships of the supporters.

I have been an advocate of kids for sometime.. and that means trying to add quality kids ..not always trying to turn mud into jam...and it means losses. I could absorb seeing the likes of henry in a side that are losing.. but its hard to handle just adding more matures..it starts to look like building on quicksand

Cook also said on SEN that we could not sustain 2 years on the bottom from a P&L pov... and that he would be very disappointed if we do not win a finals.Well id contend that like it not gravity is coming for us...

Melb this year.. next year it should be Ess and what about Crows and North etc... a bottom out is coming .. and the longer we resist , the longer the pain ..and perhaps the longer we strain the relationships of the supporters.

I have been an advocate of kids for sometime.. and that means trying to add quality kids ..not always trying to turn mud into jam...and it means losses. I could absorb seeing the likes of henry in a side that are losing.. but its hard to handle just adding more matures..it starts to look like building on quicksand
And lets not trade away again our first rounders.

Have a look at the ground from birdseye. Its a circle. But i agree with everything else you say. I have no idea what we are doing either, but whatever it is isn't working.

This is how I view Chris Scott and Geelong over last few years.

Assembling premiership teams like the great Geelong side a decade ago can only be done one way, there are no shortcuts. Hawthorn confirmed this with their great side they put together the same way. Melbourne appear to be on track aswell.

Invest in drafting quality young kids with early picks and develop them properly, together as a team. History says this is where your Superstars are found to build your team around.

Compare that to Scotts current strategy of topping up and trading in players over a five-year period. It clearly flies in the face of teams with a makeup or proven demographic to contend for a premiership. Does he think he is smarter than everyone else???

Every year he tops up is another year Geelong are away from their next flag.

The saddest part is, the next Bartel, Kelly, Ablett and Selwood, to bring that flag, arent even on your list yet, they haven't even been drafted.
Currently there is a probable 10 year gap between your ageing superstars and a group of quality kids capable of replacing them.

I have heard a million reasons what's wrong with the current team, but i think maybe some unfair expectations are put on your young players, with a lot failing to measure up. Some could simply not be up to it and never will be.

Melbourne Richmond play for each other because they have grown together as a team, their superstar players are young or a greater age spread.
Geelong do not because they are a patchwork team with traded in players each year. Best players are 30 + very little contribution from young guys and not much in between. This will never change with this list.

The finals record is a direct result. Superstars can go up a gear for finals. Less talented players don't because they simply can't or aren't up to, cats have a lot of these

Chris Scott, or whoever is behind this top up this strategy is setting your club back 10 years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the press conference. Two key things:

1. About 2 minutes 35 in, Scott is asked specifically about the decision to bring in "recruiting certain players, for the purpose of trying to contend for a flag", and then if it had been a successful season. What follows is nearly a minute of complete waffle, worthy of the most idiotic pro-Scott apologist from this board. Sterling stuff.

2. About 4 minutes 20 in, Scott stated and I quote "...I can't work out when our era started..."

How about when you signed your contract?

utensil. Head.

This is how I view Chris Scott and Geelong over last few years.

Assembling premiership teams like the great Geelong side a decade ago can only be done one way, there are no shortcuts. Hawthorn confirmed this with their great side they put together the same way. Melbourne appear to be on track aswell.

Invest in drafting quality young kids with early picks and develop them properly, together as a team. History says this is where your Superstars are found to build your team around.

Compare that to Scotts current strategy of topping up and trading in players over a five-year period. It clearly flies in the face of teams with a makeup or proven demographic to contend for a premiership. Does he think he is smarter than everyone else???

Every year he tops up is another year Geelong are away from their next flag.

The saddest part is, the next Bartel, Kelly, Ablett and Selwood, to bring that flag, arent even on your list yet, they haven't even been drafted.
Currently there is a probable 10 year gap between your ageing superstars and a group of quality kids capable of replacing them.

I have heard a million reasons what's wrong with the current team, but i think maybe some unfair expectations are put on your young players, with a lot failing to measure up. Some could simply not be up to it and never will be.

Melbourne Richmond play for each other because they have grown together as a team, their superstar players are young or a greater age spread.
Geelong do not because they are a patchwork team with traded in players each year. Best players are 30 + very little contribution from young guys and not much in between. This will never change with this list.

The finals record is a direct result. Superstars can go up a gear for finals. Less talented players don't because they simply can't or aren't up to, cats have a lot of these

Chris Scott, or whoever is behind this top up this strategy is setting your club back 10 years.
and this same process was used at st kilda, and they are going nowhere

People need to realise the landscape has changed

Its not Scott's fault. Fault sits with Wells.
Had we had grundy playing yesterday, massive difference, yet we have thurlow who will be donated elsewhere for nix.
Oscar McDonald instead of gregson
Butler instead of Cunico
Weideman, had we put a price on Dangers head and played the fn game, instead of being the nice guys again
pick 26 for caddy - seriously bad trade
crouch, gardiner, nankervis, lobb, merret, mcstay and the list goes on instead of lang - the talent missed here is disgraceful
barrass instead of jj

and the list goes on

Wells has a lot of early misses, and this hurts
add grundy, butler, mcdonald, crouch into our team of last night and we are seriously a much better team

we dont need a rebuild, we need to recruit well, we are too often reaching with early picks

WAKE UP WELLS

if you look at the wasted picks of the last 5 years, there is a great deal of crap that should be directed at the recruiting department
a few late gems has hidden the waste of picks under wells
too many picks under 25 have been wasted
and he needs to be ruthless in trades, not pissweak

Don't know if it's been suggested, but let's throw a truck load of money at someone like Sam Mitchell to be an assistant coach. A real hard nut. A complete outsider. Someone who knows how to perform in finals. Someone that Geelong players would be scared shitless of. Would be real shake up, because this acceptance of mediocrity has to end. I hated him as a player. But you have to respect what he achieved.

Just watched the press conference. Two key things:

1. About 2 minutes 35 in, Scott is asked specifically about the decision to bring in "recruiting certain players, for the purpose of trying to contend for a flag", and then if it had been a successful season. What follows is nearly a minute of complete waffle, worthy of the most idiotic pro-Scott apologist from this board. Sterling stuff.

2. About 4 minutes 20 in, Scott stated and I quote "...I can't work out when our era started..."

How about when you signed your contract?

utensil. Head.
Now tell us what you really think Partridge. I agree, the waffle has been a hallmark of Chris Scott interviews for as long as I can remember. I stopped listening to them during the 2014 season. The best way to describe most of his chit chat would be 'Worthless vague positive psycho-babble'.

Had we had grundy playing yesterday, massive difference, yet we have thurlow who will be donated elsewhere for nix.
Butler instead of Cunico
Weideman, had we put a price on Dangers head and played the fn game, instead of being the nice guys again
crouch, gardiner, nankervis, lobb, merret, mcstay and the list goes on instead of lang - the talent missed here is disgraceful
barrass instead of jj

and the list goes on

add grundy, butler, mcdonald, crouch into our team of last night and we are seriously a much better team

we dont need a rebuild, we need to recruit well, we are too often reaching with early pick
WAKE UP WELLS

Fairdinkum past it as is Scott. Give Scarlo a chance

Yes!!! Yes, I believe he does.

Fairdinkum past it as is Scott. Give Scarlo a chance
Well, Scarlo has to wait four years now. So I'm sure he will be looking elsewhere to coach if he wants to progress his career. I don't see him hanging around FOUR YEARS (I can't believe we have to go through this for four more years). I think I might just check out and tune back in season 2022.

I heard Cookie on SEN 2w ago, and pre finals, he conceded we are no longer a top 4 team, and that if things went well, we could hope for a finals win or 2. It did not sound ARROGANT or comfortable, just simple reality.
List management is a balancing act, and we are going to struggle to make the 8.
The success that we have become accustomed to is not ours for eternity. I can't see why so many supporters can't accept that reality for what it is.
He explained that financially we can not really bottom out, and that everything would be done to keep us competitive enough to keep up our memberships.
If fickle and pathetic supporters drop off now that we are no longer in contention, it says a lot about their (lack of) maturity and class as people.
Having endured supporting the team (financially) every decade since the 60's , I believe I am in a fair position to make such statements.
Nobody likes us losing, but there is no doubting they did their best, and some supporters here are simply hoping for too much.
Picking holes in certain players last night because they didn't chase or contest as hard as the Demons... that is inevitable. They are a young talented fit list where all is coming together, and we are just trying to hang in there.
I seriously doubt any other coach could magically get us to be better against high pressure teams like Tigers, Demons.
Sorry dude but that is a losers attitude. Your mentality belongs back with the Geelong of the late 90's early 2000's. This team plays like the players and coaches have the same mindset as you. Average is good enough - we have turned into a surfing lifestyle club who is more interested in work/life balance than winning grand finals. Mediocrity is the order of the day and every loss brings the equalisation excuse. Instead of looking at the reality of where we are at we fall back on denial and excuse after excuse. Winning teams deal with adversity and the odds against them - thats what makes them succeed. In 7 years that mentality has been destroyed by a man too far up his own you know what.

Butler instead of Cunico
barrass instead of jj

and the list goes on

we dont need a rebuild, we need to recruit well, we are too often reaching with early picks

WAKE UP WELLS
But Wells is a genius!!!

Since Scott's reign/era (since he signed Partridge...you are right) he has Won 6 finals (3 Wins in 2011 - Flag WIN) and Lost 9 finals.

But let's take out that first year as most would agree that that flag was largely player led and inspired. They didn't want to finish careers having only won 2 flags. They were desperate to go out winners and prove everyone wrong...Scott was fortunate enough to go along for the ride.

So, since 2012 Scott have won 3 finals and lost 9. That is obviously good enough at Geelong to get a FOUR (yes, can you believe FOUR) year contract extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back