Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - Part II [NEW POLL ADDED]

For how long will Chris Scott be Geelong coach?

• For as long as he wants the job

• 5+ more years

• Somewhere between 2020 and 2022 (i.e. beyond his current contract)

• He will be sacked/resign in 2019

• He will be sacked/resign in 2018

• The Nuclear Option: sacked/resign in 2017

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're having a lot each ways there Romeo. I am categorically saying we were good enough to beat Sydney on Friday night....I am saying we were categorically good enough to win the flag this year, based on talent alone. All that talent goes out the window though, when blokes don't commit to the cause, and stand around like witches hats, while a quality side like Sydney runs riot. None of those names you mentioned worked hardon Friday night....none of them. I can describe every single one of Caddys possessions, and it's not hard because he only had 12 of them for the entire night.
I see it too often with that list of players I mentioned.....I named them because they are the main protagonists.
We can't win a flag with those blokes, NOT BECAUSE WE ARENT GOOD ENOUGH, but because those guys don't have that internal desire, that hunger, that mongrel to compete with the likes of Sydney.
It's disappointing that so much talent is going to waste, but it is what it is, and we need to start trading out and getting some hard workers into the club.
Ok, compare Caddy, Motlop, Blix, Guthrie with Kennedy, Hanneberry, Heaney, Jack, Mitchell, Parker-better footballers aren't they at this point in time?
I agree they haven't stepped up enough and that is something that needs addressing. Agree our player development needs work, our entry into the forward line needs work. Don't agree about the work rate of some of them.
Did you see the Swans in the 2014 GF? In their final against GWS 2 weeks ago-looked as soft as butter. Where was their mongrel, their hunger? That is how you look when you are getting flogged.

The team need a whack

Joel was having a shot on goal, and no player went for 10 seconds to get the ball
showed that the players were not on

Kolo allowing buddy to receive a handball and a shot on goal showed a lack of awareness

Say whatever you want about the rest but Hawkins does not belong. Spends most of the season with two players hanging off him, clogged up space in front of him and slow stagnant ball movement.

When they do go forward it's a high long bomb that is inevitably picked off by one of those two men, who often are illegally man handling Tom. Every time we move the ball quick he either outmuscles his man and marks the ball or marks the ball on the lead.
Without a true CHF it's hard to ask him to move up the ground to get involved as then who do we kick to. He's the focal point in a misfiring forward structure that needs quicker ball movement to succeed.

Tom Hawkins is not a player I'd be blaming, tries his guts out even when the umps give him no assistance.
Did you notice in the game that it was bombed in long, where was the leading Hawkins. No leads so what do you do you bomb it long, go back through the game and see how many times it was bombed long whilst Hawkins was leading. Built like Tarzan plays like Jane while trying to out muscle opponents with no back up at ground level, where were the crumbers.

I genuinely hope they don't go to early here.

There is absolutely no harm in holding off a bit longer, He isn't going anywhere and if the team doesn't perform next season we aren't locked into anything that may compromise the best decision being made for the club
What's too early? Because he will be re-signed by Round 1.

Did you notice in the game that it was bombed in long, where was the leading Hawkins. No leads so what do you do you bomb it long, go back through the game and see how many times it was bombed long whilst Hawkins was leading. Built like Tarzan plays like Jane while trying to out muscle opponents with no back up at ground level, where were the crumbers.
Also look at the Bulldogs movement of the ball quick and precise thats the Geelong of old, 1st option is always the best option hold on to it longer and the opposition also has longer to work out whats going on, Geelong are playing slow football, The team this year were good enough to go all the way but i think something is missing to lead them and that was off field the coaching staff could not get them up,

Notice how you get very few 'likes' for your posts anymore ;) And as for your post, pure crap like always crazy. Remember Jonathan Simpkin who played for Scott for a couple of seasons there and was in and out of the team, how did he manage to play in one of the greatest teams of the modern era and earn the right to play in a premiership winning side? Basically what I am getting at, he went to another club and improved under a different coaching staff. The same thing can be said about many others who have left us and managed to play as starters and play consistent football. Varcoe, Hamling, Hunt are recent examples. Chris Scott never made Mitch Duncan, Steven Motlop, Daniel Menzel better players. They showed enormous potential under Bomber Thompson and merely progressed as the years went by. I would argue that Duncan and Motlop have gone backwards over the last 18 months. Blicavs had a breakout season solely due to the very fact we had a lot injuries and he was the last one standing and like his first 2 years in the game where he was gifted games despite stinking it up throughout half of those initial seasons, he's had one good year and was bloody terrible in 2016. How come guys like Lang, Kersten, Horlin-Smith, Murdoch, Vardy all regressed? You bring up Menegola but he did nothing he was not doing at Fremantle. The only difference is he was given a chance at a softer midfield at Geelong. His finals were average to say the least. Was shown up big time on Friday night so pull the breaks on him and we will see where he is at by the end of next year. As for Dangerfield . . . lol, we got him when he had just won his teams best & fairest. He is in his prime and almost won the Brownlow medal last year. Are you seriously implying he would not have replicated this years performances if he was playing for another team like Hawthorn, Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon or Richmond? :huh:

Weak as piss - showing up only to gloat over your own team's loss. And the hypocrisy is that they exceeded your expectations in making a PF. Classy bloke.

Last edited:
How do you reckon you'd go both retaining players and enticing players of the ilk of Dangerfield under your administration? :rolleyes:
Dangerfield wouldn't be at the club in that scenario unless he wanted to be. Enticing players of Dangers ilk is pointless though and not how flags are won (Look at Carlton with Judd, or GC with Ablett) Danger won't be part of a flag at Geelong anyway because he'll have Scott coaching till 2019 and we won't do anything under Scott and after that he'll be too old and the Bullies and GWS will still be too dominant. Also we won't have developed enough young players of any quality to take us anywhere - we haven't in 5 years so what makes anyone think we will in the next 4? I know it's not what a lot of you desperates want to hear but it's just the truth, our only chance of a premiership in the next decade is a new coach and a complete and ruthless rebuild.

I genuinely think we have players that look after their mates as well
Guth/Blitz/Caddy/Mots will all pick a worse option if it is giving it to one another
I felt it last year and this year I reckon it happened again
If that is correct, then we haven't got our leadership team right. The captain can't do it all. The general rule is five effective leaders on the field. You don't get "waxing" then.

What's too early? Because he will be re-signed by Round 1.
I'd wait till mid season at earliest myself

And this isn't overreacting.... I've said this all along

The Geelong Board's Stupid-o-Meter just officially redlined and crashed.
As long its contained here like all good virus'

Go Catters

I'd wait till mid season at earliest myself

And this isn't overreacting.... I've said this all along
Doesn't seem to be the way things are done. If a club is happy with a coach they don't want to be in the final year of the contract uncertain what happens from there for two reasons: the risk of losing the coach to someone else; and giving the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the decision whether or not to extend is all about performance in that final period. In this case Scott has a 6 year record to be assessed on and the club has a lot of information on which to make a decision. They won't feel they will learn anything in 2017 they don't already know.

As much a coaching issue and I'm sure plenty of other players in the team agree.. This sort of non-action on underperforming players poisons the group.

Motflop should have been dropped this year and made to earn his spot back.. Chris Scott doesn't coach that way, he might have been a tough player but he's a weak coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As much a coaching issue and I'm sure plenty of other players in the team agree.. This sort of non-action on underperforming players poisons the group.

Motflop should have been dropped this year and made to earn his spot back.. Chris Scott doesn't coach that way, he might have been a tough player but he's a weak coach.

My biggest criticism of Chris Scott is THIS.

He has all but the fringe players in cotton wool, and they perform accordingly. There's no risk to their positions in the side, they know it.

Throughout the year, Blicavs, Guthrie, Mackie and Motlop (minimum) all should have been dropped. No one needs to ask the question 'who can you bring in that's better' either, it's not about that, it's about setting a precedent. Maintaining a culture of promoting hard work and not accepting mediocrity. Some say this can cause players to lose confidence? Give me a break! These are professionals on hundreds of thousands of dollars... Effort and intent shouldn't need to be questioned, but in our side, it's a BIG issue.

Motlop wasn't given the opportunity to come back from a wake up call.. that was Scott's decision. He turns up to pre-season fat, plays like a rock star, obviously he's taking the piss. You watch him go to another club and see them extract his best...

In my book. Chris Scott - Fail.

Beveridge had the guts to drop Stringer, do you think the other Dogs players don't wonder what will happen if THEY don't work hard, give their all at least to a consistent level?

My biggest criticism of Chris Scott is THIS..

I think people can too easily isolate the individual.. ie. he's had some great games blah blah.. Means nothing if his attitude is poor.

It's as much about the group as the individual, exactly why Beveridge dropped Stringer. An x-factor player not doing the non-negotiable things expected of the group. You just know there's an airtight culture at the dogs.

Anyone who thinks Motlop's attitude problems don't filter down and effect others is delusional.

Chris Scott is a big believer of playing out of form players in the starting 22 to try and recapture form rather than getting a little kick up the backside and going back to the seconds to find that form and earn their spot again.

Coach just took the team from 10th to 4th and Prelim. Not to mention finals in 5 of 6 attempts.

Gagged in the Prelim no doubt.

Any other club he'd be a messiah on those results.

Is he perfect - far from it.

Does he deserve more time - yes - heaps more time - no but more yes to more time.

Go Catters

I genuinely hope they don't go to early here.

There is absolutely no harm in holding off a bit longer, He isn't going anywhere and if the team doesn't perform next season we aren't locked into anything that may compromise the best decision being made for the club

You do realise that when a club doesn't extend a coaches contract it makes it much harder to recruit and retain both players and off-field staff ?

We also want to send a clear message to our players that they are ones who will be held accountable for our performances next year , not the coach .

The bottom line is that Brian Cook is in a much more capable and in a better potion to judge Scott than an of us are . If he is convinced Scott should get a extension than he is correct .

Doesn't seem to be the way things are done. If a club is happy with a coach they don't want to be in the final year of the contract uncertain what happens from there for two reasons: the risk of losing the coach to someone else; and giving the impression (rightly or wrongly) that the decision whether or not to extend is all about performance in that final period. In this case Scott has a 6 year record to be assessed on and the club has a lot of information on which to make a decision. They won't feel they will learn anything in 2017 they don't already know.

Its also easier to recruit and keep both players and off-field staff if they know who is going to be the head coach .

Any other club he'd be a messiah on those results.
He wouldn't still have a gig at Hawthorn or Sydney on those results. We had the biggest recruiting drive in the clubs history pre-season 2016 and what did it get us? One finals victory by 2 points due to a completely uncharacteristic miss after the siren by arguably the best kick in the Hawthorn team, a team that wen't out in straight sets mind you. Oh and it also got us a Prelim humiliation which was only tempered by Sydney putting the cue in the rack at half time. We've suffered under Scott's poor finals coaching for long enough, if greatness really is our ambition how can we keep a coach on with such a poor record when it counts?

He wouldn't still have a gig at Hawthorn or Sydney on those results. We had the biggest recruiting drive in the clubs history pre-season 2016 and what did it get us? One finals victory by 2 points due to a completely uncharacteristic miss after the siren by arguably the best kick in the Hawthorn team, a team that wen't out in straight sets mind you. Oh and it also got us a Prelim humiliation which was only tempered by Sydney putting the cue in the rack at half time. We've suffered under Scott's poor finals coaching for long enough, if greatness really is our ambition how can we keep a coach on with such a poor record when it counts?

so you do agree he's in the top 3 coaches in the league.

Finally.

thanks

GO Catters

Dangerfield wouldn't be at the club in that scenario unless he wanted to be. Enticing players of Dangers ilk is pointless though and not how flags are won (Look at Carlton with Judd, or GC with Ablett) Danger won't be part of a flag at Geelong anyway because he'll have Scott coaching till 2019 and we won't do anything under Scott and after that he'll be too old and the Bullies and GWS will still be too dominant. Also we won't have developed enough young players of any quality to take us anywhere - we haven't in 5 years so what makes anyone think we will in the next 4? I know it's not what a lot of you desperates want to hear but it's just the truth, our only chance of a premiership in the next decade is a new coach and a complete and ruthless rebuild.
Dogs and GWS might dominate, but things have a way of diverting from the script don't they. Dogs got lucky with the bye week-that doesn't happen they go to Perth and lose without the key inclusions-then they have finished 7th, and gone out 1st final-two years running-do you sack Beveridge then? So then they did a great job in Perth and ran into a cooked Hawks who had spent all their pennies trying to beat us. Then a byed out GWS. Am wrapped, and they deserve to be there, but luck's a fortune isn't it. And no guarantees they will 'dominate' next year-they can't even beat us for crying out loud BC!

Ok Let's assume there is an element of truth in this.
I too believe that many of the above are content with their lot and probably lack the sort of hunger that we are currently seeing from the other finals protagonists.
If it is the case, how do you fix it as a coach without alienating half of the team. ( see how I worked the alien theme in there Fred?)

its pretty easy

when people dont do things that are expected then you drop them regardless of who they are

eg when Motlop puts in pitiful defensive efforts then you drop him to the VFL until he fixes it

these are non negotiables when it comes to building a team that can win a flag

you dont worry about needing to win every week it's about building a successful team who do things team first

if the coach cant enforce this kind of discipline then you find some who can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back