Opinion Chris Scott's coaching - PART III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They can't all be stars mate. The reality is we have players that aren't up to it. You've been spoilt by all our success over the years, and I suspect you will be very disappointed over the next few years. We can't contend for the flag every year, we can't get every draft pick right. That's the reality. We have some average players, no amount of coaching will help someone who doesn't have the ability to perform to the required level. What you'll find is a lot of these players are actually playing to their ability, they just aren't as good as we initially hoped they would be. The draft is an absolute lottery, even the Hawks have had many dud first round picks over the years, and yes, even Clarkson and his Wizard team of coaches couldn't develop them into good AFL players. It happens.

That's obviously true, but equally as true about the mob that just ended our season yesterday, both lists are about on a par IMO, the difference was that they have a game plan that they adhere rigidly to while ours seems to change from week to week, even quarter to quarter; swap the coaches over yesterday and I have no doubt we would have walked away with the four points.

Being better than him means little. These guys still offer us not much atm.

So what does it matter?
It’s my point. We have a bottom 6-8 that’s a revolving door of non-performance and it’s merely degrees of shitness.

agree on Abbott. Not on Thurlow. Jackson can sit in the reserves for all I care, he’s as average as the rest of the passengers.

You’re paragraph about Tigers/Hawks and picking Parsons. I agree he’s crap but what I’m telling you is that there’s more than him in this boat and they all go back to the VFL and play solidly yet come up and give us nothing.

The problem is broader than Parsons and why I think it’s redundant to complain that his selection (blunder) cost us today. The other candidates give us not much more, and that’s our true problem. We have a very big bottom tier. In Cricket parlance we have a very long tail.

Agree to an extent, our bottom tier is fairly ordinary, but the fact they keep gifting games to Parsons while effectively forcing GHS out the door borders on criminal negligence for mine, doubt I've ever seen Smith perform as poorly at AFL level as Parsons has in just about every game he's played this year.

This may be adding fuel to the fire - but I guess people missed/ignored this article & info from Cook on the 31 July:

Maybe the discussions with Scott will start sooner than originally expected - but going by what was said less than 2 weeks ago, think its safe to suggest that sacking Scott this week is most likely out of the question & that we are more likely to see the announcement of a contracted extension rather than termination

But maybe its time to do a review of the club just like they did in 2006 - because while its easy to say sack Scott, wouldn't it make more sense to actually have a greater understanding of what is happening behind the scenes at the club and what steps need to be taken to make positive changes.

https://www.geelongadvertiser.com.a...1/news-story/c520ea51c22ba955829b8c799c338da0
Ha, let finals get out of the way first... we're probably barely even going to make it. Good on ya Cooky! How about we worry about actually making the finals first mate.

Well be ready to be disappointed with the rest of us even if for different reasons. Club has said they don't plan on making changes to assistant coaching team.
Paul Roos had an interesting perspective, this isn’t exclusively related to us, but anyway.

He said that the system is backwards. The TAC Cup has very large squads (50+) and given school studies limit contact hours that nowhere near enough work is done on skills.

So players arrive into an AFL environment, start their first preseason a month later than the rest and often have average skills. So clubs have to invest lots of their precious footy department spending cap on development coaches to upskill them more than in decades gone by.

His solution was simple. Pull half the coaches out of the AFL system and send them to the U18 level. Have smaller TAC squads and when players arrive in the AFL it’ll be the cream of the crop and they’ll arrive much better skilled than they do now. Then the coaches can rightly dedicate their time to tactics and game plan.

Specifically on us I don’t think our assistants are developing skills anywhere near well enough and have pined for a refresh in that area for at least 3 years now.

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Heard Scarlett being interviewed before yesterday's game and he pretty much sounded like the coach in waiting, although he was 'gracious' enough to say he was still learning how to be a 'good assistant'.

I don't think it's in Scarlett's personality to be an assistant for too long, especially if he feels things should be moving in a certain direction and they aren't. How Scott (and the club) deal with his desire for Geelong greatness will be mighty interesting. Do they give him the VFL job for more game-day experience, or would that be a step back?

He's already got runs on the boards regarding Stewart, cementing a solid defensive unit and is doing more and more media on game-day.

Looking in from the outside, he may be the old-fashioned head-kicker of the coaching group (ala Brendan McCartney) that some players may have trouble with. Such players may not be in the Hoops for much longer.

Heard Scarlett being interviewed before yesterday's game and he pretty much sounded like the coach in waiting, although he was 'gracious' enough to say he was still learning how to be a 'good assistant'.

I don't think it's in Scarlett's personality to be an assistant for too long, especially if he feels things should be moving in a certain direction and they aren't. How Scott (and the club) deal with his desire for Geelong greatness will be mighty interesting. Do they give him the VFL job for more game-day experience, or would that be a step back?

He's already got runs on the boards regarding Stewart, cementing a solid defensive unit and is doing more and more media on game-day.

Looking in from the outside, he may be the old-fashioned head-kicker of the coaching group (ala Brendan McCartney) that some players may have trouble with. Such players may not be in the Hoops for much longer.
Hopefully his career advances with us and not another team.

How did people on here take Scott's wack at billy's comment of the mids being "lazy" I thought it was somewhat disrespectful, arrogant actually. Cause it was billy he treated his comments w the royal
Danger wasn't as raw in his response to the same Q but none the less

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

How did people on here take Scott's wack at billy's comment of the mids being "lazy" I thought it was somewhat disrespectful, arrogant actually. Cause it was billy he treated his comments w the royal

Dangers interview was much more worthwhile watching.
Was actually prepared too answer the questions asked of him,unlike our bristling coach.

Yup. Unlike the Dogs, GFC won't be getting rid a coach who provides this sort of feedback.

Geelong under 50 games on Saturday playing

Narkle- 6
Brandan parfitt - 31
Tim kelly - 20
Fogarty - 15
Henry - 15
Parsons - 31
O’Connor - 4
Stewart - 41

8 of the 22 named for Saturday had less than 50 games

Really Sums up where we are at as a team and why we are not as good as we think we are.

Whether or not these kids will or won’t make it, they are far from ready for premiership standard football.

During our premiership years our worst player was Shannon Byrnes who has a hundred games experience to his belt and wojinski/josh hunt who are solid good players.

Last edited:

Yeah I really did not like that, it was so arrogant.
He can't comment on the midfield cause he wasn't a midfielder?
Either was Scott.

Narkle- 6
Brandan parfitt - 31
Tim kelly - 20
Fogarty - 15
Henry - 15
Parsons - 31
O’Connor - 4
Stewart - 41

Really Sums up where we are at as a team and why we are not as good as we think we are.

Whether or not these kids will or won’t make it, they are far from ready for premiership standard football.

During our premiership years our worst player was Shannon Byrnes who has a hundred games experience to his belt and wojinski/josh hunt who are solid good players.
The problem is we're not as good as the club thinks we are.
Mid range list at best constantly topping up to to temporarily make us a high-mid range list but never being to access the picks to make us a proper contender.
You can't really blame supporters for not accepting this reality, or being let down or being upset when the club believes we are good enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scott always suggests that our good form is just around the corner. We’re chasing rainbows.

Even if we do plan to improve towards the end of the year. Every other club is looking to do the same. It’s always stated with some sort of confidence that “we think our best footy is still to come”. Let’s forget about what we will do.. face facts... we’re playing very ordinary footy and no guarantee to improve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Disturbed that Scott (in post match) doesn’t appear to take any responsibility for lack of attacking pressure until late in games. The reality is the zone/structure of our plan A game plan is static and reliant on consistently good foot skills (which we don’t have) and fragile against quick teams bringing manic pressure.
The reason we have late surges is our top 8 players have elite fitness which comes into play when teams playing kamikaze pressure start to tire.
Very disingenuous of Scott to imply that the game plan is okay and the problem is purely players not being switched on until late (and if it was - doesn’t the coach have some responsibility for this, anyway?)

Is Scott only contacted for one more year?

If yes, then massively tricky situation for the club as Scott (understandably, perhaps) is going focus our trades purely on success for 2019 when maybe the right thing would be a focus on a longer term recruiting strategy.

Narkle- 6
Brandan parfitt - 31
Tim kelly - 20
Fogarty - 15
Henry - 15
Parsons - 31
O’Connor - 4
Stewart - 41

2011 premiership
Allen Christensen -19
Mitch Duncan -29
James Podsiadly -42
Trent west -20

The problem is we're not as good as the club thinks we are.
Mid range list at best constantly topping up to to temporarily make us a high-mid range list but never being to access the picks to make us a proper contender.
You can't really blame supporters for not accepting this reality, or being let down or being upset when the club believes we are good enough.
It is true that our list quality (and resilience) drops away quickly from about top 12 onwards (and places limits and challenges on the coaches) but Scott and co must still take a large slice of responsibility for this as an 8 season reign gives well enough opportunity to shape or rework a list (Hawks have done this in 2 years!). Perhaps just had bite the bullet and go rebuild in 2016 or 2017 - it was just too tempting to think Cats were not that far away when perhaps Qualifying finals indicated we really were.

Also get stick of Scotts smart ass attitude in press conferences. Always turns questions around to have a go at the reporter - very Ross Lyon flog style.

They all do when they lose. Even Bolton.

I can't think of a single coach who is pleasant after a loss. They all have god-complexes, based on the nature of their jobs. They place themselves and the team above media and tbh supporters too.

They all do when they lose. Even Bolton.

I can't think of a single coach who is pleasant after a loss. They all have god-complexes, based on the nature of their jobs. They place themselves and the team above media and tbh supporters too.
Definitely. We are all idiots with no idea about football. Blind freddy proved that wrong again this week with what we produced on the field and selection table.

At the risk of the ban hammer, I'll offer my opinion on Geelong's coaching/game style woes.

I only follow Geelong closely when they play the Hawks and for the last two years it has seemed to me that there is key group and the outsiders. And when it comes to crunch time then the "cool kids" get to play with the ball when going forward while the left-overs are expected to defend any Hawthorn rebound. And if an outsider finds himself with the ball then he better not stuff up as there will be finger-pointing and flailing of arms. But if one of the superstars stuffs up then there will be a shake of the head and a "better luck next time" atmosphere.

I'm not having a go, just relaying what I observe. I think there is an intentional over-reliance on the big elites in both tactics and emotions in Geelong's play.

At the risk of the ban hammer, I'll offer my opinion on Geelong's coaching/game style woes.

I only follow Geelong closely when they play the Hawks and for the last two years it has seemed to me that there is key group and the outsiders. And when it comes to crunch time then the "cool kids" get to play with the ball when going forward while the left-overs are expected to defend any Hawthorn rebound. And if an outsider finds himself with the ball then he better not stuff up as there will be finger-pointing and flailing of arms. But if one of the superstars stuffs up then there will be a shake of the head and a "better luck next time" atmosphere.

I'm not having a go, just relaying what I observe. I think there is an intentional over-reliance on the big elites in both tactics and emotions in Geelong's play.
Yeah thats fair enough. Hope you don't get banned for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back