Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henry is class
Keep him
Great idea
Cameron is not that good.
Would not be in the best 14 rucks in the league
Cameron has just signed a new 3yr deal so he will not be going anywhere besides which Grundy has to reestablish himself again, what he was 4 yrs we have seen nothing of for the last 3 seasons and tbh he has a massive job to come back to that standard. I do not want to lose Henry either and we will just see what happens with him I would prefer to lose Grundy before Henry but by the same token I would prefer Grundy overt the people we are talking about bringing in but only if he takes a paycut.

With McStay coming in, assuming that happens, I don't see any way around us trading either Grundy or Cameron. With all the talk around Grundy he seems likely. But if he's just been exploring options before making a decision (will partly depend on how much salary other clubs are willing to pay), there is some chance we end up moving Cameron, even if unlikely.

With McStay coming in, assuming that happens, I don't see any way around us trading either Grundy or Cameron. With all the talk around Grundy he seems likely. But if he's just been exploring options before making a decision (will partly depend on how much salary other clubs are willing to pay), there is some chance we end up moving Cameron, even if unlikely.
doubt we move cameron after we just signed him to a 3 year deal a few months back.

I did, and that's the concern. Many a team build has gone off the rails because a club over reaches due to a season of success. Especially with a new regime looking to impact, it's a real danger.

This season can be seen as a dead cat bounce from our previous build. We've already been through the top up phase and had come out the other side. Going back to it before we've built the new core is, at best, going to delay our new build, at worst it can condemn it to failure. We'd be grabbing for an unlikely 1-2 year window, then we need to further top up or go back to youth. Bad time to be compromising in my view.

However well we finish this year, we have to be much better next season to truly compete. We can't expect to be there and about again and top ups pushing us over the edge. Our regular season was good, but with zero margin for error and a number of our top end players ageing.

Think about this scenario: sign Mitchell for $700k over 3 years. Lose our first 5 games next year and he's back in the VFL and we're looking to move him out, probably having to salary dump and continue paying him. If immediate success isn't coming, we quickly need to look to our youth because too much of our top end is old.

Right now all we're doing is speculating, despite having heard nothing even semi solid about our interest in Mitchell - I'd strongly doubt we're seriously considering it. If it happens, maybe I could get on board depending on what we do with other moves, but can't see any way it happens without significant risk.
I think we have seen the folly of bringing Beams when we thought we were in the window and although we did make the prelim final that was no thanks to Beams anyway I also remember us bringing Mitchell,s dad here and that never worked either.

I think we have to look at what we already have here at the club before we go breaking the bank maybe unnecessarily, I agree about building from within because there are so many players we have hardly seen, I had misgivings about bringing in McStay still do because of some of the young talls we have hardly seen.

I think we have seen the folly of bringing Beams when we thought we were in the window and although we did make the prelim final that was no thanks to Beams anyway I also remember us bringing Mitchell,s dad here and that never worked either.
Iā€™m not sure you can really equate bringing in Beams for a ridiculous price with his baggage, and recruiting Mitchellā€™s dad against his will, to bringing in Tom on what would be a fairly reasonable contract and trade price.
I think we have to look at what we already have here at the club before we go breaking the bank maybe unnecessarily, I agree about building from within because there are so many players we have hardly seen, I had misgivings about bringing in McStay still do because of some of the young talls we have hardly seen.
McStay makes sense from a list perspective, itā€™s just the reported contract thatā€™s the real issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back