Opinion Commentary and media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As ive stated before: if he knocks back a 9M deal, he is as dumb as dogshit... I reckon he comes and i reckon Phil is in his ear as he had tissue paper hammys and knows how fickle the body can be...[/QUOTE
GWS will put another $20000to $50000 on the price. What North offer . He won't leave his mates .

AFL pushing for broadcasters to show cutting-edge player metrics
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
April 28, 2017 9:00pm

THE AFL is poised to win the battle to bring revolutionary player tracking data to TV screens this season.

The league is pushing strongly to sign-off on a deal that would allow broadcasters to show cutting-edge player speed and distance measurements, as well as a bird’s eye view of teams’ game styles and playing patterns.

In a world-first, the new software also measures distances between players and their opponents, helping monitor exactly how closely defenders track their man.

It also has the capacity to provide insights into players’ work-rates, by charting their running intensity when players are in possession, compared to when they are out of the play.

The Herald Sun understands the Western Bulldogs are the only club which has remained resistant to the AFL’s plan, arguing the sensitive information could unmask tactics and expose players’ weaknesses or injuries.

A more detailed version of the software will also be made available to clubs for about $40,000. Some clubs have agreed to purchase it, believing it is potentially one of the “greatest coaching tools” in the game’s history.

dd7f0a0d50e6de32217ffd045982f92f

Kayne Turner and Mason Wood get fitted with GPS trackers at training. Picture: Hamish Blair
As part of the package, clubs will be able to see an overview of its players’ positions and the opposition’s exact team formation — but not the rival players’ identities — on their computer screens in real-time.

Melbourne-based sports technology company Catapult provides the GPS element for the package and already services all 18 AFL clubs.

Catapult chief operating officer Barry McNeill said the technology would help enhance enjoyment and understanding of the game for fans.

He said the company was working with coaches to ease concerns about the exposure of player data.

cf4fd8551cb63d8c30611796e15e3bef

“By the end of this season you will be seeing this on screens, is my view,” McNeill told the Herald Sun.

“(Clubs) will learn to appreciate that there is some pretty obvious things they can share in the public domain that would enrich the AFL product for stakeholders and fans, without jeopardising their competitive advantage.

“The competitive advantage for the clubs is in how they use this data and AFL teams are probably resourced the best in the world in terms of manipulating data.”

But the broadcast plans remain the most sensitive aspect and the issue has emerged as a key sticking point in the AFL’s protracted pay negotiations with the Players’ Association.

b4e30be3d9f0618a434c2df81ba12141

GPS player tracking is ever growing in importance to AFL clubs.
The players union is keen to ensure the information is not used to highlight players’ deficiencies.

But a breakthrough is expected soon with broadcasters likely to agree to show only the top performers in key categories, such as speed or distance travelled.

After four years in the making, Champion Data is ready to deliver the software product to clubs and broadcasters, after partnering with Catapult, which has deals with elite sports clubs around the world, including EPL’s Leicester and the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.

Broadcasters believe the data can help enrich the viewing experience.

The new program has attracted interest from some of the world’s biggest sporting leagues, with one American code already in discussions about the Australian tracking software.

AFL pushing for broadcasters to show cutting-edge player metrics
JAY CLARK, Herald Sun
April 28, 2017 9:00pm

THE AFL is poised to win the battle to bring revolutionary player tracking data to TV screens this season.

The league is pushing strongly to sign-off on a deal that would allow broadcasters to show cutting-edge player speed and distance measurements, as well as a bird’s eye view of teams’ game styles and playing patterns.

In a world-first, the new software also measures distances between players and their opponents, helping monitor exactly how closely defenders track their man.

It also has the capacity to provide insights into players’ work-rates, by charting their running intensity when players are in possession, compared to when they are out of the play.

The Herald Sun understands the Western Bulldogs are the only club which has remained resistant to the AFL’s plan, arguing the sensitive information could unmask tactics and expose players’ weaknesses or injuries.

A more detailed version of the software will also be made available to clubs for about $40,000. Some clubs have agreed to purchase it, believing it is potentially one of the “greatest coaching tools” in the game’s history.

dd7f0a0d50e6de32217ffd045982f92f

Kayne Turner and Mason Wood get fitted with GPS trackers at training. Picture: Hamish Blair
As part of the package, clubs will be able to see an overview of its players’ positions and the opposition’s exact team formation — but not the rival players’ identities — on their computer screens in real-time.

Melbourne-based sports technology company Catapult provides the GPS element for the package and already services all 18 AFL clubs.

Catapult chief operating officer Barry McNeill said the technology would help enhance enjoyment and understanding of the game for fans.

He said the company was working with coaches to ease concerns about the exposure of player data.

cf4fd8551cb63d8c30611796e15e3bef

“By the end of this season you will be seeing this on screens, is my view,” McNeill told the Herald Sun.

“(Clubs) will learn to appreciate that there is some pretty obvious things they can share in the public domain that would enrich the AFL product for stakeholders and fans, without jeopardising their competitive advantage.

“The competitive advantage for the clubs is in how they use this data and AFL teams are probably resourced the best in the world in terms of manipulating data.”

But the broadcast plans remain the most sensitive aspect and the issue has emerged as a key sticking point in the AFL’s protracted pay negotiations with the Players’ Association.

b4e30be3d9f0618a434c2df81ba12141

GPS player tracking is ever growing in importance to AFL clubs.
The players union is keen to ensure the information is not used to highlight players’ deficiencies.

But a breakthrough is expected soon with broadcasters likely to agree to show only the top performers in key categories, such as speed or distance travelled.

After four years in the making, Champion Data is ready to deliver the software product to clubs and broadcasters, after partnering with Catapult, which has deals with elite sports clubs around the world, including EPL’s Leicester and the NBA’s Golden State Warriors.

Broadcasters believe the data can help enrich the viewing experience.

The new program has attracted interest from some of the world’s biggest sporting leagues, with one American code already in discussions about the Australian tracking software.

* me, there's going to be nowhere to hide. Bludgers are going to get named and shamed.

Anything to do with what? Brad being committed? I think I already answered you - it doesn't play much of a role because its in the past, it just adds to it. He clearly had the tendrils out and has to be evasive (and cannot answer the question). I posted what he said (I quoted his comments you should recall), and why I feel he isn't committed.

Because you 'wouldn't be surprised if he left', and that's not exactly congruent with someone pushing the point that brad is committed to us. Is that trolling to you? I feel its almost trolling me!
His comments gave no indication that he wanted to leave, no matter which answer he gave the questions were loaded and no answer would've satisfied you.
Every coaches manager will be look at what their clients value is, all managers talk to all clubs.
However if he was to leave in the next year or two it shouldn't surprise anyone as he's been coach for 8 years, his contact is up next year and we have had 3 other coaches filling in for Brad for a few games a year in the last 2 or 3 years - that's succession planning.

On GT-I9506 using BigFooty.com mobile app

* off Rod we've been reamed by the umpires for the last 6 weeks boo hoo boo hoo rod stroker .

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cameron Ling thinks Jack Ziebell should be cited by the MRP for allowing a Gold Coast player to run into his back. Seriously.

View attachment 364495
Don't insult Beaker with the association :)

Btw been waiting all night for the post match press on Norths youtube. Unfortunately not there yet.

Last edited:
Cameron Ling thinks Jack Ziebell should be cited by the MRP for allowing a Gold Coast player to run into his back. Seriously.

View attachment 364495
Was quite amusing seeing Ling approach the players as they were waiting to come off the ground and nobody wanted to talk to lingy.

#redhairnofriends

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back