List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

I really like Draper and lots of people forget about him. I think he's the best kick in the top cohort, with O'Sullivan up there too but then the rest drop away with their kicking skills as CountryLad has touched on. This draft crop are the handballers, lots of them like to link up with chains of handballs and are very good at it, but then when it comes to the kick they're ok - Jagga, Moraes, Smillie and Ashcroft. They'll give a little handball in congestion, run to the outside and get the ball again and often give off again by hand, it's strange that this draft group have so many similar types. It's really noticeable to me.

Draper has speed, good inside/outside game and has a nice kick! Not elite, but a still very good.
How much of this small give and go handball is down to how Nic Daicos and Ashcroft play? The game strategies are set to get the ball out of congestion as quickly as possibly and to move it to the outside.

It will be interesting to see how the big bulls go this year in terms of Cripps, Yeo, Fyfe, etc. So far, they are playing well but are not as dominant as the roles were say 3 to 4 years ago.

When the big bulls were coming out of congestions, not so great kicking was tolerated. Less focus on intercepting previously. Now more focus is on speed to get the ball to the forwards and ability to control the pill or at least have the pressure to tie up the contest.

If we ever needed clarity on how much easier it is for forwards to mark when there is speed on the ball, no better example than with Snake on Sunday.

Looking at some of the high stat mids, the split is much closer in 50:50 by hand and foot.

In terms of mids, I think the top group are all good, it will just be seen as to what sort do you need added to your current crop.

Norf can sit the mid chase out this year (but won't be able to resist it)
Hawks desperately need someone with pace and will be drawn to Jagga and Moraes.
Tigers need all sorts so will go best mid available
Adelaide would be crazy not to go for Draper. He would complement their smaller bulldozer brigade and use Rochelle and Rankin as a run through option
Carton will be so busy getting the Camporeale points they can be counted out, similar with Lions and Levi.
Saints have already shown they are prioritising run and carry and speed so will be dipping in again.

As much as most seem to want a new skillful mid to complement Reid/Ginbey/Hewett, would we be better off making sure our talls are locked in first? We have KPF depth on the list(despite them being mostly very young) but we seriously lack KPDs.
If we cant secure Buss, are we better off doing whatever we reasonable can to make sure we draft at least one decently high pick KPD, along with some less elite but still good outside ball users, either for mid/wing/HB/whatever we want.

If a tall player takes a few years to be ready to go, surely we want to start that few years ASAP. If we get some smaller quicker outside mids itll be a lot easier for them to jump straight in with big guys like Reid/Ginbey/Hewett in there protecting them right?
Wing and classy back flank type player prob our priority imo. Wouldn't say no to another gun mid like FOS. Play him off the half back or wing for first couple of years or just a gun backflanker like hotton or trainor with our first pic.

I like buss but he does seem to be an intercept type which we have with bazzo so unless he's cheap wouldn't bother me if we missed out but think it's worth some effort

100% agree of the KPB, hope we can find an Eric mackenzie or barass type with one of our later pics

A lot of water to go under the bridge but interesting to look at the current draft order.

View attachment 1962889

I am expecting the bottom 4 to look much like this come seasons end. Of those 4, I can see Hawks, Tigers and Eagles all happy to stick and pick an elite midfielder. Norf are the ones likely to be interested in trading back and could be open to offers since they desperately need talls and the talls this year will not be in the top 10.

The Crows are likely to be improve their ladder position but I expect their first pick to be around 10 - therefore Draper is likely off the board. Will the R1 be used on Petty (expect something back) or will they trade up for Draper (adding to their F/S in Welsh) and hence double down on the midfield?

Of the clubs holding multiple early picks : -
Freo have their own, Pies and Ports R1 picks and whilst they hold 3 picks, I see them all in the double figures. Will the purples be pie in the sky trying to get Logan or will they get a reality check? Do they trade up to get an elite mid - Smillie to replace Fyfe is tempting!

Suns will be sluts again with 3 early picks and hopefully the AFL tweak the rules and make them pay up more for the academy prospects. That said, I expect to see them bank points for next year which looks like a stronger academy pool for them plus get a pick in before Lombard.

Dogs do not have a first round pick but Smith is reportedly all but checked out. I expect a future first on offer from Hawks and Pies while the Cats can offer a current R1.
Bit of talk that GC are interested in Daniel Rioli. Fills a need for them as a running rebound defender.

Really like the look of him. Absolutely agree with you with footy IQ, knows where the ball is going going both into and out of a contest. I saw one kick to a contest that was halved but otherwise some really nice distribution off the HB line. Could potentially push up onto a wing too, combine testing results will be a watch.
He's the no. 1 runner at the Pioneers this year. Always tops their tracker numbers at the conclusion of their games.

Another Curtin in the WA U18 team this year, though not available for draft until 2025.

He's the no. 1 runner at the Pioneers this year. Always tops their tracker numbers at the conclusion of their games.
If that’s the case and he can demonstrate good decision making and distribution he’s got to be near the top of our recruiting priorities in terms of list need. Huge watch on him for me this year.

How much of this small give and go handball is down to how Nic Daicos and Ashcroft play? The game strategies are set to get the ball out of congestion as quickly as possibly and to move it to the outside.
Not that we’ve seen him this year, but Brisbane don’t play a handball game, so Ashcroft had that pretty much taken out of his game at AFL level.
It will be interesting to see how the big bulls go this year in terms of Cripps, Yeo, Fyfe, etc. So far, they are playing well but are not as dominant as the roles were say 3 to 4 years ago.

When the big bulls were coming out of congestions, not so great kicking was tolerated. Less focus on intercepting previously. Now more focus is on speed to get the ball to the forwards and ability to control the pill or at least have the pressure to tie up the contest.

If we ever needed clarity on how much easier it is for forwards to mark when there is speed on the ball, no better example than with Snake on Sunday.

Looking at some of the high stat mids, the split is much closer in 50:50 by hand and foot.

In terms of mids, I think the top group are all good, it will just be seen as to what sort do you need added to your current crop.

Norf can sit the mid chase out this year (but won't be able to resist it)
Hawks desperately need someone with pace and will be drawn to Jagga and Moraes.
Tigers need all sorts so will go best mid available
Adelaide would be crazy not to go for Draper. He would complement their smaller bulldozer brigade and use Rochelle and Rankin as a run through option
Carton will be so busy getting the Camporeale points they can be counted out, similar with Lions and Levi.
Saints have already shown they are prioritising run and carry and speed so will be dipping in again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of talk that GC are interested in Daniel Rioli. Fills a need for them as a running rebound defender.
Yes - I/ve read that. You would expect the Tigers want a player or a first round pick.

Or maybe something more sinister like :-

Rioli and points from their 3 x R3 and 3 x R4 and a future first (lets say pick 4)

for

Suns R1 pick from Doggies, R1 pick of own and pick 20 from Norf charity and pick 29.

That would turbo charge the Tigers rebuild taking picks 4, 8, 11, 20, 24 and 29 to the draft. In all, Rioli valued at pick 17 which is probably fair. Tigers could also agree to a salary pick up meaning they might not have to give their F1 but their F2 and F3.

Suns get to pick up Lombard (assume they will need 1,500 points) plus carry forward to 2025 in a single transaction around 2,000 points

Not saying this is the exact deal but this is what the 2 clubs have to work with

1713434998048.png

Yes - I/ve read that. You would expect the Tigers want a player or a first round pick.

Or maybe something more sinister like :-

Rioli and points from their 3 x R3 and 3 x R4 and a future first (lets say pick 4)

for

Suns R1 pick from Doggies, R1 pick of own and pick 20 from Norf charity and pick 29.

That would turbo charge the Tigers rebuild taking picks 4, 8, 11, 20, 24 and 29 to the draft. In all, Rioli valued at pick 17 which is probably fair. Tigers could also agree to a salary pick up meaning they might not have to give their F1 but their F2 and F3.

Suns get to pick up Lombard (assume they will need 1,500 points) plus carry forward to 2025 in a single transaction around 2,000 points

Not saying this is the exact deal but this is what the 2 clubs have to work with

View attachment 1963269
That would be a perfect hand for us.....3, 8, 11, 20, 24 and 29 to the draft.

Anyone who is currently 6 weeks+ away should go onto the LTI list now. That’s the minimum time to be spent on the list and will mean we have a spot open for MSD (May 29) then that player will be available the week after. I’m sure we’ll have another 6 week injury by then which we can then move onto LTI at that time when it’s time for the player we place on there now to return. Or give Gaff a farewell game and an appropriate acknowledgement of his contribution to the club.

I think it will be quite comical if Richmond try and sell off Dusty. I don't know if any clubs would even offer them a ham sandwich for him. Looks like he is in a bad place mentally and like he couldn't care less about footy anymore with his negative body language. And thats whilst he is still on the big money. Imagine his enthusiasm levels when his current contract is up and he had to take a 70% pay cut to the pay level his current output on the field is worth. Then he will really be disinterested.

I saw that Daniel Rioli was very publicly touring the GC facilities despite being under contract for another two years. That could only happen with Richmond's permission, like if Richmond want to trade him and have told him to go look at the GC facilities to talk him into it. So it is starting to look like Richmond are preparing to have a firesale to kick start their rebuild. They probably figure better off to bottom out now than in two years time when the Tasmanian team is compromising the draft.

If i was Freo i would be more interested in asking what they would want for Lynch (assuming he could pass a medical) than chasing Baker.

D Rioli to the Suns. What that that say about Maurice? I'm not convinced Maurice will make it.

Richmond smart knudging players towards the Suns.

D Rioli to the Suns. What that that say about Maurice? I'm not convinced Maurice will make it.

Richmond smart knudging players towards the Suns.
I think it’s more Dimma “just wanting a chat”… would be a win-win for both clubs to swap players for picks.

More details on potential changes on f/s and academy bidding and also pick purchasing likely to come in right at the right time for us is a handy boost
This type of matching should never have been replaced with pick bundling.
Who ever thought that was a good idea anyway?
Bit disappointed that when teams can match for academy kids is not being reviewed.
Also the idea of the mid season trade period is somehow living on...

This type of matching should never have been replaced with pick bundling.
Who ever thought that was a good idea anyway?
Bit disappointed that when teams can match for academy kids is not being reviewed.
Also the idea of the mid season trade period is somehow living on...

Agree. F/S to an extent is based a bit more on luck (also not ignoring it is not luck that teams have been in the AFL longer so have higher chances due to a larger pool of fathers)… but remove the discount and stop junk pick bundling.

Academies have been proven as a rort, players who are good get brought in late (and almost exclusively at the benefit of northern clubs). As much as these clubs need to be supported during tougher times they also need to be penalised for success.

GF - no matching 1st round
Finals - max 1 bid match 1st round, 25% points loading (additional points to match in 1st round)
9-14 - 1 first round bid match (no loading, no discount), maybe a second allowed at 50% loading
Bottom 4 - up to 2x 1st round match, no discount or loading

This also removes the need for PP’s as the pool is actually larger (not theoretically with a 2 speed draft)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back