List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Jacob Blight

• Jasper Scaife

• Jack Hutchinson

• Other

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Not really. Quite a few players skip the mid season draft to wait for the main one

If im Hatley id be very wary of joining Eagles over say Brisbane Lions who have picks after us also
Why would any midfielder who is just trying to resurrect a career choose the Lions over west coast?
The Lions arent winning the premiership this year, and theyve got a bunch of strong mids already

Why would any midfielder who is just trying to resurrect a career choose the Lions over west coast?
The Lions arent winning the premiership this year, and theyve got a bunch of strong mids already
Oh im not saying they would. Just as a overall example

Hatley for example would be smart to try get to North in their 2nd pick as opposed to us is the more clear example

I'll pop this in here but I think you dont have a MSD pick at this stage? Let me know if you dont want me to post the MSD guys.

----

Jacob Blight is one that's played his way into the mid season draft conversation through his strong start to the season for Peel Thunder. Jacob's a big and mature key defender who's a solid aerialist and has a nice penetrating kick, although in this game we see him miss a few.

I'll pop this in here but I think you dont have a MSD pick at this stage? Let me know if you dont want me to post the MSD guys.

----

Jacob Blight is one that's played his way into the mid season draft conversation through his strong start to the season for Peel Thunder. Jacob's a big and mature key defender who's a solid aerialist and has a nice penetrating kick, although in this game we see him miss a few.

I wonder if he is one who wants 18 month deal also. He is the one Lions should be after with one of the 4 picks. With Gardner out for a while and Doedee out this year etc it puts them with next to no defensive depth.

Would be one to select for them on a longer term deal also given Gardner wont be AFL ready til this time next year

----

We most likely will have one now with Long's injury, but appreciate your input regardless.

Why couldnt we give a guy like Hately 18 months like most of the MSD guys want?

Yeo is no guarantee to play every game for the rest of this year or next year, we need somebody to be able to fill his role when hes out/rested/on the bench and be competitive without disrupting the rest of our team by taking Duggan or something who plays very differently anyway. Our gameplan right now seems to rely on winning clearances, not much good if we cant win contest when 1 guy is out.

Who are our mids over the age of 21 right now who can play inside mid feeding the ball out to the youngsters in a Yeo sort of role?
Sheed - hopefully the coaching staff recognise hes no good and we continue to move on from him. He was dropped the other week so hopefully that continues. He has a foot injury to manage anyway.
Kelly - Better as the 2nd or 3rd mid
Trew - Probably delisted, worse than a guy like Hately
L.Edwards - Not our guy
Duggan - Better off half back or in a more defensive midfield role

Thats about all of them, all our other mids are in their 1st or 2nd years or Chesser.
Ginbey is probably better suited to be a more outside player than inside bull with his athleticism, Reid cant be the main guy in his 1st/2nd year. No other young player we have is ready.
Ruscoe isnt this player either.

Flynn is a nice ruckman but he wont be dominating to the point where we can get away with a weaker midfield

Hately is 23, still young. I did notice at the crows he was wasted on a wing most of the time rather than in his preferred inside mid role, some chance he has something to give at AFL level in his preferred role.

I guess its similar to that DevRob sort of role we were looking at last year.
Its clearly a gap on the list that may need some bridging, and hasnt been much talk of us being linked to an inside mid F/A or trade target that ive seen for this year. If in 18 months hes no good, all good hed have been solid depth and a good player in the beagles.
Doesnt have to be Hately, but something similar would be nice, seeing as there is no real amazing pick for us in the MSD anyway
From reading the crows thread on hateley he is a big bodied inside mid who is average pace but a good endurance runner , ball winner with good hands in close . But he is an inside mid and that is it no other strings .

He just couldn't break into their on ball brigade ahead of sloane , keys , laird , crouch and when Dawson came that tall mid spot disappeared.

When he did play on ball he played well

I suppose a benefit of picking Ruscoe, obviously pending on how our reserves format plays out, is that it does sell hope to decent players coming over to play for our 2s.

We wouldn't be the most attractive prospect (was frankly surprised we nabbed Ruscoe himself) but if there's a genuine sell of 'you'll be first looked at for us should a spot open up' figure a lot of players looking to find their way back on an AFL list might give us a crack.

----

Noah Long out for the season. WC will have a pick, so post highlights

please

From reading the crows thread on hateley he is a big bodied inside mid who is average pace but a good endurance runner , ball winner with good hands in close . But he is an inside mid and that is it no other strings .

He just couldn't break into their on ball brigade ahead of sloane , keys , laird , crouch and when Dawson came that tall mid spot disappeared.

Yep he was wasted at the crows. I watched him a bit in 2022 when he got a few games(had him in fantasy) and he only got time on ball for 4 games when Crouch was injured.
I really do think he'd be worth a punt considering our on-ball brigade is Yeo, Kelly, and teenagers(not counting Sheed)

I suppose a benefit of picking Ruscoe, obviously pending on how our reserves format plays out, is that it does sell hope to decent players coming over to play for our 2s.

We wouldn't be the most attractive prospect (was frankly surprised we nabbed Ruscoe himself) but if there's a genuine sell of 'you'll be first looked at for us should a spot open up' figure a lot of players looking to find their way back on an AFL list might give us a crack.

Ruscoe is also employed through Communities at West Coast. That would help immensely. Not sure we can create that many vacancies to lure decent players over to play WAFL. Equally unsure what promoting him to the AFL list would do to his current arrangements.

Jean-Luc Velissaris

Purely because it's a great name.
Make It So Star Trek GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ruscoe is also employed through Communities at West Coast. That would help immensely. Not sure we can create that many vacancies to lure decent players over to play WAFL. Equally unsure what promoting him to the AFL list would do to his current arrangements.

Does anyone even know if Ruscoe has even nominated for the MSD?

So, essentially Jai Culley but doesn't play as a third tall?

On the vacancies bit - someone more in the know will probably know the exact number but I believe we only filled 50 or so of our 70 recruitment points this year - luring the players has been just as much an issue as the WAFL concessions themselves.

You're right about the Communities bit though - that type of employment is something we have been good at doing. I'm sort of just thinking that no matter if we do go into a national reserves competition, or stay in the WAFL, we'd be well served by decent players knowing we're a club who gives chances to players loyal to our 2s, Box Hill style. Enticement is always going to be an issue for us especially if we're going up against the already established Box Hills in games.

Definitely if there's a standout option I'd rather prioritise talent and potential, but if there's no obvious Maric and it's all a much for muchness in our recruiters eyes (like if we're pretty sure whoever we pick will likely be on the list 6 months then make way for a better recruit end of year) then could do worse then rewarding our best performed ressie.

My issue with MSD, if there is no standout prospect, it potentially robs us off a spot in the ND.

These are the players out of contract end of the year:

witherden
Gaff
Burgiel
Yeo
Barnett
L Edwards
Jack williams
H edwards
J jones
J culley -- rookie
Baker -- rookie
rotham
Rawlinson -- rookie
Trew -- rookie
Dewar -- cat B

Assuming we want to bring in 2 players via trade and or FA (ie. Buss and perryman)
Then probably a minimum of 3 in the ND.

Thats 5 we need a mainlist spot for.

From the above

Gaff and JJ look like most obvious cuts

yeo and Jwilliams priority renewals

Witho, rotham and Ledwards seem like options but are all in the 22.

Burgiel, Barnett, culley to me seem like guys we should persist with. Culley may be required to go main list?

Dewar im assuming needs to be upgraded to main rookie list ?

I think baker and trew will be gone.
Maybe rawlinson to if dewar is upgraded.

Hedwards is a tricky one. He is okay depth and could be more. But feels like he goes or CJ gsts moved to rookie list to open a main list spot.

I also think we should pay out sheed and call it a day. But i doubt the club feels the same way.

Anyway long story shirt, as crazy as it sounds i dont think opening up 5 main list spots is as clear cut as we think and msd loses us even more flexibility in that regard.

That being said if there is a kid with upside i still hope we have a crack. Just not sure a ruscoe type is worth the increased inflexibility.

Some goss that if Baker decides to come to west coast it would not involve picks. More likely to include a player.

Someone on here from a 3rd club said Tiges had asked about chesser but I don’t think it will be him or anyone of our young players.

I wonder if we’d consider trading Bailey back to Victoria given we have Flynn, and have young developing ruck stocks and decent forward stocks.

Would leave us very exposed if Flynn went down next year.

My issue with MSD, if there is no standout prospect, it potentially robs us off a spot in the ND.

These are the players out of contract end of the year:

witherden
Gaff
Burgiel
Yeo
Barnett
L Edwards
Jack williams
H edwards
J jones
J culley -- rookie
Baker -- rookie
rotham
Rawlinson -- rookie
Trew -- rookie
Dewar -- cat B

Assuming we want to bring in 2 players via trade and or FA (ie. Buss and perryman)
Then probably a minimum of 3 in the ND.

Thats 5 we need a mainlist spot for.

From the above

Gaff and JJ look like most obvious cuts

yeo and Jwilliams priority renewals

Witho, rotham and Ledwards seem like options but are all in the 22.

Burgiel, Barnett, culley to me seem like guys we should persist with. Culley may be required to go main list?

Dewar im assuming needs to be upgraded to main rookie list ?

I think baker and trew will be gone.
Maybe rawlinson to if dewar is upgraded.

Hedwards is a tricky one. He is okay depth and could be more. But feels like he goes or CJ gsts moved to rookie list to open a main list spot.

I also think we should pay out sheed and call it a day. But i doubt the club feels the same way.

Anyway long story shirt, as crazy as it sounds i dont think opening up 5 main list spots is as clear cut as we think and msd loses us even more flexibility in that regard.

That being said if there is a kid with upside i still hope we have a crack. Just not sure a ruscoe type is worth the increased inflexibility.

Don’t see how adding an extra rookie listed player in the midseason draft robs us of a senior list spot in November. Worst case is we elect to keep the player on the rookie list for 2025, in which case we’re down a rookie list spot.

Dewar doesn’t need to be upgraded. Neither does Maric. Culley does.

Some goss that if Baker decides to come to west coast it would not involve picks. More likely to include a player.

Someone on here from a 3rd club said Tiges had asked about chesser but I don’t think it will be him or anyone of our young players.

I wonder if we’d consider trading Bailey back to Victoria given we have Flynn, and have young developing ruck stocks and decent forward stocks.

Bailey would make sense for them. Nank is close to retiring and Samson Ryan is having a poor year.

I'd be open to it, i think J.Williams has more potential than Bailey in the key forward/2nd ruck role.

We can manage without BW I think. We will still have Jamo, and Barnett will be a year older(if he signs on again).
Worst case we find some recycled ruckman in the PSD or MSD next year, or get English lol.
BW + a F3 for Baker would be an ok starting spot, the Tigers would want more though

Back