List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Good post. :thumbsu:

Very good player is Travaglia, and I would be thrilled if he was on our list, as you say he is a players who's skill set we are in much need of.

I have a second half of the first round grade on him at this point in time, however a ripper championships may well see him coming of the board a tad sooner than that.

He also reads the play exceptionally well, has a high football IQ does Travalia.
I agree with you on with his ranking. I hope he shows enough under our recruiter’s noses without exploding and pushing himself into the top 10. It may mean we have to look at that second tier of mids like Lalor, Gross etc depending on our trade bed fellows.

As you’ve pointed out we are badly missing his skill set and thats why I’m also particularly keen on Hopkins for the MSD. He’s nowhere near as polished or complete as Travaglia (who won the Pioneers B&F last year as an underager playing alongside Harley) but I think Hopkins has enough to work with and potential at 190cm to turn him into a long term HBF who would pair well with Travaglia if we managed to get him. If we can add Buss to that mix we’d be well on the way to refreshinging and future proofing our defence.

If you are the Eagles you are offering Bailey Williams for Baker. If you are Bailey Williams you would be rejecting a trade to the Tigers, he'll be going further backwards.

Interesting position to take.

I’d put forward this question:

What happens to Bailey’s role in the team in the back end of this year and 2025 when Oscar and Flynn get back?

Clearly Flynn is number 1 ruck, then Bailey is fighting for 2nd ruck spot with a player JWilliams who has better forward craft.

There is real possibility Bailey loses his spot in B22 over the next 10-12 rounds.

Just on Will Patton, he's put together some solid form as mid sized defender in the SANFL so can clearly play. But he was passed over last year for some reason, despite being All Australian and Captain of SA and was definitely one of the better players in the draft class.

I don't know what the reason is, but with the MSD you very very rarely see these guys who missed out in the national and rookie drafts get picked up! It's the guys who were injured in their draft year, later bloomers who weren't on the radar of recruiters the year prior that tend to be picked like a Maric, Culley or Ramsden to name a few.

Delist
Witherden, Gaff, L Edwards, Jones, Rotham, Baker, Trew, Baker

Delist and possibly rerookie
H Edwards, Rawlinson

1 year contract
Burgiel, Culley

2 year contract
Yeo, Barnett, Jack Williams

Cat B another year
Dewar, Livingstone

As far as delistings go it will obviously be tied to how many list spots we need. The only player of the 8 above I’d even give the slightest of second thoughts to is Rotham depending on our trade and draft acquisitions. The rest I’d rather have open list spots for the SSP/MSD than have them on the list.
We don't have two Bakers do we?
Also Rawlinson is a rookie already.

Just on Will Patton, he's put together some solid form as mid sized defender in the SANFL so can clearly play. But he was passed over last year for some reason, despite being All Australian and Captain of SA and was definitely one of the better players in the draft class.

I don't know what the reason is, but with the MSD you very very rarely see these guys who missed out in the national and rookie drafts get picked up! It's the guys who were injured in their draft year, later bloomers who weren't on the radar of recruiters the year prior that tend to be picked like a Maric, Culley or Ramsden to name a few.
The knocks coming out of SA seem to be undersized for KPD and too slow for smaller role at AFL level.

We don't have two Bakers do we?
Also Rawlinson is a rookie already.

Witherden was BOG for us in his last game, and you want to delist him? Good rational! He has improved a lot this year.
Rotham also has been good since coming back in. And Baker has the talent, but lacks opportunity at the moment; whether he gets it or not, I don't know, but I would like him on our list for another year - he needs to bulk up a bit.

What happens to Bailey’s role in the team in the back end of this year and 2025 when Oscar and Flynn get back?

Clearly Flynn is number 1 ruck, then Bailey is fighting for 2nd ruck spot with a player JWilliams who has better forward craft.

There is real possibility Bailey loses his spot in B22 over the next 10-12 rounds.
No chance. How you view Bailey Williams is not how the club views him. He’s well ahead of Jack in the pecking order, still ahead of Flynn unless he can prove himself.

Not saying I wouldn’t trade him but no chance he gets dropped after his very good last couple of years.

Sure Jack Williams has some potential but Bailey Williams I think takes his spot, he hasn't been given the chance to even learn forward/ruck yet and that is where our coaches see him. He just needs to kick a goal a game, provide a good option up forward and be dominant against the second ruck to have played his role.

If he does, he increases his value and a 3 way trade would be the better option for both parties (WC and BWilliams) to try and obtain Baker

I saw scaife play against south a few weeks back.While his numbers don't jump off the page, you can see the obvious appeal for afl clubs. Strong hands, nice kick, good size for a 20 year old. Keitel is the big dog in that forward line so most entries go through him not scaife. Haven't seen enough to comment on work rate or versatility, but I'm sure someone will grab him mid year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be pretty happy if it stays this way but a few of these are off the mark to me although good to see the KPFs finally being ranked higher.

On our list we have the following KPFs who are 25 and under :

Allen
BWilliams
JWilliams
Reid
Livingstone

Plus Waterman (who’s 26) and Maric who are 3rd tall types.

Until we see how that group develops we probably don’t need another project tall in the MSD so I don’t see why we would seriously consider Scaife

Allen
BWilliams
JWilliams
Reid
Livingstone

Until we see how that group develops we probably don’t need another project tall in the MSD so I don’t see why we would seriously consider Scaife
Yep priority should still be mids but the need to replenish both our KPD and our attacking HBF is high as well

Edit: You might not be interested in another key forward. I just read your discussion on that right after I posted the vid so apologies.

-----

If you're playing as key forward this season for South Adelaide then you need to make the most of your chances, and that's what Noah Howes does. Big lad with a mature body for an 18 year old, Howes moves well and is a strong contested mark (ranked second in the SANFL). His kicking is solid with a fluid action and he even has a few tricks in his bag.

I thought too slow might be it, and yeah he's a midsized defender.
Yep. By all accounts a great person but the two things you can’t teach are height and speed. I hope he gets a chance somewhere and if the club were to pivot in his direction for the next 6 months I’d be ok with that but obviously Hopkins is my preference.

Not sure how Flynn is numer 1 ruck spot tbh, he's been on an afl list since 2016 and managed 30ish games albeit he's had injuries.

Jack williams has had prob 1 breakout game since being drafted.

Whether west coast fans like Bailey or not it'd be reckless to trade him out until there's a better alternative

Not sure how Flynn is numer 1 ruck spot tbh, he's been on an afl list since 2016 and managed 30ish games albeit he's had injuries.

Whether west coast fans like Bailey or not it'd be reckless to trade him out until there's a better alternative

Yep agree.

Everyone is willing to put all their eggs in one basket for Flynn but looking back he has been very injury prone.

Allen
BWilliams
JWilliams
Reid
Livingstone

Issue is that i'd argue Allen and J Will are the only two that i'd see in our best 22 when we are good again.

Now hopefully Reid may become something, but more likely to not make it (jsut ging on averages for players in that draf range).

Flynn has been stuck behind Mumford, Preuss and Briggs basically his whole career, all very strong ruckmen.
Preuss you might say hasnt played a lot either, but hes been stuck behind Mumford and Gawn his whole career along with being incredibly injury prone, he wouldve fit right in on our list the last 2 years. Hes been very good when hes played though.
Mumford I dont need to explain.
Briggs popped up halfway through last year and was probably the number 3 ruckman for the year behind English and Marshall.
Flynn has had a couple of injuries too, but when hes played hes been solid, enough to be an average vanilla ruckman who can breakeven in hitouts vs the vast majority of opponents.

Flynn walks straight into our number 1 ruck spot easily

Back