List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Issue is that i'd argue Allen and J Will are the only two that i'd see in our best 22 when we are good again.

Now hopefully Reid may become something, but more likely to not make it (jsut ging on averages for players in that draf range).
Theres plenty of KPFs who get drafted after the first round, I wouldnt be so negative so quickly about Reid. If all he does is bulk up and be capable of taking a strong mark above his opponents head he will be a good player.
Allen, JW + Maric/Waterman as the 3rd is enough talls for a competitive forward line. Look at Sydney, Melbourne, GWS, Port all doing just fine without 2 absolute elite KPFs doing work. At least we have 1 in Allen

Flynn has been stuck behind Mumford, Preuss and Briggs basically his whole career, all very strong ruckmen.
Preuss you might say hasnt played a lot either, but hes been stuck behind Mumford and Gawn his whole career along with being incredibly injury prone, he wouldve fit right in on our list the last 2 years. Hes been very good when hes played though.
Mumford I dont need to explain.
Briggs popped up halfway through last year and was probably the number 3 ruckman for the year behind English and Marshall.
Flynn has had a couple of injuries too, but when hes played hes been solid, enough to be an average vanilla ruckman who can breakeven in hitouts vs the vast majority of opponents.

Flynn walks straight into our number 1 ruck spot easily
You're delusional if you think Flynn will come in and all our Ruck issues will be sorted at best Flynn and Bailey working 50/50. Likely maric or both jack's playing wafl when Oscar come in

You're delusional if you think Flynn will come in and all our Ruck issues will be sorted at best Flynn and Bailey working 50/50. Likely maric or both jack's playing wafl when Oscar come in
We’re not going to bring a player in (Flynn) that can only play ruck and have him rucking 50% of the time. When fit, Flynn will ruck almost the entire match with a couple of spells and will rest and setup a kick behind play when the ball is in our F50 with one of our forward talls to do the ruck work there.

If he’s going to stay in the team it’s going to need to be as a KPF who can chop out in the ruck which is the role that Simmo has been at pains to say is the intention. If he can’t hold that position then it’s WAFL but a very useful back up for injury cover.

Oscar and Waterman are walk up starters. I don’t see us dropping Maric or JD. Our preference is to play three tall backs to allow Gov to zone off. Jack Williams emerging also creates competition for his spot. If everyone stays fit Bailey is not best 22.

Who was the bloke Monocle was keen on last draft but everyone passed over?

Was it Will Patton? - WCE_phil, any insight and is he worth a MSD pickup?

Patton was unfortunately born 2 decades late. Very, very good footballer but just lacks a bit in athleticism to be a mid sized defender or is lacking in height to be a KPD. (maybe still too slow)

He's going to make a great state level footy player but once I saw his testing numbers last year I just knew it was all over. With his speed he would need to be absolutely elite in most other areas to make it.

We’re not going to bring a player in (Flynn) that can only play ruck and have him rucking 50% of the time. When fit, Flynn will ruck almost the entire match with a couple of spells and will rest and setup a kick behind play when the ball is in our F50 with one of our forward talls to do the ruck work there.

If he’s going to stay in the team it’s going to need to be as a KPF who can chop out in the ruck which is the role that Simmo has been at pains to say is the intention. If he can’t hold that position then it’s WAFL but a very useful back up for injury cover.

Oscar and Waterman are walk up starters. I don’t see us dropping Maric or JD. Our prefer nc rid to play three tall backs to allow Gov to zone off. Jack Williams emerging also creates competition for his spot. If everyone stays fit Bailey is not best 22.
'When fit'.........that's the issue. If Flynn wasn't injury prone I wouldn't be concerned. His track record is worrying.

'When fit'.........that's the issue. If Flynn wasn't injury prone I wouldn't be concerned. His track record is worrying.
As I said, Bailey is good ruck cover but he’s not a #1 ruck and I don’t think he’s a KPF with our relatively well stocked KPF players. That assessment might look very different at the Tigers who need KPFs and the fact that he can chop Nank out in the ruck is a bonus which would be good for their team balance. If he were to be traded we’d obviously need to look for mature ruck cover as Bailey has been this year, but if the Tigers value him and it means we can get Baker over without splitting our 1R then it’s worth exploring.

As I said, Bailey is good ruck cover but he’s not a #1 ruck and I don’t think he’s a KPF with our relatively well stocked KPF players. That assessment might look very different at the Tigers who need KPFs and the fact that he can chop Nank out in the ruck is a bonus which would be good for their team balance. If he were to be traded we’d obviously need to look for mature ruck cover as Bailey has been this year, but if the Tigers value him and it means we can get Baker over without splitting our 1R then it’s worth exploring.
I agree on exploring all options, Flynn may be a good ruckmen but injuries to athletes are just as relevant to their skill sets. If we have English or Moyle lined up sure trade Bailey but don't do it if we are counting on flynn with his history is all I'm saying

Current ruck Depth
Flynn- hasn't played yet dodgy history
Bailey- not great but always available
Jamo- nope
Barnett- years away
Livingstone- light years away

I agree on exploring all options, Flynn may be a good ruckmen but injuries to athletes are just as relevant to their skill sets. If we have English or Moyle lined up sure trade Bailey but don't do it if we are counting on flynn with his history is all I'm saying

Current ruck Depth
Jamo- nope
Barnett- years away
English will stay. Moyle or Bryan would be fine. Worst case scenario picking up the best state league ruckman available in the rookie draft would tide us over as cover until Batman or Livingstone get up to speed. As I said this is dependent on Flynn playing out the season after what was a very, very rare injury.

English will stay. Moyle or Bryan would be fine. Worst case scenario picking up the best state league ruckman available in the rookie draft would tide us over as cover until Batman or Livingstone get up to speed. As I said this is dependent on Flynn playing out the season after what was a very, very rare injury.
I really hope Flynn works out, I'm just being realistic

He wont come in and be in contention for AA. He will however come in and prevent us getting slaughtered at ruck contests every week. Hes a lot bigger lump than BW, so will be better at going against the monster ruckmen

You are either delusional or uninformed

Current ruck Depth
Jamo- nope
Barnett- years away
Theres always cheap ruckmen somewhere who can fill a role, we can easily trade out BW and then find a cheap ruckman in the PSD or for a very late pick, with the idea being they are only last resort backup.
No point holding onto BW just to have him play WAFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Bailey is complete ass like you make out and picking up a backup ruckman is so easy why has Bailey been the sole ruckman for so long Einstein?

^stallon

Interesting position to take.

I’d put forward this question:

What happens to Bailey’s role in the team in the back end of this year and 2025 when Oscar and Flynn get back?

Clearly Flynn is number 1 ruck, then Bailey is fighting for 2nd ruck spot with a player JWilliams who has better forward craft.

There is real possibility Bailey loses his spot in B22 over the next 10-12 rounds.
Not sure of Bailey losing his spot given Simpson’s match committee history. Bailey has blossomed in the ruck 2023-24 and Simmo has typically rewarded players who deliver on what he has asked them to do. We have heard Bailey was meant to be KPF but has had to be No 1 ruck due to Flynn’s injury

From what we have seen, Jack Williams looks a better KPF who can chop out compared to Bailey. That said, I’d be expecting Bailey up front for the rest of 2024. If only he could kick straight in front of goals

He wont come in and be in contention for AA. He will however come in and prevent us getting slaughtered at ruck contests every week. Hes a lot bigger lump than BW, so will be better at going against the monster ruckmen

You are either delusional or uninformed
Hahahaha how do you even know that he hasn't even played a game for us yet

Baker improves our best 22. Versatile player who fills a role either at HBF, HFF or in the middle. He’s no superstar but he’d be a good get.

I strongly doubt we offer up our 2024 FRP. I also doubt we split it.

I could see us sending our 2025 FRP if Richmond gave us their 2025 SRP back, for example. Risky…but if the club is bullish that by adding Baker, 2025 FRP, plus another preseason into Reid/Ginbey/Hewett et al gets us climbing closer to the back end of the top 8, it could be worthwhile.

For those who think we offer up Bailey for Baker, you have to go back to Sinclair to see us pushing a player out and Sinclair was out of contract.

We have in the past been very loyal to interstate players who commit to us. Only way I see Bailey becoming a Tiger is if he wants to go home. Everything I’ve heard is contrary to that - he is seen to be loving his football and loving life in Perth.

What message would the club be sending to our band of interstate youth if we are seen as asking an in-contract players to leave and go back to Prictoria?

Last edited:
For those who think we offer up Bailey for Baker, you have to go back to Sinclair to see up pushing a player out and Sinclair was out of contract.

We have in the past been very loyal to interstate players who commit to us. Only way I see Bailey becoming a Tiger is if he wants to go home. Everything I’ve heard is contrary to that - he is seen to be loving his football and loving life in Perth.

What message would the club be sending to our band of interstate youth if we are seen as asking an in-contract players to leave and go back to Prictoria?

What are you on about?

Who said anything about pushing him out?

It was a hypothetical about players Richmond may ask about.

If and it’s a huge IF anything was to happen it would be because Bailey was interested in going home not because we were pushing him out.

Last edited:
For those who think we offer up Bailey for Baker, you have to go back to Sinclair to see up pushing a player out and Sinclair was out of contract.

Very much agree with this in that the ideal time to discuss/explore trading Bailey was earlier this year pre contract (although arguably having him uncontracted would reduce his trade value). I’d hope that any trade scenario with contracted players (Bailey or otherwise) would start with something like “Richmond has expressed a strong interest in having you in their squad, we’d love to keep you at the club but if you see your longer term future in Victoria we’d be open to exploring that”.

I hope it goes without saying that any suggested trade of contracted players would be with their blessing, whether that be for list build, best 22 opportunity, home sickness or otherwise. Absolutely agree with you that once a player is contracted that is that status quo and there shouldn’t be pressure to exit the club. As a professional sporting organisation we also need to be able to respectfully and tactfully raise the possibility of player exchange/draft opportunities when they present themselves. If Bailey’s clear preference is to stay at the Eagles then that’s the end of the discussion.

If Bailey is complete ass like you make out and picking up a backup ruckman is so easy why has Bailey been the sole ruckman for so long Einstein?

^stallon
Bailey isn't ass. He's a perfectly acceptable back up ruck option.

He's unfortuantely been the sole ruckman for so long because we haven't had other options. For the last two years we have had the worst hitout differential in the league. the previous year we were second worst. These years correlate directly to Williams moving into the no. 1 ruck spot. This is not sustaiable when you don't have an elite midfield to compensate.

EDIT: Only reason we weren't last by a long way in 2022 as well was beacuse Nic Nat played 8 games and won the hitout differential in those games.

1715839199912.png

1715839055464.png
1715839086042.png
1715839107327.png

Last edited:

^stallon
We literally went out and got Flynn
Hahahaha how do you even know that he hasn't even played a game for us yet
Hes played a bunch of games over the last 2 years lmao, hes not some rookie we picked up. Go and check out how he went last year before Briggs went past him before saying dumb shit lol

Back