List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Who do you want the Eagles to select in the Mid Season Draft?

• Luke Beecken

Votes: 27 22.1%
  • Ben Hopkins

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • Trey Ruscoe

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Will McLachlan

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jacob Blight

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Jasper Scaife

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jack Hutchinson

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • Other

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Geordie Payne

Votes: 3 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

How many games can we win and still get a priority pick ?

If we win 5 this season its 10 wins in 3 years .

I think we’ve already done enough to end that debate tbh

If our players stay relatively fit, we have shown we can perform at the level of a middle rung side. That means we probably win 70%of our home games and a couple of away games.

It's likely we win 8-10 games this year, but that could still see us finish as low as 13-15 (based on last year's ladder).

If our players stay relatively fit, we have shown we can perform at the level of a middle rung side. That means we probably win 70%of our home games and a couple of away games.

It's likely we win 8-10 games this year, but that could still see us finish as low as 13-15 (based on last year's ladder).

We have H&A games against both North and St Kilda which are winnable

Plus winnable home games against Hawthorn and perhaps Gold Coast. Brisbane and Carlton whilst at home would be considered an upset

Our other away games are Adelaide, Melbourne, Essendon and Geelong which will all be a challenge particularly given our road form hasn’t been all that strong.

Plus the derby

If we get 5-7 wins from that fixture would be a very good effort. Especially if we can limit the scale of our away losses

I hope we win as many as possible.

Even if that means we are in no man's land draft wise.

But being realistic I think we win 4-6 games and get pick 3 which is an OK season (compared to poopy previous ones)

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

6 wins and a percentage of 75+, and pick 3 will be a great season.

For me, the percentage is probably more important than a couple of extra wins. I’d be happier with 4 wins and 76% than 6 wins and 60%.

It was the complete floggings that really hurt. Losing games after a sustained period of competing was fine and expected.

One issue is if Yeo goes, we won’t get compo (or it’s weaker)if we land a Free Agent.

We would be up there with salary cap space to match if we wanted to, I’ve got a feeling we are pretty confident of landing a few players. Now how does Clarke get that done and still bring in pointy end talent.

Interesting. I feel like we have a new list manager who might have come in and can’t see forest through the trees.

If we decided to take this tactic with Yeo I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves.

• he has taken less money for the good of the team when we were contending and taken less than other players who are less important to us (Gaff, Kelly).
  • he is of the view that the club is at least in part responsible for his OP and soft tissue injuries and reason he hasn’t been on park much in the last 3 years.
  • we decide to give him an offer and then reduce it
  • despite lowering the offer simmo goes on C7 with Daniels and says Yeo is our “best player”.
  • if he is our best player why low ball him?

Without a shift in what we are willing to give Yeo I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves. In his mind I wouldn’t be surprised if he feels we have shafted him one too many times.

One issue is if Yeo goes, we won’t get compo (or it’s weaker)if we land a Free Agent.

We would be up there with salary cap space to match if we wanted to, I’ve got a feeling we are pretty confident of landing a few players. Now how does Clarke get that done and still bring in pointy end talent.
Do be clear I do not want to trade Yeo, but the way you get around that is sign and trade him IF he wants to chase the $$. Sign him to a fair deal-2 years on $750k with performance bonuses with a +1 year triggered by 35 games.

If a team values him that highly then they can trade a pick worthy of the contract they are offering. $1m a year and he wants to leave? Then it will take a top 10 pick.

If Adelaide offered a wheelbarrow of money for 3 years I don't begrudge him for leaving and don't blame WC for not offering the same money or length of contract.

Elliot Yeo will still have made a fantastic contribution to the club and I'd wish him all the best.

Interesting. I feel like we have a new list manager who might have come in and can’t see forest through the trees.

If we decided to take this tactic with Yeo I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves.

• he has taken less money for the good of the team when we were contending and taken less than other players who are less important to us (Gaff, Kelly).
  • he is of the view that the club is at least in part responsible for his OP and soft tissue injuries and reason he hasn’t been on park much in the last 3 years.
  • we decide to give him an offer and then reduce it
  • despite lowering the offer simmo goes on C7 with Daniels and says Yeo is our “best player”.
  • if he is our best player why low ball him?

Without a shift in what we are willing to give Yeo I wouldn’t be surprised if he leaves. In his mind I wouldn’t be surprised if he feels we have shafted him one too many times.

...the hell do you mean by low offer was FURTHER reduced?! Who the hell are they currently paying over there to further reduce Yeo after what he's shown in the first part of this season?!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Adelaide offered a wheelbarrow of money for 3 years I don't begrudge him for leaving and don't blame WC for not offering the same money or length of contract.

Elliot Yeo will still have made a fantastic contribution to the club and I'd wish him all the best.

I'm pretty much of this school of thought. He's played 37 games in four seasons so two years with incentives is the smart play for us. If they're majorlly low balling him then I have a minor issue with that, but then again he's barely played.

Do be clear I do not want to trade Yeo, but the way you get around that is sign and trade him IF he wants to chase the $$. Sign him to a fair deal-2 years on $750k with performance bonuses with a +1 year triggered by 35 games.

If a team values him that highly then they can trade a pick worthy of the contract they are offering. $1m a year and he wants to leave? Then it will take a top 10 pick.

This doesn’t happen.

The primary reason Elliot is in high demand is he is a UFA and doesn’t require draft capital.

There is a big difference between using your salary cap to get a player for on draft capital and willingness to part with draft capital for a trade.

This doesn’t happen.

The primary reason Elliot is in high demand is he is a UFA and doesn’t require draft capital.

There is a big difference between using your salary cap to get a player for on draft capital and willingness to part with draft capital for a trade.
Agreed. Point I was making is that is the only way around it. Yeo would have to be on board knowing that the destination club may pull the offer.

One scenario he finishes his career as a premiership Eagle on a good and fair contract, the other he leaves but gives the club the ultimate parting gift. Champion either way.

I just really hope we’re not low balling him with money, I think the 2 years +1 is very reasonable though.

Yeo’s manager was on radio (I think ABC) about 2-3 weeks or so ago and said with Pyke and Clarke both settling in to their respective roles he understood they wanted to see how things progressed a little before getting stuck into negotiations. At the time he didn’t seem too perturbed and expressed Yeo was keen to stay

Maybe with the latest injury setback, Yeo is a bit more impatient about getting something sorted so his manager is using the media to put a bit of pressure on the club. As well as giving opposition clubs the carrot he might be gettable with the right offer

And maybe the club is holding off offering a better contract until they see more evidence he can stay on the park. Which would be prudent

Feels like a manager just trying to push things along a little.

Agreed. Point I was making is that is the only way around it. Yeo would have to be on board knowing that the destination club may pull the offer.

One scenario he finishes his career as a premiership Eagle on a good and fair contract, the other he leaves but gives the club the ultimate parting gift. Champion either way.

I just really hope we’re not low balling him with money, I think the 2 years +1 is very reasonable though.

Yes, in theory I agree. It doesn’t even require a contract, just Yeo not exercising his free agency (see Gunston to Brisbane).

The issue is once it becomes a trade, the market for Yeo dissipates.

Not sure other teams do that. They are offering the money because they have it in their salary cap and don’t have to trade for him?

Not sure other teams do that. They are offering the money because they have it in their salary cap and don’t have to trade for him?
Correct, as you and Dom sheed pocket have pointed out but the ONLY way not to get a watered down FA compo is by signing him. I wasn’t saying he’d agree to it.

Weird Adelaide want yeo, we wanted Curtin last year and they got involved and muddied it up. Im making those campaigners work for yeo

How about we let yeo go for peanuts, it would be doing the right thing by him so he can chase another flag and hopefully earn a lot while doing so, we aren’t in a position where we need to give huge contracts to ageing players who are injury prone. The compensation doesn’t even move the needle as Tim English fa move here will negate any. Since we are chasing English and lose yeo we probably need another mature body in the midfield and I think Chad Warner 2025 FA is something we can work towards but in the mean time maybe there’s a mature body we can get in the msd doing decently to replace (albeit not to his level) yeo, with the ultimate goal of replacing him with Warner

Guys groins are a ticking time bomb. It appears WC may have finally learned not to overpay player's who spend more time in rehab than on the ground.
Thank him for his service and wish him well at Adelaide is what we should do imo

Back