List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

What should we do with our 1st round draft pick?

• Finn O’Sullivan

Votes: 24 34.3%
  • Sid Draper

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Josh Smillie

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Jagga Smith

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Split for best mid and Tobie Travaglia

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Split for best mid and Liam Baker

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best mid and best KPD

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Split for best two mids

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Sorry but considering where our list is at and the fact we realistically aren't contending for a flag any time soon, anything more than junk picks for Baker would be too much. Would rather we do things like Jayden Hunt for SFA to fill the list gaps as we restock through the draft. Would be happy to part with a high pick for say Chad Warner but that also realistically ain't happening.
Don’t be sorry I 100% agree with you, have consistently said we shouldn’t trade for him unless a willing player swap that all parties happy with. I’d much rather put games into Hall, Culley, Hewett etc than trading picks for a 27 year old then playing him at the expense of the kids.

What would Baker realistically bring?
Hes a senior player who is ok to good at footy and has some leadership qualities, we are hardly lacking in these areas this year, Duggan and Tb cover the backline, Oscar and Waterman can cover the fwd line and Kelly along with some Duggan can provide leadership in the midfield in the medium term. I expect Flynn can bring something here too being an older player around a very young midfield.
Hes too small to put his body on the line to cover for the young guys through the midfield like Yeo/Duggan types can.
This year in the Tigers midfield hes shown that hes an ok midfielder, but nothing special. Definitely wont need him in the front half and our backline is very solid, only need a tall to replace Gov and a young, quick distributor in the next 2 years, neither of which Baker is.
With how the teams going this year I dont see the point in Baker. Worth a 3rd round pick or a fringe player

Hey team BF

If we are seeing too many posts about one subject spread over multiple threads PLEASE report it.

We’ll deal with it from there. 🤝🏽

Thank you 🙏🏽

I don't think suckling is a very good comparison. Suckling was an absolutley elite kick, a decent mark, could read the play well but was slow.

(From memory) Kaleb Smith is lightening fast, a generally good kick but could be a tad erratic and a pretty good at intercepting behind the ball but otherwise weak defensively.

Maybe Hind from Essendon or D'Ambrosio from Hawks better suited for style??
Maybe I didn't explain clearly. In reference to suckling it was that both are pretty average defenders but you take the hit because of their offensive capabilities.

Haven’t seen much of him but others here seem big on him. If he’s literally Tigers delist zone then I’m overvaluing him and consider the deal pulled.
He is not on their delist pile at all .

He is in the exact same situation as Bergiel. First year ruined by injury now building in the VFL/WaFL to hopefully get a debut before seasons end .

Young kids with afl qualities but need time to develop.

Some kids take the slow curve up to AFL level . They can't all be first year ready to go players .

What would Baker realistically bring?
Hes a senior player who is ok to good at footy and has some leadership qualities, we are hardly lacking in these areas this year, Duggan and Tb cover the backline, Oscar and Waterman can cover the fwd line and Kelly along with some Duggan can provide leadership in the midfield in the medium term. I expect Flynn can bring something here too being an older player around a very young midfield.
Hes too small to put his body on the line to cover for the young guys through the midfield like Yeo/Duggan types can.
This year in the Tigers midfield hes shown that hes an ok midfielder, but nothing special. Definitely wont need him in the front half and our backline is very solid, only need a tall to replace Gov and a young, quick distributor in the next 2 years, neither of which Baker is.
With how the teams going this year I dont see the point in Baker. Worth a 3rd round pick or a fringe player
I think he'd bring toughness, experience, versatility and leadership; qualities that you can never have enough of. "Ok to good at footy" is selling him a bit short - he's been top 6 in their B+F for the last four years and would be in our best dozen players.

He reminds me of another 27 year old that was brought in to a young Eagles team on the rise - Daniel Chick.

We have spots on the HFF, wing and HBF that are entirely up for grabs. Cripps is 32 and the likes of Witherden, Rotham and Petch have been getting plenty of games but have less than certain long term futures.

I'd be reluctant to part with high picks given our need for young talent. However, if Bailey Williams were to seek a to return to Victoria it would be a no-brainer swap.

We have Barnett, JWill and Archer Reid in the wings as ruck or ruck/forward options. Nankervis is about to turn 30 and Lynch can't stay on the park.

I think he'd bring toughness, experience, versatility and leadership; qualities that you can never have enough of. "Ok to good at footy" is selling him a bit short - he's been top 6 in their B+F for the last four years and would be in our best dozen players.

He reminds me of another 27 year old that was brought in to a young Eagles team on the rise - Daniel Chick.
Yeah hes solid, but we have players with those qualities already, if he was 2 years younger id think differently, if he had the same or similar physicality of Daniel Chick thatd be a different story. Baker cant protect the young guys, all our young mids are twice his size lol.
We have spots on the HFF, wing and HBF that are entirely up for grabs. Cripps is 32 and the likes of Witherden, Rotham and Petch have been getting plenty of games but have less than certain long term futures.
Do we have an urgent need to fill those spots though? Whats our timeline to be some sort of real threat? 3+ years when baker is in his 30s?

From the team named this week, in the next 2-3 years we probably need to replace Darling, Yeo, Sheed, Gov, Cripps, Witho, JJ and Rotham.
The logical replacements in my opinion are:
Allen for Darling
a real winger for Yeo to let Ginbey play Yeos role full time
2 of Buss/Bazzo/HEdwards for Gov/Rotham
Culley/Hall/2024 1st pick mid for Sheed
Hewett for JJ as a HFF/mid
Long for Cripps
then we just need a Witho replacement.

Most of those guys will still be on the list next year too, so whats the rush? Doubt any of them retire, itll be the ones we delist who go, and we dont have to delist them if we need them to fill a role.
May as well go find some elite talent in the draft or for cheaper than Richmond would be expecting

Im not against getting him at all, but dont see the point in overpaying for a guy we dont need.
The time to bring in a guy like Baker is 2 years from now imo, he will be too old by them though. I feel like he would just take a spot off a younger player

The narrative around baker has changed dramatically around here recently.
He'd bring toughness,leadership, experience, premiership experience. He'd bridge the gap between the yeos, govs to to youngsters

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with all of this, however I think his value is also inflated because he’s basically Richmond’s only decent/fit player.

Our 2nd should be enough for what he offers on field as a utility.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Here I give my thoughts on how things are shaping up in the years AFL National Draft. I cover:

• High level thoughts on the pool (depth, strength and composition)
  • My top 20 prospects pre-champs
  • Predictions for the champs series and some players to look out for

Trying something new here so thanks for watching and I hope its a worthwhile exercise.

Why would you want to get rid of cole ? Hard nut small defenders with pace to shut down dangerous small forwards are very had to get . Look how much better our defence is this year with him and hough locking down
Both can play on smalls n balls.
Quick and tough. Both have great ticker

I like CJ as a potential tall defender but did you see HE today? He's coming on leaps and bounds, back from his injury.
HE false dawn? We’ve seen this before… same with CJ. Both injury prone big blokes who bring different attributes. In time they may both make it into the big leagues consistently, but I’d think more likely neither make it to 100 games

I've zero interest in Baker. It's a classic case of buying high and that's not good list management.

He's also a small who's thrived in a very different system to our own and has a backward of centre bias to his game with limited defensive accountability above his head.

I'd be targetting the 22-24 year age bracket.

HE false dawn? We’ve seen this before… same with CJ. Both injury prone big blokes who bring different attributes. In time they may both make it into the big leagues consistently, but I’d think more likely neither make it to 100 games
I'm actually pretty confident, if both are given an extended injury free run, both will develop further and could make it mate.

They have complimentary attributes too.

Last edited:
Certainly wouldn't want Baker taking up too much salary cap space or costing too much trade pick wise but he would add significant value in the short team. Kelly's best footy is slowly passing him and yeo possibly has 2 years left as an eagle or a few months realistically. Removing yeo and Kelly's best and you've dumped a hell of a lot of pressure on reuben and harley.

On the flip side of this assuming we don't take Baker is there a possibility duggan can slip into the midfield as the harden inside mid and maric take his back flank position. Marics big enough to take intercept marks and I'd love to see him rack up big possessions and take kick outs with gov

As of right now our round 2 for Baker is too much for us and too little for Richmond. Maybe r2 a fringe trade and we get there round3 back

Don’t be sorry I 100% agree with you, have consistently said we shouldn’t trade for him unless a willing player swap that all parties happy with. I’d much rather put games into Hall, Culley, Hewett etc than trading picks for a 27 year old then playing him at the expense of the kids.

He'd make first 22. I'm not that blinkered about that. But the capital we'd have to part with (likely a top 20 pick or so) means it's not worth it. He's not THAT good and he's not in an area of need either. There are plenty of others not quite as good as Baker that we can target for peanuts to help protect and guide our youngsters as they develop (eg Jayden Hunt scenario), that's who we should be going for.

I am sure our drafting and recruiting team will do the right thing.

The narrative around baker has changed dramatically around here recently.
He'd bring toughness,leadership, experience, premiership experience. He'd bridge the gap between the yeos, govs to to youngsters

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

If he was available for a third rounder, sure.

But he won't be.

I've zero interest in Baker. It's a classic case of buying high and that's not good list management.

He's also a small who's thrived in a very different system to our own and has a backward of centre bias to his game with limited defensive accountability above his head.

I'd be targetting the 22-24 year age bracket.

Hear Hear Cheers GIF - Hear Hear Cheers Listen - Discover ...

When is the last time we landed a good player with our 2nd round pick btw. Way too much value on it. If we trade a 2nd rounder, gotta use pick 60 and then pick up Noah Long instead of a Coby Burgiel, im a happy Chappy myself
Brady Hough in 2021 was a pretty good one. 2022 and certainly 2023 a bit early to tell.

Back