List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Personally I don’t think pick 19 will hold the same currency this year, certainly as it did last year, due to the perceived lack of depth in the draft.

Is there a player in that range you can see clubs climbing over themselves to trade to if available?
The depth issue I believe is after about pick 40. I did a calibration exercise with Monocle Eastcoasteagle and there were very good prospects well into the late 20’s and early 30’s

There is an evenness from 12 to 18 and there could well be a slip. Someone left who a club and rate at 15 would be worth a contending club offering a future 1.

Is The Poo a pie man type pick?

Historically no. But he did pick Culley in the MSD and this is his final draft plus our list is in a very different place than the past 10 years.

If Busslinger is still there at 8/9 I cant see us passing.

Then one of Hewett, Phillapou or Ginbey at 12.

Two of Ginbey, Szybowski, Hotton, Hollands, Keller at 19 and 20

One of Barnett Darcy Jones, Jacob Ryan at 26

Thats 5 picks

My dream draft

8 Busslinger
12 Phillapou
15 Hewett
20 Hotton
26 Barnett

2, Rioli and 40.

For 8, 12, 15 and a F2nd (North or GWS)

And Warldaw might not be as good as many think he is. Just as much chance he will be a solid AFL mid rather than the elite midfielder some on here are desperate to find.

He's a strong kid but not huge. He is most definitely stronger than most u18's and that likely won't translate into to top level. He will go from one of the strongest to a player of average size and strength at AFL level. He isn't a massive accumulator either.

So people who are so certain he is the one only have one eye open.
He might not be, but all I’m saying is he’s an option. All these other clubs have to get it done or bust. I’d be disappointed if we let go of such a strong bargaining position for a run of the mill return given we aren’t the ones pushing for a deal. If we don’t rate Wardlaw then sure, trade down, but don’t make that common knowledge (and it seems we already potentially have), we’ll f*ck ourselves over

If roles were reversed you’d be sure as heck that Port wouldn’t do us any favours and Geelong have shown that sometimes being a campaigner works.

Historically no. But he did pick Culley in the MSD and this is his final draftplusour list is in a very different place than thepast 10 years.

Thats 5 picks

My dream draft

8 Busslinger
12 Phillapou
15 Hewett
20 Hotton
26 Barnett

2, Rioli and 40.

I have a feeling Busslinger might end up at Geelong. Saw an article yesterday with Joel Selwood talking him up and saying he hopes Geelong pick him up. Be interesting to see who they took if it’s a choice between him and local boy Clark

I have a feeling Busslinger might end up at Geelong. Saw an article yesterday with Joel Selwood talking him up and saying he hopes Geelong pick him up. Be interesting to see who they took if it’s a choice between him and local boy Clark
Gold Coast will take him at 5

I think we'll end up with McKenzie, Hewett & Ginbey at 8, 12 & 15

If the deal goes the way we want it

Why not let someone else put 2 years of development into Clark and then walk him back to Geelong on the cheap after his first contract? Seems to be working well for them so far.

What if... we sign Busslinger with pick 2.

That'll show em
Egjsx3_XYAYkFAz.jpg

Historically no. But he did pick Culley in the MSD and this is his final draft plus our list is in a very different place than the past 10 years.

Thats 5 picks

My dream draft

8 Busslinger
12 Phillapou
15 Hewett
20 Hotton
26 Barnett

2, Rioli and 40.

Give me Mackenzie/Humphrey at pick 8 instead of Busslinger and I'd be happy with that haul.

And the first pick on night 2 can be very valuable as it can do one of two things.

• It can get you a F1 with Clubs really wanting player x and will forego their future first for that player.
The depth issue I believe is after about pick 40. I did a calibration exercise with Monocle Eastcoasteagle and there were very good prospects well into the late 20’s and early 30’s

There is an evenness from 12 to 18 and there could well be a slip. Someone left who a club and rate at 15 would be worth a contending club offering a future 1.

The criteria for a club to trade a future first pick in next years draft for a 12-18 prospect in this draft, when considering comparable draft quality and if there are very good prospects to the late 20s/early 30s I think would be small.

Id go as far as saying it would have to be a club with either multiple picks (GWS), or a team that is likely to finish quite high next year in the latter case we’d probably be better off just trying to negotiate for future currency now. In my opinion it’d take busslinger sliding and a club desperate for a KPD for it to be considered.

Obviously, just an alternate opinion and no issues with any disagreement.

Would it be worth chucking in a pick to get into the first round next year?

Something like

WC out 2, 26, Rioli for 8,12, future 1st (port)

Give me Mackenzie/Humphrey at pick 8 instead of Busslinger and I'd be happy with that haul.

I agree ☝️

I’d also take a risk on Keeler at 26 if he was still available over Barnett. He could easily be a bust but by all reports if he gets it together could be an absolute steal. You’d also be pairing him with another SA boy so hopefully that would reduce the go home factor somewhat

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My dream draft
8 Busslinger
12 Phillapou
15 Hewett
20 Hotton
26 Barnett

Obeanie1 channeling the late John Lennon

Everybody had a hard year
Everybody had a good time
Everybody had a wet dream

That would certainly be an amazing haul.

I just want us to keep pick 2 and draft Cadman. Easy we win.

All this lowball pick 8 and 12 can go and die in the fire it belongs.

To even mention Rioli in it makes me sick. F**K I hate trade week. So many dumb journalist and fake deals thrown around. All it shows is how far back we've gone that even our recruitment is a laughing stock of the comp that deals like this are even thrown around at us to think it's acceptable.

Keep pick 2 and draft Cadman.
Rioli for a 2nd rnd pick

Done we win trade week.
I'd love Cadman too, but feel now GWS have showed their clear intent in him. When they want a draftee they don't stop until they get him, they've got a lot of draft capital to play with too.
Norf will trade pick 1 with a bumper offer. If I was Norf I'd do 1 for 3 and 12 in a heartbeat.

A lot of comments about the proposed trades saying "I could live with that" or "that's fair enough".

Pick 2 and Rioli for 8, 12 and Ports first rounder for next year is ordinary IMO.

I reckon we should just tell the clubs unless they offer something exceptional, don't waste our time.
I'd do 8, 12 and Ports future first for Willie and 2 in a heartbeat. Great deal.

For 8 and 12, no way. That's simply not enough.

I’d do that and be very happy

Draft hand of 8, 12, 15, 20 and 26 plus 40 (would probably spell farewell to Witherden Winder Trew and West)

Allow us to get a great mixture of mids, a tall and a defender

I would also be prepared to take port’s future R1 instead of 15.

Yes I believe 2023 is stronger and I rarely say that. I am worried Simmo and our development coaches might struggle to bring on 5 top end talents along with what we got last year
Id be happy to develop west as a tagger and work hard on his disposal or get him to handball more

I don't understand all the melting on splitting pick 2

We literally have the worst list under 23 years old. We need quality and quantity

Trading pick 2 and Rioli for 8, 12 and something else is a huge win

5 picks in the top 26 is a great place to be

Plus I have zero faith that ROB will nail pick 2!!
Agree with your sentiment, but deal needs to be improved.

8 and 12 roughly worth pick 2.

So means we're giving Rioli for free.

I'd do 8, 12 and Ports future first for Willie and 2 in a heartbeat. Great deal.

For 8 and 12, no way. That's simply not enough.

Yeah 8 & 12 on there own would not have me doing the trade.

As others have rightly pointed out unless it’s “overs” neither North or Us are going to green light any trade proposals.

Even if North are in we can still hold our ground.

GWS must know that both North and us are giving serious consideration to Cadman…… they obviously have a hard on for him and TBH the fit makes a lot of sense for them.

If JHF goes then with 2&3 North get his replacement in Wardlaw and then they go BPA.

The other point worth noting “IF” we somehow managed to get three picks in this years first round, when you add that to us having used last years first, then we are not only square with the use of minimum first round draft picks in a four year period, but we are then ahead of it.

Which then gives us the flexibility to trade our first rounder in either of the next two years. That allows us to be “player specific” in targeting OOC players that hit the market in future years.

Additionally and a very long shot would also be, that if we got three first rounders, then we could keep one of them and be able to pitch a deal to Melbourne to either, genuinely get Jackson or to ensure that The Unwashed are forced to substantially jack up their offer to Melbourne.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back