List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion, 2023: Picks 1,20,34,39,53 ,58

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players

Link to Lore ’s excellent draft order thread that is updated to reflect current ladder positions

Last edited:
It's about timing though.

We traded in Cripps, Yeo, and TK. Before that it was Stenglein and Chick. All at a much later stage than we are right now. Remember North of the 90s? Abraham, Pike, Laidley, and a heap of others? They wouldn't have done f-all without Carey, and to a lesser extent Stevo, McKernan, Schwass, Simmo.

We are not ready to trade in mature players unless they are direct replacements for current senior players. Taylor, Collica, Merenda, Prior, Carroll etc. Lots of other teams have tried it and it doesn't work unless you have that core group of elite players in place.

Which further goes to show: A core group of elite players is the most important thing in building a flag side.
The games changed alot since then however. Melbourne traded a few of those well before the rebuild was completed. The players were just of the right age model to come in is all (Lever, Langdon, Tomlinson being the main 3) . I think we need to grab our version of those 3 but because of the fact we need to cart a few old horses into the paddock extra early we need to do it in one year

Good news for us I feel is the list of proposed players in this realm is a fairly decent crop with both a long future and a skillset we require. Robertson gives us the tough tackling we need as does Dow. Jeremy Sharp would give us the winger who can drift to HBF which is missing and then Mitch Georgiades can provide the LOLs as well as a good free option

Dev Robertson should be a target. Will come cheap and more willing to have a crack than any of our mids. Might not be polished, but can’t be worse than Gaff/Sheed squawking for cheap kicks on the outside of a contest.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He would want to get out of Brisbane . He played reasonably well since coming in but they bring in their 2nd father son fletcher stick him on the wing and dev gets relegated to the defensive forward role .

Devs best position is the redden role of the accountable midfielder who sets up defensively and runs both ways .

Dev is behind neale , dunkley , ashcroft ,Berry for on ball and rayner , mccluggage, McCarthy and now fletcher for wing with another ashcroft coming through next year .

Give them a future 4th and actually play him in the middle

The games changed alot since then however. Melbourne traded a few of those well before the rebuild was completed. The players were just of the right age model to come in is all (Lever, Langdon, Tomlinson being the main 3) . I think we need to grab our version of those 3 but because of the fact we need to cart a few old horses into the paddock extra early we need to do it in one year

Good news for us I feel is the list of proposed players in this realm is a fairly decent crop with both a long future and a skillset we require. Robertson gives us the tough tackling we need as does Dow. Jeremy Sharp would give us the winger who can drift to HBF which is missing and then Mitch Georgiades can provide the LOLs as well as a good free option

For Lever, Melbourne give up this year’s No.10 draft selection, plus two future picks, a first round selection and fourth round choice in 2018. In return, Melbourne obtained Lever, selection No.35 in this year’s NAB AFL Draft and a future third round pick for 2018.

We're nowhere near the position in the cycle that Melbourne were. You can't get Jake Lever types with 3rd draft picks. Happy to get Dev to add some defence and accountability to a midfield with downhill skiers TK and Sheed. Brockman looks like he'll have a good career. Dow and Sharp are not strong enough players to stop the rot. Dow is like Dom Sheed with a hair transplant.

For Lever, Melbourne give up this year’s No.10 draft selection, plus two future picks, a first round selection and fourth round choice in 2018. In return, Melbourne obtained Lever, selection No.35 in this year’s NAB AFL Draft and a future third round pick for 2018.

We're nowhere near the position in the cycle that Melbourne were. You can't get Jake Lever types with 3rd draft picks. Happy to get Dev to add some defence and accountability to a midfield with downhill skiers TK and Sheed. Brockman looks like he'll have a good career. Dow and Sharp are not strong enough players to stop the rot. Dow is like Dom Sheed with a hair transplant.
Oh for sure. Thats to be done in Free agency IMHO with Tim English or Naughton getting mega contracts from us

We are in the Tomlinson/Langdon/Hibberd part of all that

Slow day and I am emotional because of the weekend. Here is my crack at a dream off season so I am mentally not in the here and now.

Re-sign Culley
ink Long to a long term deal
Give TB the armband and tell anyone who is sniffing around him to F off - WC will never trade him guys so don't even entertain it
Guarantee Barnett some game time in 2024 - must be tough being the only kid in WAFL every week, especially since he has been showing some signs
Transition Sheed to a fwd role and Yeo to the backline. Both maintaining some midfield minutes
Tell Shuey 2024 is your last year - You've been a gem and if you can give us 13 or so games as a back up mid that'd be grand
Be patient with Chesser and give him the time he needs if thats AFL or WAFL. I think we can all see a player in there - The same for H.Edwards had a horrible run with injury but I think he has talent
Tell Waterman, Petch, L.Edwards 2024 is your last crack. Lift or go/become full-time WAFL players.
Play new draftees in 2024 over the likes of Clark, Rotham, West, SPS

Start trading.

You reckon the Dees would take Darling and pick 19 for Van Rooyen and 27? I don't buy into Darling having no value at all, I could see him bag 40+ goals in a good side like Melbourne who need fwds. We should move him on though, his play has gone stale at our club and our terrible team form isn't going to help him get back to his best. A change of scenery would be good for both parties surely? Van Rooyen gets to come home.

Robertson for pick 38 seems to be the general consensus. A good trade for mine - take it and run.

Gaff and Witherden get traded for whatever 2nd or 3rd rounders we can get. I've picked Witherden because we have so many backman, just so many bloody backman, and I feel like a) he has the most value of the spuds and b) a Melb club (Richmond perhaps?) could get the best out of him and his agressive kicking. I think Ross Lyon could see Gaff as a good buy after watching him torch freo for so many years whilst also be arrogant enough to believe he could turn Gaff around, so I have him going to the saints. Might be a bit rocky at first with the Gaff/Brayshaw incident but crazier things have happened.

Gaff is one of my all time favs, but like Darling his game has gone stale and he does not deserve to fade away, so he should and needs to make a move. Whether its for us or not, would love nothing more than to see Gaff have a good season next year and shove it up to the media.

We somehow convince Georgiades to come to WA and pick him up in the PSD. I could get behind a fwd line of Allen, Van Rooyen and Georgiades, it may be on the smaller side, but all are pretty athletic. Mix in Long, Ryan and the newly drafted Reid with Cripps as the senior head, could be good.

Hurn and NN retire - Thank you both for your many years of service, you are heroes
Foley, O'Neil, Winder and Trew delisted. For whatever reason just not working, Trew a bit unlcuky.

All that would make for a busy off season, so I don't expect much more to occur even though our list needs it. Just quietly I'd love a cheeky trade of our future first round pick for Sam Taylor or something but that contradicts what the club are saying about building through the draft.

Out = 9
Gaff - 31yrs
Darling -31
Witherden - 24
Hurn - 35
NN - 33
O'Neil
Foley
Winder
Trew

In = 9
Van Rooyen - 20yrs
Robertson - 21
Georgiades - 21
Reid - 18
pick 27 (van rooyen trade)
pick 33 (from saints - gaff trade)
pick 36 (our pick)
pick 43 (from richmond - witherden trade)
pick 47 (from port - trade down on draft night with our picks 54+57)

In the unlikely sceanrio this all goes ahead our starting team, if fit, could look like this I guess?

1687739034328.png

How many wins does this team get? 6-8 if effort is there or 1-2 if not?

If there was a 31 year old KB who is a gun when on the field but has played 40 of the last 80 due to injury and preparation, would we be happy to give him 600+ and two years to come across?

Given where our list is the answer would be, WHY?!?!?

If there was a 31 year old HF who is ok when on the field but has played 56 of the last 80 due to injury and preparation, would we be happy to give him 300+ and two years to come across?

Given where our list is the answer would be, WHY?!?!?

So why the hell are we re-signing McGovern and Cripps.

No to Bonner (meh) and Georgiadis (not off the ACL reco)

We could get Brockman and Granger barrass and hawks first round pick (3) if we offered up pick one.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Grainger barass isn’t worth a trade in the top 60 let alone tacking him onto anything to do with pick 1

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

An update on a few of the names that have been thrown around as players to get in:

My opinion on them.

Dow - is a spud 🥔, sure he runs all day but then his ball use is questionable as is his ability to read the play…. but yes he does run all day. Pass

Sharp - I watched a half of Gold Coast v Box Hill, with checking Sharps game out in mind. Pretty ordinary game and I certainly wouldn’t be entertaining the idea of trading anything much for him. He may well be delisted, as I can’t see the Suns being offered much for him. Would be on a par with West and better than Trew and Winders output. Not fussed if it was PSD maybe depending on who we have already dumped. I don’t see him as being much better than Joshua Brown who runs around at the Beagles. Sharp does have more upside but I have always questioned that fact that he squibs it too often for me to value him as high as other do.
Just comes across as one of those sulky , moody players.

Dev - I have watched three of his games this year, an upgrade on XON, Clark and West. Ports third rounder would be about on the mark for me. Would be happy to give him second chance, no real shame being kept out of the Lions team as their depth is impressive. Pursue in a trade.

Georgiades- coming off a knee injury and surplus to requirements now that we have Maric. Mitch has always had talent but the two major knocks on him are IMO, injury prone and lack of consistency. Pass.

I don’t see a whole lot of benefit of picking over other Clubs seconds or injury prone players.

Whilst not a superstar players like Hunt are the standard as a minimum that we should be chasing.

James Jordan from Melbourne is exactly the sort of player we should be targeting.

As hard as it is we just have remain strategic in our list rebuild, keep going to the draft and don’t bring in players over 24 and or other Clubs list cloggers.

This approach may take a little longer, but in the fullness of time, it will produce a list that could challenge and not just improve and have us sitting mid table for a decade.

The Club has a mountain of work to do to get this list back in any sort of state to be firstly competitive and then a challenger.

We are, sadly, looking for a four year stint in s**t city.

Give TB the armband and tell anyone who is sniffing around him to F off - WC will never trade him guys so don't even entertain it
Surely the only one in the conversation for captain is Oscar? I'd be trading TB if Sydney wants to give up their first pick.

Tell Shuey 2024 is your last year - You've been a gem and if you can give us 13 or so games as a back up mid that'd be grand
I'd be telling him in round 20 that he has 3 games left in his career.
Be patient with Chesser and give him the time he needs if thats AFL or WAFL.
He's got 3-4 seasons. It's hard to play in such a bad team.

Tell Waterman, Petch, L.Edwards 2024 is your last crack. Lift or go/become full-time WAFL players.
Edwards doesn't get enough footy. The other two are in the mix for best 22. We delist them when better players come along.

Play new draftees in 2024 over the likes of Clark, Rotham, West, SPS
Pretty sure they will be doing that.
Start trading.

You reckon the Dees would take Darling and pick 19 for Van Rooyen and 27?
Nope.
Gaff and Witherden get traded for whatever 2nd or 3rd rounders we can get.
I can't see any club being interested in Gaff. I would delist him and pay him out, and then let him play at beagles.

We somehow convince Georgiades to come to WA and pick him up in the PSD. I could get behind a fwd line of Allen, Van Rooyen and Georgiades, it may be on the smaller side, but all are pretty athletic. Mix in Long, Ryan and the newly drafted Reid with Cripps as the senior head, could be good.

Hurn and NN retire - Thank you both for your many years of service, you are heroes
Foley, O'Neil, Winder and Trew delisted. For whatever reason just not working, Trew a bit unlcuky.

All that would make for a busy off season, so I don't expect much more to occur even though our list needs it. Just quietly I'd love a cheeky trade of our future first round pick for Sam Taylor or something but that contradicts what the club are saying about building through the draft.

Out = 9
Gaff - 31yrs
Darling -31
Witherden - 24
Hurn - 35
NN - 33
O'Neil
Foley
Winder
Trew

In = 9
Van Rooyen - 20yrs
Robertson - 21
Georgiades - 21
Reid - 18
pick 27 (van rooyen trade)
pick 33 (from saints - gaff trade)
pick 36 (our pick)
pick 43 (from richmond - witherden trade)
pick 47 (from port - trade down on draft night with our picks 54+57)

You're trying to build a team in one off season.

We have:

pre 2021: Oscar, Barrass
2021: Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, Williams
2022: Culley, Ginbey, Hewitt, Barnett, Burgiel, Long
2023: Maric, 1, 19, 36, 38, 55, 57, 75
2024: approx 5 picks with probable top 5 pick
2025: approx 5 picks with probable top 5 pick

That's about 28 players. Some don't make it. Some current players not listed do make it. We trade a few expats in who can play.

Despite what is happening on field, our rebuild is tracking fine. Our issue is going to be with the senior players. Can they snap out of their malaise and help mentor and transition the younger players?

In the unlikely sceanrio this all goes ahead our starting team, if fit, could look like this I guess?

View attachment 1722587

How many wins does this team get? 6-8 if effort is there or 1-2 if not?
Why do you want 6-8 wins next year? Build the list. make sure we have senior players who can help young players transition into stars.

It looks like we had no one nominated for the ruck ? Ginbey couldn't have contested without giving away a free

That’s how I saw it too.

First year player lacking a little feel for the game (not nominating, then taking the ‘stay clear’ instruction from the umpire too literally) - it is mildly disappointing but it happens to top clubs also.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The clubs position seems to be very complex, I think those that just blame an individual employee (coach) or player are taking a very simplistic view of the clubs issues both on field and off.

Is it the CEO, the Coach-Coaches, Football Manager/football department , S&C, list management, PR team not to mention the board seemingly in dream land about how we will just turn it around.

I personally think it’s long overdue that the band aid is ripped off and and a full independent review of the club takes place. The board needs a full report on its off field and on field issues so it can move forward.

Sack the coach, well that’s going to happen at some point it always does in a rebuild but I think there are other underlying issues which need to be addressed so the club can move forward. Sack the coach just means it buys time for other underperforming employees and creates a side show. It’s happened at Carlton now for 2 decades.

The worry for me is that we aren’t actually at rock bottom just yet and the longer the board holds it’s line of nothing to see here everything is fine, the bigger the hole the club will find itself in.

Last edited:
I think we're at rock bottom. I also think it will last for 2 years.
It could get worse yet I think people thought we were at rock bottom last year.
Another 4 or so 100 point losses could be around the corner and if players become disgruntled and want out, staff seem to be going into self preservation mode, it could potentially get worse.

He would want to get out of Brisbane . He played reasonably well since coming in but they bring in their 2nd father son fletcher stick him on the wing and dev gets relegated to the defensive forward role .

Devs best position is the redden role of the accountable midfielder who sets up defensively and runs both ways .

Dev is behind neale , dunkley , ashcroft ,Berry for on ball and rayner , mccluggage, McCarthy and now fletcher for wing with another ashcroft coming through next year .

Give them a future 4th and actually play him in the middle
Dev is behind Neale, Dunkley, Ashcroft, Zorko, McCluggage and Bailey for inside minutes.

Berry plays wing because his left shoulder is stuffed. He only gets thrown on ball when we play Melbourne.

Levi Ashcroft will come in and replace Zorko, as a mid forward.

We have two academy kids who are basically clones of Robertson, but are better kick, one in the 2024 draft, one in the 2025 draft.

Surely the only one in the conversation for captain is Oscar? I'd be trading TB if Sydney wants to give up their first pick.

I'd be telling him in round 20 that he has 3 games left in his career.

He's got 3-4 seasons. It's hard to play in such a bad team.

Edwards doesn't get enough footy. The other two are in the mix for best 22. We delist them when better players come along.

Pretty sure they will be doing that.

Nope.

I can't see any club being interested in Gaff. I would delist him and pay him out, and then let him play at beagles.

You're trying to build a team in one off season.

We have:

pre 2021: Oscar, Barrass
2021: Chesser, Hough, Bazzo, Williams
2022: Culley, Ginbey, Hewitt, Barnett, Burgiel, Long
2023: Maric, 1, 19, 36, 38, 55, 57, 75
2024: approx 5 picks with probable top 5 pick
2025: approx 5 picks with probable top 5 pick

That's about 28 players. Some don't make it. Some current players not listed do make it. We trade a few expats in who can play.

Despite what is happening on field, our rebuild is tracking fine. Our issue is going to be with the senior players. Can they snap out of their malaise and help mentor and transition the younger players?

Why do you want 6-8 wins next year? Build the list. make sure we have senior players who can help young players transition into stars.

I agree that our current rebuild is tracking fine the kids we have gotten over the past two drafts are doing well plus a few extra studs in the mid 20s as you noted. I think we can shuffle a few cards though this offseason to try and help snap the senior players out of that malaise whilst injecting more youth.

Would not be against Oscar being skipper at all he did a great job when he had it. Just sounds like it is lined up for TB in my opinion.

I think with Shuey both options make sense haha If he retires that is fair as he can't stay on the park. But he clearly loves the club so if he stays, he can fill in when needed and guide the kids.

Not for it, but 6-8 wins still has you in 14th-16th at the end of the year, so top five draft picks and high end talent + your kids can get to know what winning tastes like.

Disagree on me trying to build a new team in one off season though. I don't think shifting 3 players out in the trade period is too unrealistic. Keeping one of Shuey or Gaff on, trading Darling for a like-for-like is all part of easing the transition. Three or so delistings and 2 or so retirmemts seems standard as well

I think we're at rock bottom. I also think it will last for 2 years.
When I was foresaw rock bottom coming in 19 & 20, not in my wildest horror dreams did I think it would be this bad.

I thought it would be a 7 year rebuild just to get to the bottom 8. And 2 to 3 years in the bottom 5. But not at this percentage.

I agree that our current rebuild is tracking fine the kids we have gotten over the past two drafts are doing well plus a few extra studs in the mid 20s as you noted. I think we can shuffle a few cards though this offseason to try and help snap the senior players out of that malaise whilst injecting more youth.

Would not be against Oscar being skipper at all he did a great job when he had it. Just sounds like it is lined up for TB in my opinion.

I think with Shuey both options make sense haha If he retires that is fair as he can't stay on the park. But he clearly loves the club so if he stays, he can fill in when needed and guide the kids.

Not for it, but 6-8 wins still has you in 14th-16th at the end of the year, so top five draft picks and high end talent + your kids can get to know what winning tastes like.

Disagree on me trying to build a new team in one off season though. I don't think shifting 3 players out in the trade period is too unrealistic. Keeping one of Shuey or Gaff on, trading Darling for a like-for-like is all part of easing the transition. Three or so delistings and 2 or so retirmemts seems standard as well

On Shuey.

No
No
No
No
No

Has to be gone at the end of the season.

One of my all time favourite eagles, club legend, seemingly a great person and obviously current captain.

Unfortunately he can’t get and stay on the park.. and when he does he can’t go full tilt.

That’s the start of the hardest phase for the club (transitioning out older players). Shuey would be the hardest to tap on the shoulder, Hurn next… from there it becomes easier. We need to be a hell of a lot tougher as a club. Onfield no doubt, but also off field and this is where it starts.

Next stop no more than 1yr contracts for over 30’s

Then no more delist and redraft as rookies

Then conversations with the few mid aged players we have about whether they would explore opportunities elsewhere (Sheed, Duggan, Barrass maybe, Yeo)

When I was foresaw rock bottom coming in 19 & 20, not in my wildest horror dreams did I think it would be this bad.

I thought it would be a 7 year rebuild just to get to the bottom 8. And 2 to 3 years in the bottom 5. But not at this percentage.
Same. The injuries, as well as what it seems to me - the senior players have been checked out since 2019, and not having any top end young talent apart from OA and Barrass, has killed us.

On one hand, I don't mind the rapid sink to the bottom giving us premium draft picks. The catch is, we don't have enough senior talent that is both good enough and can stay on the park to help the young talent through. That's going to be hard to solve.

On Shuey.

No
No
No
No
No

Has to be gone at the end of the season.

One of my all time favourite eagles, club legend, seemingly a great person and obviously current captain.

Unfortunately he can’t get and stay on the park.. and when he does he can’t go full tilt.

That’s the start of the hardest phase for the club (transitioning out older players). Shuey would be the hardest to tap on the shoulder, Hurn next… from there it becomes easier. We need to be a hell of a lot tougher as a club. Onfield no doubt, but also off field and this is where it starts.

Next stop no more than 1yr contracts for over 30’s

Then no more delist and redraft as rookies

Then conversations with the few mid aged players we have about whether they would explore opportunities elsewhere (Sheed, Duggan, Barrass maybe, Yeo)

Shuey is giving 100%. His time may be near but he is one that can lreave with pride. I dont think Hurn has any intention of playing on but he is our best defender still.

At minimum the club needs to come clean on all outstanding contract announcements.

My suspicion is they are sitting on two x 2 year contracts for McGovern and Cripps which they are too afraid to announce.

Show the fans a little respect as I believe there are already further stuff ups like these in place and we don't even know the extent of how much more pain is to come yet.
What's the bet it gets announced the same day as the draft when we take pick 1.

An update on a few of the names that have been thrown around as players to get in:

My opinion on them.

Dow - is a spud 🥔, sure he runs all day but then his ball use is questionable as is his ability to read the play…. but yes he does run all day. Pass

Sharp - I watched a half of Gold Coast v Box Hill, with checking Sharps game out in mind. Pretty ordinary game and I certainly wouldn’t be entertaining the idea of trading anything much for him. He may well be delisted, as I can’t see the Suns being offered much for him. Would be on a par with West and better than Trew and Winders output. Not fussed if it was PSD maybe depending on who we have already dumped. I don’t see him as being much better than Joshua Brown who runs around at the Beagles. Sharp does have more upside but I have always questioned that fact that he squibs it too often for me to value him as high as other do.
Just comes across as one of those sulky , moody players.

Dev - I have watched three of his games this year, an upgrade on XON, Clark and West. Ports third rounder would be about on the mark for me. Would be happy to give him second chance, no real shame being kept out of the Lions team as their depth is impressive. Pursue in a trade.

Georgiades- coming off a knee injury and surplus to requirements now that we have Maric. Mitch has always had talent but the two major knocks on him are IMO, injury prone and lack of consistency. Pass.

I don’t see a whole lot of benefit of picking over other Clubs seconds or injury prone players.

Whilst not a superstar players like Hunt are the standard as a minimum that we should be chasing.

James Jordan from Melbourne is exactly the sort of player we should be targeting.

As hard as it is we just have remain strategic in our list rebuild, keep going to the draft and don’t bring in players over 24 and or other Clubs list cloggers.

This approach may take a little longer, but in the fullness of time, it will produce a list that could challenge and not just improve and have us sitting mid table for a decade.

The Club has a mountain of work to do to get this list back in any sort of state to be firstly competitive and then a challenger.

We are, sadly, looking for a four year stint in s**t city.
If you’re looking for WA born & bred, from the Lions I’d also be looking at Jaxon Prior.

Can play half back or wing, good left foot kick, will put his body on the line and fly the flag.

Is behind Berry, McCluggage and Fletcher for a spot on the wing, and behind the likes of Coleman and Wilmot at halfback.

There’s more than a few BigFooty Lions fans who don’t know why we’re not playing Dev and Prior ahead of the younger kids (and in their best positions).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back