Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously, on BigFooty:

Moose1414 said:
Just a good post to randomly remind people that the 2021 Nobel Prize winning scientist who developed the Oxford Astrazenecca vaccine doesn't believe in boosters either.

The scientist in question (who doesn't have a Nobel Prize btw) who very much does believe in boosters said:
Getting vaccinated now, and getting boosted, is still the best way to protect ourselves. Vaccines are still the way out.

Last edited:
Someone else asked you to expand on a statement of yours by asking three direct questions and your response was “no thanks”, but sure by all means accuse others of struggling to defend their position.

I said no thanks because the last thing this thread needs is another discussion on whether Ivermectin or hydroxychloriquine or any number off repurposed drugs administered to millions of people all over the world and backed by experts and governments all over the world except for in the Anglosphere. Which is the debate that that poster was asking me open up again, and its just not needed. You stopped defending your position because it reached the point that it became indefensible, and you found a cute out. And good for you, I know how hard it can be for you to lose an argument.

Previously, on BigFooty:

Every day on bigfooty, people who treat English as a second language and refuse to awe knowledge that context exists and can be applied to things people say. Adopt the born yesterday excuse to win their arguments.

Yes I paraphrased and said the fact she doesn't believe boosters are suitable for everyone was akin to her not believing in boosters. This was not fully accurate but was closer to the spirit of her position that what you guys are arguing.

Fine print: she believes boosters are appropriate for the immunocompromised.

All the megabrains on the thread: She recommends boosters and hers a snippet of a quote put together by a journalist along with other out of context quotes without the qualifier that she has a mixed position therefore she is saying everyone should take boosters. This is a fabrication of her position and against the spirit of what she has said about boosters.

She's at no point walked back her statements about most people not needing a booster. Her remarks on Omicron were within days of it being discovered and were not related to the question of boosters- she was talking about needing to be cautious with new variants and the need to develop variant specific new vaccines.

The concept of 3rd and 4th jabs being deployed to combat the vaccine evading nature of Omicron is science that whether sound or not simply didn't occur until weeks after her statements. She is a highly respected scientist in the field of covid vaccine tech, she's not making unsubstantiated proclamations about the efficacy of a product on a new variant prior to any research being done on it whatsoever. it just didn't happen and in no world would happen.

Now, if she's done a 180 on her position and you can find an article outlining an interview she has done after Omicron has been studied, then link it. Otherwise have the decency to either counter argue the valid points I've made here, or the decency to not claim a victory that didn't happen.

Boy, what a read. Some people do not take well to their mistakes being pointed out, to the point where they are in denial or flat out delusional about it.

Took 10 whole minutes to see a perfect example.

Anit-Vaxxer get's caught making up a story about a 7 year old dying from a vaccine

Cute. Nothing to say on being wrong about Sarah Gilbert recommending boosters for Omicron either I notice.

But exactly, why would you want to talk about the the most successful [and fully approved] treatment of covid, thats saved thousands of lives overseas, and the fact Australia opts for the take a panadol and go lie down approach.

We've had 2 years to prepare. We have a budget surplus and the one of the strongest economy's going around. You can get monoclonal antibodies almost everywhere, they are widely available in India even. Treating people who develop serious illness from covid is a known and effective method for stopping them dying from not being treated. I'm guessing that doing so can probably take significant pressure off our impoverished health system by treating the worse effected by Omicron. Crickets on this issue.

Federal regulators are considering limiting the authorization of certain monoclonal antibody treatments that have not proved effective against the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, a source familiar with the decision-making told CNN.

The US Food and Drug Administration could decide in the coming days to take steps to curb the use of antibody treatments produced by Eli Lilly and Regeneron, the source said, pointing to the growing body of evidence that shows their monoclonal therapies don't effectively neutralize the virus' Omicron variant.

The National Institutes of Health had recently updated its guidelines to advise clinics against using these treatments on patients with mild to moderate Covid-19 due to their diminished effectiveness against the Omicron variant.

If anyone is wondering where this monoclonal antibodies stuff is coming from, a handful of right-wing governors (most prominently Ron DeSantis of Florida and Greg Abbott of Texas) who actively fought against social restrictions, masks, lockdowns, and any sort of vaccine mandates, have heavily pushed monoclonal antibody treatments (which conveniently are paid for by the federal government, and not their states). These may be effective for people with minor or moderate symptoms; i.e., they are less likely to see those symptoms grow into symptoms that would require hospitalisation. The problems with this treatment: First, a lot (probably most) of these people would get better on their own, so the antibody course would be unnecessary for them. And second, these cost a lot of money. One round of monoclonal antibodies, depending on the manufacturer, cost anywhere from $1250 to $10,000 USD. These were often used to treat unvaccinated people with minor or moderate symptoms, so instead of these people getting a vaccine that costs the government around $20 and is much more effective at preventing hospitalisation than monoclonal antibodies, anti-vaxxers were coming down with mild Covid cases and then getting thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars worth of treatment courtesy of the federal government.

Extrapolating out the math here, Victoria yesterday had approximately 250,000 active positive cases of Covid. Even assuming only one round of monoclonal antibodies and assuming a fairly low price per dose of $2000 (AUD), to treat each of these people with one round of monoclonal antibodies would cost the government $500 million dollars. That is just about two weeks worth of positive cases. So needless to say, widespread use of these antibodies is not realistic, even if one were to ignore that it seems to be ineffective against Omicron (which is now the dominant variant in Australia).

Anit-Vaxxer get's caught making up a story about a 7 year old dying from a vaccine

No surprise that it spread like wildfire on Facebook, which is the biggest source of misinformation. Former Utah Jazz great John Stockton recently made reference to 100-150 "professional" athletes who allegedly died as a result of the vaccine. I saw the list and picked a couple of names at random; they were athletes who died as a result of undiagnosed heart problems. Many of them were not professional (some were teenagers, some were college-aged, some were doctors), many of the people named in the list died before vaccines were even available for their age group, and one person on the list died before the pandemic even began. But unfortunately anti-vaxxers like Stockton have brain worms and can't be bothered to do the slightest bit of research about a tweet or a facebook post that reinforces what they want to believe.

Interesting Mr McGowan is wanting to give his evidence at his upcoming court case via video link rather than attending the court in NSW…. ( not from having to walk over all those dead bodies ) but because he would have to do 14 days quarantine on his return…..
Seems whats good enough for everyone else isn’t good enough for him… all in this together and all that though.

Interesting Mr McGowan is wanting to give his evidence at his upcoming court case via video link rather than attending the court in NSW…. ( not from having to walk over all those dead bodies ) but because he would have to do 14 days quarantine on his return…..
Seems whats good enough for everyone else isn’t good enough for him… all in this together and all that though.

He’s literally saying what’s good enough for everyone else is good enough for him by not granting himself an exemption.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What? Isn't that a decision that lots of other West Australians are making, to not travel interstate because they don't want to have to miss work and quarantine away from their families upon returning to the state? I'm trying to figure out what straw you are trying to grasp at here.

If he travelled for the trial, you would have attacked him for doing so when others can't travel.

You are getting predictable with your single minded obsession with McGowan

If he travelled for the trial, you would have attacked him for doing so when others can't travel.

You are getting predictable with your single minded obsession with McGowan

Actually no. He should have to travel as ordered by the court… he should also have to suck it up on the way back the way he has forced others.

Its nothing personal, believe me mate I read so many comments as a mod I don't even know who you are. Lol.

How'zit Badge, bit of a strange post from you from you. Its creative and eccentric enough I'm actually little worried you might be spiralling out of control. Maybe take the rest of the day off ;)
…right.

Hey remember when someone said A? Well sure, a journalist can make it seem like they said B when you cut up their words and twist them.

Oh it’s a direct quote? Well yeah it looks like they’ve said B when you don’t apply the context.

Oh…the context is exactly as described.

Well I don’t believe they said B freely, they probably did it to not get cancelled.

If you think a person saying B and being directly quoted as saying B and, in the face of repeated proof, genuinely believe that they said B then you’re gaslighting yourself.

Must be nice.

Actually no. He should have to travel as ordered by the court… he should also have to suck it up on the way back the way he has forced others.

Interstate witnesses giving evidence by video link was pretty common even before Covid, now it’s preferred, for obvious reasons.

But how dare he ask for permission to do something that’s regularly done every day. Who does he think he is?

What? Isn't that a decision that lots of other West Australians are making, to not travel interstate because they don't want to have to miss work and quarantine away from their families upon returning to the state? I'm trying to figure out what straw you are trying to grasp at here.
This is like when some people on here got mad that Eddie McGuire wasn’t given an exemption to visit for the Grand Final because he’s a huge name with a huge platform and imagine how much publicity he could have brought to the event.

Knowing full well if an exemption was given to some campaigner celebrity just because they’re famous, that would have been criticised from pillar to post as well. #notbias

It’s absolutely imperative that the premier of Australia’s largest and fourth most populous state flies interstate in the middle of an unprecedented and ongoing public health crisis, just to give evidence in person in a spurious defamation claim brought by a megalomaniac billionaire Trump wannabe, then locks himself in quarantine on his return. Public governance be damned. Video technology be damned.

This is the hill I will die on.

It’s absolutely imperative that the premier of Australia’s largest and fourth most populous state flies interstate in the middle of an unprecedented and ongoing public health crisis, just to give evidence in person in a spurious defamation claim brought by a megalomaniac billionaire Trump wannabe, then locks himself in quarantine on his return. Public governance be damned. Video technology be damned.

This is the hill I will die on.
Oh so he can fly interstate on a whim but the rest of us need to fill in a G2G pass and have a family connection to the visited state. Interesting.

As if it wasn't confirmed already, a certain poster in this thread has gone off the deep end in his desperation to find hypocrisy.

People complain about not being able to see your interstate parents - do you know who else never sought an exemption to visit his parents in NSW? I'll give you a hint - his name rhymes with Hitler, Stalin and Mao (apparently).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back