Danger in no rush to sign

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Dangermouse, Delidio etc are hanging out for what? To go to a team with a greater chance of winning finals. And which teams in this situation have plenty of room in their salary cap? Colingwood, Hawthorn. Carlton? Probably not. So they must be looking at Geelong ( an ageing team on the decline), St Kilda (surely not). So why would they leave their current team?

Just a cynical exercise in my opinion to screw as much as they can out of their next contract. Or just what is now the norm for the better quality players. Business as usual and certainly not newsworthy for a less s**t paper than the Ragvertiser

The trouble remains that even if he is 100% guaranteed to re-sign with us, he's got two options:

1) re-sign now to put everyone's mind at ease and knock the issue on the head
2) put off contract talks, re-sign later in the hope that he raises his value via performances

If he's going to leave, he's got one option:

1) put off contract talks

What hurts is when quality players from other clubs make the decision to re-sign early on. The club gets a boost, the speculation dies, they look like a loyal/united group that are going places, other players might be encouraged to sign on.

Reality is, if he does want to go then there's no stopping him but his club of coisce would have to pay what he is worth in a trade, as none of the big Vic Clubs will be near the bottom of the ladder.

Also with free agency coming up it wouldn't be the worst year for him to leave if he's going to.

Hopefully it doesn't come to taht but any discussion now is just pointless and annoying speculation.

I think I agree with both Jenny and Carl on this thred. Wow.

Of couse he owuld be in no danger to leave if Neil was still coach.:eek:;)

1.Tippett
2.Knights
3.Dangerfield

Heard from more than one source... Not revealing on BF for obvious reasons

This is the other thing that concerns me. Not only are we losing much needed interstate born players every year we are also paying well above market value to retain intestaters. Surely this is going to cause an imbalance in our list at some stage. Strong clubs are suffering salary cap pressures because they are trying to keep premiership lists together or retain proven players. We will suffer salary cap problems because we are just trying to keep unproven players from going home.

Based on last years performance Danger, Tippett or Knights shouldn't be receiving anymore than $350-$400k.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would be staggered if Patrick sought a trade at the end of the season.

He is the most passionate and committed player that we have from outside of South Australia IMO. He speaks very highly of the club, features in a lot of interviews/community work/marketing, and seems to be undertaking a leadership role (Wooing Crouchy to the club etc). He also seems to have a very good relationship with Sando.

He'd be stupid to sign now as he could easily up his pay by $100,000-$200,000 a season if he has a breakout year. I think it will play out very similarly to the Walker saga.

There will be a lot of speculation as to whether he decides to stay or go, there will be rumours as to which clubs are right into him, but in reality it will just be a matter of time until he re-signs.

Not going anywhere.

When was the last time a marquee player signed on in February with a poorly performing club?

Goldstein re-signed with us last week and he had a year to run with GWS throwing the cheque book at him, he just didn't want to have the speculation constantly out there and an interruption for him and his team mates.

I think with players walking in recent years, people do not really take a player saying they plan to stay at their word, it is probably a poor reflection on the honesty of certain individuals which has now made life harder for the rest.

Griffen and Goldy have established thier roles in the side.

Patty would be stupid to sign now when he does not even know how his new coach will use him. Or how effective he may or may not be in the Sando game plan.

How many of you would re-sign an employment contract 9 months before it is due if you dont know what your actual role or how much you are worth to the company yet?

I am confident he will stay. It seems to me that the players the media try to "ship off" stay, and the quiet ones leave....Tip/Bock...Walker/Davis.........
No one in the media saw Gunston wanting to leave a couple of days before BnF night, and Armstrong was on AA late in the season saying he was thankfull to get a game and waiting to be asked to sign on.

With that in mind, what is Rory Sloanes contract status???

This is the other thing that concerns me. Not only are we losing much needed interstate born players every year we are also paying well above market value to retain intestaters. Surely this is going to cause an imbalance in our list at some stage. Strong clubs are suffering salary cap pressures because they are trying to keep premiership lists together or retain proven players. We will suffer salary cap problems because we are just trying to keep unproven players from going home.

Based on last years performance Danger, Tippett or Knights shouldn't be receiving anymore than $350-$400k.

Yep, you are on the money.... And believe me, some senior players at the club feel exactly the same way

Griffen and Goldy have established thier roles in the side.

Patty would be stupid to sign now when he does not even know how his new coach will use him. Or how effective he may or may not be in the Sando game plan.

How many of you would re-sign an employment contract 9 months before it is due if you dont know what your actual role or how much you are worth to the company yet?I am confident he will stay. It seems to me that the players the media try to "ship off" stay, and the quiet ones leave....Tip/Bock...Walker/Davis.........
No one in the media saw Gunston wanting to leave a couple of days before BnF night, and Armstrong was on AA late in the season saying he was thankfull to get a game and waiting to be asked to sign on.

With that in mind, what is Rory Sloanes contract status???

It is a gamble. Look at Taylor Walker. He held out for a break out year. It didnt happen. Walker IMO would of demanded more money if he signed just after his bag vs Fremantle in the trial. He ended up having an average year and he had the carpet pulled from under his feet by Davi$ signing with GWS.

Dangerfield is in a similar boat. Right now we all think he is going to have a huge year. But what if he gets injured? What if he just doens't have a great year and cant find the ball again?

He is definately considered a Geelong boy by the GFC and it supporters. Most are expecting that Geelong will have a serious crack at Dangerfield at the end of this season. To be honest if Danger lives up to anywhere near his potential this year Geelong will need to give up plenty to get him. Menzel?
Nar.

Geelong like to raise their own, so to speak. The only player we've taken from another club in the past decade or so, is Ottens.

Most of our players turn out to be great, and some turn out to be duds. We get rid of the duds/ones that can't get a game.

Menzel is most definitely not a dud and he most certainly can get a game. He will be an absolute freak.

There is no way we're letting go of him. Not for anyone.

So Dangermouse, Delidio etc are hanging out for what? To go to a team with a greater chance of winning finals. And which teams in this situation have plenty of room in their salary cap? Colingwood, Hawthorn. Carlton? Probably not. So they must be looking at Geelong ( an ageing team on the decline), St Kilda (surely not). So why would they leave their current team?

Hate to rain on your parade, but every team ages. And Geelong's average age has actually went down in 2012.

But whatever, we weren't the 4th oldest premiership team in history to win a GF in 2011 or anything. And convincingly.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I reckon Adelaide could make finals next year, if not certainly the year after. I even made a thread on it: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=882518

So I think Danger will stay. But if there happens to be a club mishap, he's welcome here any day ;)

My guess is that we will start seeing him in TV ads pretty soon, promoting Fasta Pasta or something like that. Get those endorsements happening. :thumbsu:

Is he worth the money he is rumoured to be on now?

No. I doubt many teams would pay him that much more than adelaide to get him to move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back