David King Says It Will Be A Cake Walk! That makes Me Very Nervous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah i hate being the number 1 defence in most categories.

We give the oppo a look but that's generally all they get.
We are the number 1 team scoring from the back half. With the smaller forward line than most i think this is by design. To spread the forward 50 out more and give elliot, mihocek ect more one on one opportunities.

7 or 8 years ago Kingy and his analysis was a little cringe, kind of amateur hour. But he's now almost exclusively the only ex player-cum-expert analyst that I take seriously.

In this instance I think he's called it early. Brisbane will have something to say about this year's flag I suspect.

For me, it's a two horse race.
Did you listen to Montagnas take on the Kayo show last night? MAde me a bit nervous with our ranking for scores in the front half.
Our dependence on scores from smalls also a bit of a concern.
They are usually the first to go missing come finals when the pressure goes up another level.

Anyway fingers crossed we can maintain the rage and come home like a freight train.

Do we go in hard this week with everything we have or leave a few tricks up our sleeve for September??

from my Delorean

Did you listen to Montagnas take on the Kayo show last night? MAde me a bit nervous with our ranking for scores in the front half.
Our dependence on scores from smalls also a bit of a concern.
They are usually the first to go missing come finals when the pressure goes up another level.

Anyway fingers crossed we can maintain the rage and come home like a freight train.

Do we go in hard this week with everything we have or leave a few tricks up our sleeve for September??

from my Delorean
we haven’t had our preferred forward set up all year, we have 6 weeks to get it right, I’m not overly concerned at this stage

we haven’t had our preferred forward set up all year, we have 6 weeks to get it right, I’m not overly concerned at this stage
I'm not too concerned by our lack of goals from the forward half. Unless you think we're a poor clearance team, or pressure team it's not difficult to turn around.

Nick and De Goey have played just two games together in midfield, only one with our first choice ruck.

We've got plenty of capacity for improvement, definitey have not hit our peak. I don't usually pay too much attention to these stats either. They bounce around over a season (Richmond went from 18th in forward efficiency to 1st I think) because they're averaging over small sample sizes and not taking into account opponents etc. The raw numbers are not enough.

We know that all year we've been inconsistent through games, so some averages are not going to favour us. Do our damage from middle and forward for a quarter or so then absorb from defence. Last year we stepped up in finals and played full games. If we can do that again we'll take a very large step forward. Either way, we are looking good.

I'm not too concerned by our lack of goals from the forward half. Unless you think we're a poor clearance team, or pressure team it's not difficult to turn around.

Clearances are a weakness (we’re rated 11th)

Here's a ladder I just did, since Round 12 (start of the BYE rounds). All teams have played 6 games and had a bye in this time. See who's in form and who's not in recent weeks, compared to the full season ladder.

Screenshot 2023-07-21 102925.jpg

To me, notable things are;

1. Pies still on top by percentage only but it's much higher than Port.
  2. Geelong would be just outside the top 4 (incidentally, where they sit on the actual ladder)
  3. Brisbane are at 7 and Melbourne 8 (these are the other main premiership contenders outside of Port)
  4. GWS is the surprise packet, but even though they've found form, their poor start to the season has put them on the back foot. Still could be dangerous in the 8. Likewise Richmond are 4th on equal wins to Collingwood, but also have cost themselves with a poor start.

Last edited:
Clearances are a weakness (we’re rated 11th)

For long periods we’ve had no recognised ruckman, no De Goey and/or Daicos playing in the backline.

I’ll be interested to see our clearance numbers in the final 6 weeks of the H & A season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only went to the 4 losing grand finals…

The winning one I watched on a big screen at a rave!

If we make the grand final, I think I know what I have to do.
Party Rave GIF by Dillon Francis

I agree with him. Sure, we’re top of the table for good reason, but this talk of caiewalks etc is total BS.

We’re not unbeatable and that’s been proven.

It’s a fair point.

We beat Port in round 2
We lost to Brisbane
We lost to Melbourne
We beat Geelong in round 1

Any other top sides worth talking about?

Agree.

Agree as well.

Not sure he’s said anything groundbreaking or controversial in any of this?

A lot of effort in this post - whoa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back