David King Says It Will Be A Cake Walk! That makes Me Very Nervous.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate it when Kingy or any other media person says stuff like this, if we fall over i always get nuffy oppo supporters giving me sh!t like i said it. I'm just enjoying it week by week, soaking in the enjoyment of watching us play. Focus on Port, then The Blosers. Finals and especially the GF is far from my mind at the moment. Enjoy the ride.

What do they mean.?

The spirit of it is “Don’t forget that you are mortal”

Supposedly in Roman times slaves were tasked with whispering it in the ears of conquering generals on parade as an antidote to the hero worship from the adoring crowds.

Not sure I have ever heard it described as a deal with the devil, but the Pies(0-10 against the Dees in recent contests) certainly pulled a somewhat aggressive move by having Hooker Harrison put quite a "heavy tag" on Ron Barrassi.

And a good proportion of the rest of our team thought it would be a fine day for fighting.

Nothing at Collingwood has been a cakewalk since they made a deal with the devil to win the 1958 Premiership.

The shortsightedness to stop Melbourne winning 4 in a row (and ultimately 6 in a row) has cost us dearly and will continue to do so forever.

What you talkin bout Willis?

The Miracle of 58' was one of our greatest ever victories.

"The Magpies were handicapped by the loss through injuries of Frank Tuck, centre-half-back Ron Kingston, half-forward Brian Dorman, and centre-man Bill Twomey. Hence they were forced to take several unseasoned players, including four teenagers, into the often-gladiatorial world of a VFL grand final. The newcomers included the 19-year-old future Collingwood hall-of-fame member Kevin Rose, and the 20-year-old future interstate centre-man, John Henderson, playing their fifth and seventh games respectively. However, more effective on the day were the somewhat more experienced tyros: Brian Beers, Graeme Fellowes, Ken Bennett, and also Ron Reeves, whose pace and anticipation in the back pocket made it difficult for Melbourne to chase down Collingwood's lead in the last quarter."

What you talkin bout Willis?

The Miracle of 58' was one of our greatest ever victories.

"The Magpies were handicapped by the loss through injuries of Frank Tuck, centre-half-back Ron Kingston, half-forward Brian Dorman, and centre-man Bill Twomey. Hence they were forced to take several unseasoned players, including four teenagers, into the often-gladiatorial world of a VFL grand final. The newcomers included the 19-year-old future Collingwood hall-of-fame member Kevin Rose, and the 20-year-old future interstate centre-man, John Henderson, playing their fifth and seventh games respectively. However, more effective on the day were the somewhat more experienced tyros: Brian Beers, Graeme Fellowes, Ken Bennett, and also Ron Reeves, whose pace and anticipation in the back pocket made it difficult for Melbourne to chase down Collingwood's lead in the last quarter."

My dad was there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always found the best side after the bye wins the flag most times. If not its the 2nd best side regardless of ladder position.
2010 beating Geelong and Saints in the final rounds built belief.
2011 2 losses to Geelong in the H&A season while Geelong had form to beat Melbourne by 186 points late.
Hawks and Richmond peaked late during their dynasties. Even though Geelong, Sydney or Freo would be top of the ladder, we all had gut feelings of Hawks and Tigers being the best with strong post bye form.
Then there were the exceptions. 2012 Sydney were 2nd best yet beat Hawks during the season in tassie. 2017 tigers likely 2nd best, 2018 wce 2nd best.
The Bulldogs were the only wildcards to buck the trend since Adelaide in 97/98.
Same again in the 2000-2009 era, the best post bye winning, except 2nd best in Hawks in 08 and 05/06 2nd best side winning.
The games against Port, Brisbane and Geelong are the key and many are mentioning this on the board as its a common gut feeling we see year after year.

Last edited:
As sure as King is, Montagna w***er said on 360 tonight that he believes the gap is closer to what ppl think (to Collingwood)

We haven’t seen Pies run and gun against top sides since early in the season etc.

Well, we are ****ed now!

Then says, think we will beat Port and still the best in it

What does Montagna know about winning premierships? lol

As sure as King is, Montagna w***er said on 360 tonight that he believes the gap is closer to what ppl think (to Collingwood)

I agree with him. Sure, we’re top of the table for good reason, but this talk of caiewalks etc is total BS.

We’re not unbeatable and that’s been proven.

We haven’t seen Pies run and gun against top sides since early in the season etc.

It’s a fair point.

We beat Port in round 2
We lost to Brisbane
We lost to Melbourne
We beat Geelong in round 1

Any other top sides worth talking about?

Then says, think we will beat Port …

Agree.

… and still the best in it

Agree as well.

Not sure he’s said anything groundbreaking or controversial in any of this?

The spirit of it is “Don’t forget that you are mortal”

Supposedly in Roman times slaves were tasked with whispering it in the ears of conquering generals on parade as an antidote to the hero worship from the adoring crowds.
I agree with him. Sure, we’re top of the table for good reason, but this talk of caiewalks etc is total BS.

We’re not unbeatable and that’s been proven.

It’s a fair point.

We beat Port in round 2
We lost to Brisbane
We lost to Melbourne
We beat Geelong in round 1

Any other top sides worth talking about?

Agree.

Agree as well.

Not sure he’s said anything groundbreaking or controversial in any of this?
Yep, I agree with everything Montagna has said. We did beat Port in round 2, but they are a hugely different side to that now.

We aren't locking the ball in our 50, the opposition walks it out against us compared to the other top teams that play the game in their front half. We are far from perfect.
Good thing Fly is insistent on always improving and us never declaring ourselves ‘perfect’.

We aren't locking the ball in our 50, the opposition walks it out against us compared to the other top teams that play the game in their front half. We are far from perfect.

Rather than see it as a weakness like so many others do, realistically it's a MASSIVE opportunity for us. We've managed to be 15-2 with this part of our game falling mid-range in the league, yet if we were to marginally improve we will be absolutely TROUNCING teams (similar to the effect Mitchell had on our clearance work this year, though the forward half lock in is more game day coaching and ongoing practice).

We're still a work in progress, hence why King came out a week or two ago and said he sees the most improvement in us.

I know it's a long way to go, but opposition teams should be f**king scared. We're just getting started.

Rather than see it as a weakness like so many others do, realistically it's a MASSIVE opportunity for us. We've managed to be 15-2 with this part of our game falling mid-range in the league, yet if we were to marginally improve we will be absolutely TROUNCING teams (similar to the effect Mitchell had on our clearance work this year, though the forward half lock in is more game day coaching and ongoing practice).

We're still a work in progress, hence why King came out a week or two ago and said he sees the most improvement in us.

I know it's a long way to go, but opposition teams should be f**king scared. We're just getting started.
McStay could be a big asset here.
And in finals we will see the pressure coming from mcreery hill and elliot go up a whole other notch

I think we will see massive improvement in the forward half over the coming weeks, we haven’t had our preferred front 6 since very early on the the season.
Get McStay and Checkers in there with the resting Ruck or Johnson and the 3 smalls working together and away we go.

I was watching Footy classified last night,and I couldn’t believe my ears when Kane Cornes said that we were probably a 20% better side than anyone else in the competition.What a turnaround from him.He’s literally done a 180 degree turnaround with us.He’s gone from not rating us at all,to saying we’re the best team in the competition.I’m not sure if I like it when people like that jump on the bandwagon.

He's a massive Port fan and like all of us would be feeling anxious.

He's dealing with it by jumping on the 'Collingwood's flag to lose' bandwagon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back