David King Says It Will Be A Cake Walk! That makes Me Very Nervous.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive had a few ripping days on the punt with racing/footy but im not naive enough to think id be anywhere near in front. Anyone that says they are is in denial
One day after I'd had a big win, an inveterate gambler told me, "Just remember, on the punt there's winning days and losing years".

Gee, the media folks can’t do anything right?

Talk us down and they’re idiots who don’t know anything.

Talk us up and they’re jinxing us.

You don’t moderate here anymore, so you don’t know things!!! /sarcasm

Thing that makes me the most nervous, is actually being 15-2. In 2011, the sense of entitlement from the previous year was there, and by this stage we would have been 16-1. Being much older, and much less wise, the most worrying thing is the lack of anxiety surrounding every week. Look at last year, and I for one didn’t know what this side could do, but come 2023, and they just keep finding a way. It’s almost like we flick a switch. Fly seems to be playing 4D chess behind that calm exterior. He hasn’t even smashed a phone yet!

I think Fly will know how to win finals now, but can he be the coach to get us through a Grand Final? Nobody since old Jock has gotten us through more than one. Draws for Hafey and Mick don’t count 😂

It’s almost underwhelming how easy we seem to be doing this, so I don’t know how I would be if we actually won the thing, and having to live through summer without any football. Seems like blasphemy to say that EVENTUALLY you can only play the highlights DVD enough before you should probably go find another hobby 🤣

We are the most humble side I’ve seen in my lifetime, and we really play for each other and our fans. We climbed off the canvas so quick from what might have been a rebuild, to premiership contenders. I look forward to seeing Darcy holding the cup, because he is the best leader this club has had in a long time.

While I’m at it, in the spirit of the Ancient Roman hatred of Carthage, and my own misery from 2002-03:

Brisbana delenda est

Brisbane must be destroyed

Hope we play them, and we belt them, on grand final day in October!

You don’t moderate here anymore, so you don’t know things!!! /sarcasm

Thing that makes me the most nervous, is actually being 15-2. In 2011, the sense of entitlement from the previous year was there, and by this stage we would have been 16-1. Being much older, and much less wise, the most worrying thing is the lack of anxiety surrounding every week. Look at last year, and I for one didn’t know what this side could do, but come 2023, and they just keep finding a way. It’s almost like we flick a switch. Fly seems to be playing 4D chess behind that calm exterior. He hasn’t even smashed a phone yet!

I think Fly will know how to win finals now, but can he be the coach to get us through a Grand Final? Nobody since old Jock has gotten us through more than one. Draws for Hafey and Mick don’t count 😂

It’s almost underwhelming how easy we seem to be doing this, so I don’t know how I would be if we actually won the thing, and having to live through summer without any football. Seems like blasphemy to say that EVENTUALLY you can only play the highlights DVD enough before you should probably go find another hobby 🤣

We are the most humble side I’ve seen in my lifetime, and we really play for each other and our fans. We climbed off the canvas so quick from what might have been a rebuild, to premiership contenders. I look forward to seeing Darcy holding the cup, because he is the best leader this club has had in a long time.

While I’m at it, in the spirit of the Ancient Roman hatred of Carthage, and my own misery from 2002-03:

Brisbana delenda est

Brisbane must be destroyed

Hope we play them, and we belt them, on grand final day in October!
Phonse Kyne?

I’ve got a very 2011 feeling about this unfortunately for me. I was overseas for 5 weeks in 2011 missed most of our games where we blitz teams in 1 quarter.

Away overseas this year for the same time and we are doing nearly the same thing. Geelong and getting primed too 😅😂

Love the way we are playing the last couple of weeks.
I disagree, 2011 always looked ominous and those blow outs felt different. Seems to be more humility with how this group is going about it.

We won’t have a head coach go on the footy show and completely derail the finals campaign either!

Having said that, I don’t think we are a shoe in at all. Winning is all about how you arrive to the finals series, so it’s always up in the air. As with others, I’ve seen us lose too many to be too confident.

King also said that there is a gap between us and everyone. And this weeks game will show that gap.
I’m not so sure.

Port have been punching above their weight.

They're ranked 11th in defence for a reason.

The only way they beat us is if they jump us by 5-6 goals early, which is very unlikely.

We will storm over the top of them into odds on flag faves at 10pm on Saturday evening.

Last edited:
Don't we have a 33% winning record against top 4 teams?

Didn’t we lose in Brisbane like every other team that’s played there this season? We shouldn’t have to play there in the finals if we don’t fully fall over. The other loss was Melbourne? By 2 points on kings bday? We suck in kings bday. We are a queens bday operation. And we still nearly won.

If the AFL where smart about it, they wouldn't waste their time with a finals qualification rnd the should make the GF a best of 3 series this would also ensure that the better team for the season actually has a greater chance of winning in the event they choke in Game 1

Once they update our injury list on the AFL website I feel like this is our shortest injury list this late into a season in a very long time... The stars are aligning my friends and let's ******* enjoy the ride.

In 2010 I was so uncomfortable with the heavy favourites tag in the grand final that I took out an "emotional hedge": big bet on St Kilda, so if we lost at least I'd win some money. (Happy to lose the money if we won.)

Game day GF1: watched from home but a mate's GF party had to relocate to our place last minute as his aerial dropped out. So I had to watch with a bunch of randoms. A bloke I'd never met sitting on MY couch barracking loudly for St kilda ffs.

When the siren went for the draw I had a sickening feeling that we hadn't won AND I'd lost a lot of money.

But they actually paid out half on the draw, which put me well ahead given the odds - enough to pay for a scalped ticket to the replay!
The only GF I've been to (& a great night at the Grace Darling post game).

I'm considering taking out some emotional hedges this year given those odds...
I reckon $100 on Daics for the Brownlow into Pies for the flag, and $100 on Daics for the Brownlow into Port for the flag is the best value hedge you can get. If they hang on to second, no one is stopping them from getting to the GF, and given Daics basically has the charlie in the bag then you are locking in a win.

Melb also proved only a few weeks ago that we are beatable, and we still have parts to our game that have been exposed by the good teams, so the job is far from done.

We have parts of our game that is exposed by average (and even below) teams... We give all teams a good look at knocking us off, even though we win in the end most of the time.

I know someone who had a multi of Judd (Brownlow) x Collingwood (Premiership).

After Judd won he got nervous and put some money on the draw too at $101.

Draw cashed, multi was still good as it was “Premiership” rather than “GF winner” and it cashed the following week.

He was laughing in his undies.
Sounds suspect.

If he is smart enough to get nervous about it, he wouldn't be putting money on the 'draw' to hedge it, unless he also put money on the loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Once they update our injury list on the AFL website I feel like this is our shortest injury list this late into a season in a very long time... The stars are aligning my friends and let's ******* enjoy the ride.
In theory it should be just Dean (Season) and WHE (2-3 weeks).

If the AFL where smart about it, they wouldn't waste their time with a finals qualification rnd the should make the GF a best of 3 series this would also ensure that the better team for the season actually has a greater chance of winning in the event they choke in Game 1

I like the best of three idea. My nervousness is that we can lose to any good team on any given day, but are more likely to win than lose this year (because I think we are the best in it). So I would be sooo much more confident if we were allowed a best of three rathern than one off.

Sounds suspect.

If he is smart enough to get nervous about it, he wouldn't be putting money on the 'draw' to hedge it, unless he also put money on the loss.

My understanding is that yes, he also put money on the Saints in the week leading up to the drawn GF. But the point is, if you bet on three possible outcomes, and somehow two of them win, and both of those are 100-1 or greater, you tend to do pretty bloody well out of it!

We have a gameplan, a coach, experience & talent. It's about bringing those on the day. I have never been more confident. I have consciously followed the pies since '70. Nothing is a cakewalk.

“…Oh, Nothing is a Cakewalk,
For the Good ol’ Collingwood!”

Yeah, it works 😃

I was watching Footy classified last night,and I couldn’t believe my ears when Kane Cornes said that we were probably a 20% better side than anyone else in the competition.What a turnaround from him.He’s literally done a 180 degree turnaround with us.He’s gone from not rating us at all,to saying we’re the best team in the competition.I’m not sure if I like it when people like that jump on the bandwagon.

I was watching Footy classified last night,and I couldn’t believe my ears when Kane Cornes said that we were probably a 20% better side than anyone else in the competition.What a turnaround from him.He’s literally done a 180 degree turnaround with us.He’s gone from not rating us at all,to saying we’re the best team in the competition.I’m not sure if I like it when people like that jump on the bandwagon.

Attachments

• 73853F58-4FAD-4963-B44A-0F0E13A3FA8B.gif
    73853F58-4FAD-4963-B44A-0F0E13A3FA8B.gif
    4 MB · Views: 26

Brisbana delenda est

I think Memento Mori is perhaps more warranted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back